Three Queens NYC 13th Jan 2008

luv2cruzuk

Hi Everyone,

Just wondered who was on which ship etc.... Also does anyone have any info on anything special planned? Fireworks perhaps?

I'm booked on the QM2 out of NYC on the 13th.... I'm also thinking about sailing over on the QE2 from Southampton on the 6th....

Not sure if there's a thread already opened specific to this event? Let me know if there is.

Regards,

David.

Hello David...there is a thread that discusses this a bit altho there is no real definitive word as to what will actually transpire. I'm very interested in booking the Jan 13th cruise too if there will be some special events when the 3 sail. I'd guess that would be fantastic to see and be a part of. But I've emailed Cunard and was told they don't know yet...big surprise there...So I'm waiting to hear what others might find.

Look here for the thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=441766

Cheers, penny

Hello Everyone,

I just booked yesterday for the Queen Victoria on Jan 13,2008. I could not resist the historic significance of the event. Also I have been wanting to go thru the Panama Canal for some time plus I live in NYC.

• 2 weeks later...

QE2 for 90 days out of NYC.

I am really hopping that since the Brooklyn pier as I read on another thread only has one slip that we will all be on the west side. The QE2 and the VIC leave at 5 pm and the QM2 leaves at 7 pm. Guess they couldn't figure out how to get all three in - unloaded- reloaded - fueled and out at the same time.

However, it should be great fun and very historic. As I said on another thread we need streamers and a band at least. The NYFD fireboats will be out in full strength. Only 351 days.

I'm holding QV NY to LA if the budget holds up. QE2 40th anniversary trip is a big budget item plus a few other home expenses will come first.

I'm not holding space right now but I want to be on some small boat for the 3 entering the harbor together. OR ... Anyone have an apartment high up with deck or roof access and view of statue?

QE2 for 90 days out of NYC.

I am really hopping that since the Brooklyn pier as I read on another thread only has one slip that we will all be on the west side. The QE2 and the VIC leave at 5 pm and the QM2 leaves at 7 pm. Guess they couldn't figure out how to get all three in - unloaded- reloaded - fueled and out at the same time.

However, it should be great fun and very historic. As I said on another thread we need streamers and a band at least. The NYFD fireboats will be out in full strength. Only 351 days.

I think you will find that QE2 & QV will use West Side piers and by leaving at 5pm or thereafter, they can both rendez-vous in the Upper Bay with QM2 sailing from Brooklyn at 7pm.

Ted

I think you will find that QE2 & QV will use West Side piers and by leaving at 5pm or thereafter, they can both rendez-vous in the Upper Bay with QM2 sailing from Brooklyn at 7pm.

Ted

Now there is a fine thought. Sounds about as perfect as one could get given the circumstance of limited pier space all around. However it works out, it will be a festive event worthy of much celebration on board.

Ted

Given the size of the QM2 and the fact that there is only 1 berth in Brooklyn, we can safely assume then the QE2 will dock in Manhattan when she comes in from the transatlantic? I assume that will hold true as well for the QV.

This is mildly critical for Winter Crossers as we were deeply disappointed by the late changing move to Brooklyn this year after anticipating West Side piers (and scheduled as such) for so long.

According to the Cunard website (US version) the transatlantic crossing has its own booking code unlike this year when it was part of the World Cruise. As such it does not appear that you can easily extend your booking to Ft. Lauderdale as you could in 2007 when many people from the UK got off there or transferred to the QM2.

I would suspect with three Queens in NYC on the 13th, and two Queens in Southampton on the 6th there will be a plethora of space available and the QE2 maybe discounted heavily again. I am debating whether to book early (as I did last year) or play the game like so many did this year.

Given the size of the QM2 and the fact that there is only 1 berth in Brooklyn, we can safely assume then the QE2 will dock in Manhattan when she comes in from the transatlantic? I assume that will hold true as well for the QV.

I would suspect with three Queens in NYC on the 13th, and two Queens in Southampton on the 6th there will be a plethora of space available and the QE2 maybe discounted heavily again. I am debating whether to book early (as I did last year) or play the game like so many did this year.

For Jan 08 the QE2 is wide open as far as space is concerned, while the QV has limited space and I would imagine will sell out sooner rather than later. But it's still a year away, so space will reopen too.

Red Hook has one berth and will have for some time. Manhattan has three as 88 is being rebuilt, to be finished late 2007, so 90 both sides and south side of 92 are available. Bayonne has two and can handle more but shoreside facilities are still limited, so one is best and two works OK.

Ted

This is mildly critical for Winter Crossers as we were deeply disappointed by the late changing move to Brooklyn this year after anticipating West Side piers (and scheduled as such) for so long.

According to the Cunard website (US version) the transatlantic crossing has its own booking code unlike this year when it was part of the World Cruise. As such it does not appear that you can easily extend your booking to Ft. Lauderdale as you could in 2007 when many people from the UK got off there or transferred to the QM2.

Hi,

Noticed your history writeup showing QE2 9/99. Perchance was that the 16 day Mediterranean Cruise, leaving Southampton on September 3rd?

My wife and I were aboard her for that one, and had a great time. Istanbul was our favourite port. We were part of the Mauretania "Rowing Club", with our digs on Deck Four. Still had a good time, though. You?

Kurt

This thread will probably bounce around a good bit with where will be in/near Manhattan/Red Hook three Cunard liners 13 January 2008. A lot of "he said, she said, I've been told."

I cannot imagine Cunard marketing would let the opportunity go to have the three liners photographed at the West Side piers.

Anyone know factual reasons this cannot be done?

Hi,

Noticed your history writeup showing QE2 9/99. Perchance was that the 16 day Mediterranean Cruise, leaving Southampton on September 3rd?

My wife and I were aboard her for that one, and had a great time. Istanbul was our favourite port. We were part of the Mauretania "Rowing Club", with our digs on Deck Four. Still had a good time, though. You?

Kurt

Unfortunately no, we left Southampton mid-September I think 15th or 16th and got off in NYC. The ship continued onto Boston or New England and we requested disembarkation in NYC. My paternal grandfather served on the original QM (now in Long Beach, CA) and we went to Europe on a late summer holiday. Flew from Charlotte, NC to London and did our holiday and decided to come back on the Queen.

I would love to do a Mediterranean cruise on the QE2. I know they are popular on the QE2 now that she is based out of Southampton and fairly reasonable. Charlotte has at least two direct flights a day to London and they are reasonably priced with little to no fuss. A major client of mine who operates an automotive business here is also a semi retired exec with US Airways. He ensures that anytime that I fly overseas I get bumped to first. That 1999 crossing was extremely rough with broken windows and fixtures inside.

Otherwise I enjoy each and every experience on the QE2.

Unfortunately no, we left Southampton mid-September I think 15th or 16th and got off in NYC. The ship continued onto Boston or New England and we requested disembarkation in NYC.

I would love to do a Mediterranean cruise on the QE2. I know they are popular on the QE2 now that she is based out of Southampton and fairly reasonable. Charlotte has at least two direct flights a day to London and they are reasonably priced with little to no fuss. A major client of mine who operates an automotive business here is also a semi retired exec with US Airways. He ensures that anytime that I fly overseas I get bumped to first. That 1999 crossing was extremely rough with broken windows and fixtures inside.

Otherwise I enjoy each and every experience on the QE2.

I remember that storm very well. We got off QE2 the same day you got on. The buzz around the ship at the end of the Med cruise was about the poor souls that were to remain on her for the crossing. It was the remnants of a hurricane, and QE2 had to sail through it to get to Boston.

My wife and I departed Heathrow that afternoon and the storm clouds were quite noticeable from the great height. We were happy that we weren't aboard her for that crossing. Not that she doesn't handle the heavy seas like a trooper! That she does. Liners in their element!

In 1974 we sailed through a vicious storm on QE2 and can attest to her sea manners. Several of the older pax commented that she was a real snappy roller, not unlike the Normandie, or United States. She plowed through the waves, still making 25 knots. Impressive!

We were sitting at the Double Up Bar(2nd floor of the now Grand Lounge) and the dance floor would periodically clear as the dancers were forced from side to side as she rolled. The band members were tethered to the stage with what appeared to be dog leashes. In those days the Double Room was much larger than it is today. The shops were not in that area, and there was a lot of seating on the mezzanine. The bar was at the top of the circular brushed metal stairway. It was very modern. The chairs reminded me of the Bauhaus School.

I have some color slides from then that I'll post after returning home from the San Fran to Sydney leg of QM2's World Cruise. We are packed and ready to leave tomorrow.:)

Kurt

I have some color slides from then that I'll post after returning home from the San Fran to Sydney leg of QM2's World Cruise. We are packed and ready to leave tomorrow.:)

Kurt

I'm looking forward to seeing your slides.

Embarking on QM2 in San Francisco will be very exciting. Be sure to share your stories with us when you return.

Bon Voyage!

I don't remember which thread I asked this question before but I never got an answer so I will try again.

For all you Cunard buffs. When if ever has Cunard had three of its ships in New York Harbor at the same time for a planned triple sailaway down the Hudson?

Probably never. There is no practical benefit, and the public relations aspect would have been irrelevant back in the sixties and before.

Matthew

For all you Cunard buffs. When if ever has Cunard had three of its ships in New York Harbor at the same time for a planned triple sailaway down the Hudson?

Cunard has indeed had three ships in New York Harbor at the same time, even four at one time.

But like Kindlychap said, a planned multi-sailaway would have been pointless at the time, as there were grand ocean liners coming and going in New York every day.

A quick glance at my "reference library", not including wartime:

date unknown, sometime between '34-'39:

Berengaria, Majestic (acquired in merge) Lancastria

July 9, 1958

Britannic, Mauretania, Queen Elizabeth

June 1960

Media, Caronia, Queen Mary, Britannic

July 5, 1961

Sylvania, Mauretania, Queen Elizabeth

No doubt there are others, if one wanted to do the research :rolleyes:

Of course the point of the excitement is that Cunard will have three "queens" in New York at the same time which has never happened in the company history, since this is the first time Cunard will have three queens sailing under their house flag. We are sailing on QM2 in November from New York to the Caribbean, I am so looking forward to sailing out of New York at night.

Steve

Of course the point of the excitement is that Cunard will have three "queens" in New York at the same time which has never happened in the company history, since this is the first time Cunard will have three queens sailing under their house flag. We are sailing on QM2 in November from New York to the Caribbean, I am so looking forward to sailing out of New York at night.

Steve

Isn't the real excitement that this may well be the very last time that Queen Elizabeth 2 sails up the Hudson and docks at the Manhatten pier? I'll have seen enough of Victoria on the seven days of the crossing, watching her try to keep up!

Matthew

Isn't the real excitement that this may well be the very last time that Queen Elizabeth 2 sails up the Hudson and docks at the Manhatten pier? I'll have seen enough of Victoria on the seven days of the crossing, watching her try to keep up!

Matthew

Still doing Christmas Markets voyage on QV? Friends of ours here locally just cancelled their maiden voyage booking on the QV. Upon second thought, they didn't think they would enjoy the Baltic Sea in December.

I briefly considered the QV for the Tandem Crossing but: A) QV will be around for a long time ample time for a look-see later; B) Proper travelling crowd on QE2 as opposed to QV crowd of ruffians, gawkers, and other people more interested in p.r. aspects... :eek: I suppose there is a compliment in there for someone... lol

Archived