Have you used Downey Wrinkle Release ?

jnc411

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask those of you that have used Downey Wrinkle Release how to use it. I tried it and I must have done it wrong, it didn't do much. How damp do you get the fabric ? Doesn't it leave water type spots on the silky fabrics. I know probably dumb questions. But I tried it once before and just didn't get a good result. But would like to try it again before our next cruise in March , hopefully I can get it right this time so I can take it with us. So please help the "dummy" :(

Cori

I take Downey Wrinkle release on all of our cruises and use it for items such as: rayon and polyester blend shirts; polyester skirts and dockers.

I do not use it on formal dresses, never tried, doesn't sound like a great idea.

Have found it does not do much for 100% cotton unless I press and pull the moistened fabric a lot and then press and pull again when fabric is almost dry. At that point, I figure it's easier and faster to send the item to the laundry for pressing instead of spending time in my cabin ``ironing'' with my finger tips.

Dianne

I like things well pressed so I have not had good results with the product. I'm also sensitive to perfumes and this product does have a smell to it. I had the same problem as you, I lightly sprayed an article, pressed with my hands and had to keep pressing it out. The clothing never did look "pressed", rather just a little less wrinkled. It also seemed to take a fairly long time to dry. I thought I would more than likely get the same results from misting with plain water.

However, some people swear by it, some don't mind the odor, so it really does depend on the individual. I like to press our things very well and then pack carefully in dry cleaner bags and packing envelopes. We have very few wrinkles, those are quickly removed with a travel steamer.

Always test the product on an inconspicous area first.

I have had the best result with rayon, rayon/polyester, other polyester blends and knits of all kinds (polos, t-shirts, etc). Some 100% cottons (other than the previously mentioned knits) do well if they are not too heavy. I also get a better result with spraying the item then shaking the wrinkles out. You can lay it flat then and smooth with your hands or hang the item. The generic product from Dollar General has less of a perfume to it.

I'm with AuntieNance.................shake, then smooth!

I love the stuff. It probably wouldn't do knife edge creases or anything like that, but for casual cottons, polys, rayons, etc. it's great. I even keep a bottle in my dressing area at home, for a quick pick up if something has gotten sideways on a hangar............. By the way, my dressing area is my bathroom!! ;)

I put water in a spray bottle and spritz it on my clothes that get wrinkled in the suitcase. I use my hand to flatten the fabric a bit. Works just the same as Downy Wrinkle Release and it doesn't smell. It doesn't take the place of an iron for a cotton blouse, but if you pre-iron it at home, it will bring it back to life. It's also great for T-shirts or shorts that have that "not so fresh" look when you pull them out of the suitcase.

We brought it with us and hung our garments up to wear and sprayed them pretty good. Then turned on hair dryer and while blowing hot/warm air over them,smooth them down with hand.It worked like a charm!:)

Thanks for the tip. Sounds great. I'm going to try it today.

Dianne

For minor creases in clothes I simply use the hairdryer and and smooth out. This method works on most fabrics - be careful not to have the hairdyrer too hot or use on very delicate materials

This was not one of my ideas, I read about it in a travel magazine. With careful packing and a hairdryer (usually found in hotel or cruise ship bedroom) I have never used my travel iron since.:)

Elsea

I agree that you will not get a crisply starched result, but have found that it works fairly well. I don't generally use it at home except for "last minute" emergencies, but do travel with it. Maybe I overuse, but it does tend to leave my clothes damp. I have learned to unpack everything right away, spray it, hang it, smooth it & allow it to dry before wearing. I don't recommend using it as you are getting dressed (which is my usual time for ironing) because you will have the dampness & smell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I love this stuff and use it all the time since I don't like to iron. I have never used it on anything that is dry clean only though. As soon as I arrive, I unpack my clothing and spray with generous amounts of the wrinkle release and hang in closet - by the time I need to wear them, they are dry and the smell is mostly gone. At home, I use it instead of ironing - I spray clothing and toss in the dryer for a few minutes.

I have a hard time finding it here and contacted Downy as to where I can buy it. They told me Wal-Mart (I don't buy anything at Wal-Mart), Target and several grocery stores and K-Mart.

I buy Downey Wrinkle Releaser at Albertsons. It's with the spray starch and stuff at my store. I have also seen it at Smith's. You may have to ask at your grocery store as they sometimes hide it in really weird places! :)

If you don't have any Downey Wrinkle Releaser, Febreeze is the same stuff! My girlfriend mistakenly found this out when she picked up the wrong bottle and sprayed down her clothes. I now only buy Febreeze, it's cheaper than Downey!

If you don't have any Downey Wrinkle Releaser, Febreeze is the same stuff! My girlfriend mistakenly found this out when she picked up the wrong bottle and sprayed down her clothes. I now only buy Febreeze, it's cheaper than Downey!

Thanks for the tip about Febreeze. I really prefer the scent of Febreeze over Downy, so I'll give it a try. I hate ironing and always take Downy Wrinkle Release with me while cruising, but use it sparingly at home because I haven't been able to find it here in Canada.

I read on another thread that you can mix one part liquid fabric softener to 15 parts water. Poster said it worked just as well as Downy, and a lot cheaper. Might give this a try too, but I don't usually use fabric softener.

I am so glad I picked some of this stuff up at WalMart the other night. After taking it home, I tried it out on one side of one of my husband's Oxford-style shirts. It worked beautifully. The only thing I would change? The scent. It reeks. But thank goodness it smells more like laundry than perfume.

Archived