Rome Coliseum- my tour was just canceled-

DENNAS

I'm actually just venting. I'm here in Rome now - we arrived today. Got an email today- good thing I checked!! -- that my Rome underground / third ring tour was canceled Wednesday. Technical Surveys or something or other. All morning tours until 12:30 are a no go. Kind of bummed. I have the entrance tickets so we will just go and walk around -

By the way Rome is lovely! We are adjusting well to the time change so far- 😉

I'm so sorry your tour was cancelled. These things happen -- my first attempt to visit the Roman domus under Palazzo Valentini was cancelled due to flooding after several days of terrible rain. :loudcry:

You will enjoy the inside visit. If you have binoculars with you (or a camera with a good zoom), you can sort of see down into the underneath area (assuming the planking allows).

For even better views than the third ring of the Colosseum, go to the nearby Forum Hotel and have a drink on their rooftop terrace. You actually get wonderful views of the Forum and across the Tiber (best done late afternoon to sunset)!

Sorry you didn't get to do the tour. But, you still had your "inside" ticket to be able to enjoy the Colosseum. Sometimes we get what we want, sometimes we have to do a Plan B - not even a private excursion could have helped with this one. You're in Rome! Enjoy what you can! Like cruisemom said (if you are still there), go have a rooftop adult beverage and enjoy the marvelous view!!!

I said to hubby "let me call another private tour operator" then realized UH YEAH so that won't exactly work too well 😉

It's fine. It is what it is. We plan- God laughs. Lol.

Albergo Santa Chiara was a great choice cruisemom!! And we had a great first day. I couldn't even push it (coliseum tour) off to another day because I have Vatican tour tix one day and Borghese tomorrow with Spanish Steps and Trevi fountain and whatever else we toss in. We love the Pantheon area - Oh and had gelato tonight. First day and every day while here I'm sure !! It's soooo yummy.

Love the gelato too! We got 2 servings each n a stall just before getting back to the parkng building from the Vatican. Hope you will skip the line at Vatican and Sistine Chapel. So many things to appreciate. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I said to hubby "let me call another private tour operator" then realized UH YEAH so that won't exactly work too well 😉

It's fine. It is what it is. We plan- God laughs. Lol.

Albergo Santa Chiara was a great choice cruisemom!! And we had a great first day. I couldn't even push it (coliseum tour) off to another day because I have Vatican tour tix one day and Borghese tomorrow with Spanish Steps and Trevi fountain and whatever else we toss in. We love the Pantheon area - Oh and had gelato tonight. First day and every day while here I'm sure !! It's soooo yummy.

good to hear you could finally laugh and roll with it. I love the area around The Pantheon at night! Just the nighttime energy, people lazing around the fountain, the hawkers throwing those LED balls in the air, families... Too bad a lot of our cruiser friends don't get that chance to experience Rome quietly and slowly at night.

Enjoy the rest of your trip! Hit up Tazzo d' Oro there on the Pantheon piazza for a very refreshing espresso granita. Get it with whip cream on top. Oh My!!!! Go the cashier first, place your order and pay, then take your receipt over and put it on the bar and wait. If you want, put a little coin on top - sometimes it will help you get service faster. That granita is one of my favorite guilty pleasures when I'm in Rome. Tastes sooo good, especially on a hot day!

Love the gelato too! We got 2 servings each n a stall just before getting back to the parkng building from the Vatican. Hope you will skip the line at Vatican and Sistine Chapel. So many things to appreciate. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have an early morning tour all set up for Thursday. Can't wait !

Borghese museum today was wonderful and we did the audio tour for $5 extra each. So glad I listen to you all - 👍🏼😉 it was perfect. Decided to walk back and did the Trevi fountain which was jammed and the Spanish steps. Hawkers all over trying to sell anything from water to selfie stick pics to roses. The roses guys were the worst. I had to continuously say no over and over - ugh.

good to hear you could finally laugh and roll with it. I love the area around The Pantheon at night! Just the nighttime energy, people lazing around the fountain, the hawkers throwing those LED balls in the air, families... Too bad a lot of our cruiser friends don't get that chance to experience Rome quietly and slowly at night.

Enjoy the rest of your trip! Hit up Tazzo d' Oro there on the Pantheon piazza for a very refreshing espresso granita. Get it with whip cream on top. Oh My!!!! Go the cashier first, place your order and pay, then take your receipt over and put it on the bar and wait. If you want, put a little coin on top - sometimes it will help you get service faster. That granita is one of my favorite guilty pleasures when I'm in Rome. Tastes sooo good, especially on a hot day!

Done. Going there and getting one- Maybe I'll leave now. I've read that place is good!

Done. Going there and getting one- Maybe I'll leave now. I've read that place is good!

I don't know if you'll be able to get in, but just off the Pantheon piazza is an amazing restaurant - Armando al Pantheon. Go right at opening and see if you can get in (usually packed with reservations made well in advance) or try it for lunch. Also, on the Pantheon piazza (in front and to the right if you are facing), there is a marvelous "deli" that has good sandwiches and yummy pastries.

If you are taking the Metro out to the Vatican complex, if you get off at Cipro, there is a famous pizza shop there - Bonci Pizzarium. Best pizza al taglio that I've ever had!!!

Get off the 'net and get out and enjoy!!! You can post to us later when you get home;)

I don't know if you'll be able to get in, but just off the Pantheon piazza is an amazing restaurant - Armando al Pantheon. Go right at opening and see if you can get in (usually packed with reservations made well in advance) or try it for lunch. Also, on the Pantheon piazza (in front and to the right if you are facing), there is a marvelous "deli" that has good sandwiches and yummy pastries.

If you are taking the Metro out to the Vatican complex, if you get off at Cipro, there is a famous pizza shop there - Bonci Pizzarium. Best pizza al taglio that I've ever had!!!

Get off the 'net and get out and enjoy!!! You can post to us later when you get home;)

Haha we had been out and about all day And needed some down time. I did go back to the coffee place and got exactly what you suggested. Omg it was great- 2 other ladies were having the exact same thing.

Thanks for all the other suggestions!! 😊

Haha we had been out and about all day And needed some down time. I did go back to the coffee place and got exactly what you suggested. Omg it was great- 2 other ladies were having the exact same thing.

Thanks for all the other suggestions!! 😊

Always my pleasure. Someone told me about that granita and it has now become a "must do" every time I visit Rome. Honestly, I'd rather have that (and pay extra for the whip) than a scoop of gelato!!