Is it safe to walk Quebec at night?

I'm staying at Le St Paul hotel on rue St Paul and want to go visit fellow cruise critic mates at Le Port Royal, which looks like a few blocks away; but it will be dark when we are done with dinner and want to walk back. Is this a safe area to walk at night?

I'm staying at Le St Paul hotel on rue St Paul and want to go visit fellow cruise critic mates at Le Port Royal, which looks like a few blocks away; but it will be dark when we are done with dinner and want to walk back. Is this a safe area to walk at night?

Years ago - I'm talking 50 or so years here - the area was kind of slummy (or so my mother says every time we drive down there to see a cruise ship :rolleyes::D). Urban regeneration has transformed the area, and certainly for as long as I can remember (I'm 41) the area has been quite fashionable. So I would have no problems doing the walk you propose.

Another point is that, probably at the point when you've finished dinner, most restaurants will be in full swing, and there will be lots of people in and around that area (as an example, the most restrictive opening hours for the restaurant at the Port Royal have them close at 1 am).

• 3 weeks later...