Pics of QE 2 August

mike14c

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2102424915

The above link should takeyou to picture from the August 5 five day cruise to Bilbao, La Rochelle and Guernsey. Lots of the Guggenheim and sunsets etc., but a pretty thourough documentation of room 8002 is in their too.

Thanks, Mike. Images of QE2 are always a sight for sore eyes!

Great photos Mike & thanks for sharing them with us - so how did you enjoy your QG suite & QE2 cruise?

The ship is looking great and not long until now until I get back onboard in less than 2 weeks! Can I just ask what camera settings did you use to get such great indoor photos - i.e. slow sync mode & or different ISO settings?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Oh, I had a wonderful time! My room was wonderful...large and gracious and comfortable, with excellent service; one really felt very well taken care of. THis was just a short cruise that I really took for two reasons. First to see the QE2, which I had never been on before, and second to visit the Guggenheim in Bilbao. Both were beauitful!

Regarding the camera and settings: you can ask, but I'm afriad I can't answer very well! Its a Nikon D50 with a Tamron 300 lense; as far as settings and ISO go, I'm afraid I'm quite illiterate. I just try all different settings, and then delete all the pictures I'm not happy with.

If some of the pictures come out nicely, its to the credit of Nikon, not the photographer!!

"rather dated" - yes QE2 is old fashioned and a grande dame of the old school so to speak but service & food IMHO far better - my exp. is mainly of Grill class cabins - that QM2!!! & she is nearly 40 years old!!

I am onboard again 2 weeks' today & cannot wait. We talk about QE2 being dated but what about such landmark Hotels such as the Waldorf in NYC one of my favourite NYC Hotels but again you could say it's old fashioned and dated albiet great art deco style features if you like and dare I say has it's good points & bad points but is still in a class & style of its own just like QE2! If you want modern & more glitz I dare say you should stay with Carnival or Princess Cruises! I too myself have tried P & O,Celebrity, etc but still come back to QE2 - this is my 6 th cruise back on board next month & my late grandparents made 50+ trips on board QE2 inc. it's maiden voyage & also travelled on many other P & O, Union Castle line ships, etc & even the original Queen Mary but still came back to QE2 - you either love or loathe her!

Enjoy your cruise in October,

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

my earlier post should have read "food & service far better on QE2 which is nearly 40 yrs old than on QM2",

I even have a friend who always travels QG grade on QE2 and did this once on QM2 but never to be repeated!! The Chef even got annoyed when he ordered "off menu" and then complained because his special order was not even properly cooked or indeed what he'd requested!!!!! & as a single passenger he was paying a fortune for his suite for poor food & service!! He is staying withQE2 and with good reason!!!

Regards,

RJMS74

If I may, and I fear I may spark controversey, but having sailed on the QE2 (and only once) and the QM 2 twice, all recently (within the past 12 months), I must say that in my opinion, the food and dining was much better on the QM2 than on the QE2.

Now, I quickly add, the cabin service on the QE2 was vastly supeior than on the QM 2. I was superbly and very personally taken care of on QE2 in the most gracious way, quite comparable to the best hotel I know on land.

But the Queens Grill food, dining room and service on the QM2 was really much better -- from the quality of ingedients, comfort of the room and attnetiveness of the staff to the presentation of condiments and choice of deserts. Wine selection on the QM2 was objectively much better (the QE2 sommelier was not really competent, and there's no excuse for that), while the cheese course of the QE2 was absolutely superb and far better than the newer ship.

Although I was booked in Queen Grill cabin on this trip, I aksed to be seated in the Princess Grill one evening for dinner, just to expand my experience and in case I wanted to book again in a PG category. The Princess Grill was a far prettier room, much more comfortable and with objectively better service.

I should point out that my QE2 experience was on a very short (5 day) holiday cruise, so it may not be fair to judge. I had a lovely time on QE2 and the whole experience was delightful in every way!

"rather dated" - yes QE2 is old fashioned and a grande dame of the old school so to speak but service & food IMHO far better - my exp. is mainly of Grill class cabins - that QM2!!! & she is nearly 40 years old!!

I am onboard again 2 weeks' today & cannot wait. We talk about QE2 being dated but what about such landmark Hotels such as the Waldorf in NYC one of my favourite NYC Hotels but again you could say it's old fashioned and dated albiet great art deco style features if you like and dare I say has it's good points & bad points but is still in a class & style of its own just like QE2! If you want modern & more glitz I dare say you should stay with Carnival or Princess Cruises! I too myself have tried P & O,Celebrity, etc but still come back to QE2 - this is my 6 th cruise back on board next month & my late grandparents made 50+ trips on board QE2 inc. it's maiden voyage & also travelled on many other P & O, Union Castle line ships, etc & even the original Queen Mary but still came back to QE2 - you either love or loathe her!

Enjoy your cruise in October,

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

No I don't like glitz at all, that can be very tasteless, but do actually like a more contemporary style.

We are trying the QE2 because she is reknown for service and quality, and I have no doubt that's exactly what we'll get, but, the style isn't to my taste. I don't believe that comfort is compromised by having a different "style" and I did actually state she looked comfortable!

We are also used to travelling in suites, albeit with P&O, and so service and space are important to us....I'm afraid Carnival, although very good value for money I'm sure, isn't for us!

Interesting...rather like an old pair of slippers.:D

Very like that - rather battered, almost worn out and showing their age, but still far too comfortable and homely (if you've got a 5* home:D ) to consign to the scrap heap!

Cruiseluvva - "rather dated"?

8002 is the fourth best cabin on the ship! It's a cracking choice!

... and interestingly, smaller than Princess Grill staterooms on QM2!!!

Nice pics Mike14c - the old gal still takes a good photo!!!

Ken

Thanks Mike. Going on the exact same cruise in 2007 and it will be my first time on the QE2 itself. Thus, it was nice to see some of the pics of both the ship and ports of call. We are looking forward to the Guggenheim as we have been to the one in New York so I consider your pictures a nice teaser.

As for the dated look of the QE2? Well its obvious from the pics that its not a modern cruise ship. However, that was one of the reasons I picked next year's trip on that ship. I've always wanted to do the old style ocean liner and the QE2 is about what we have left. I'm a romantic at heart! Actually, I am quite happy to see that the ship is clean and in rather good shape for an aging gal and the pics just made me want to go that much more. Although I won't be a Grill passenger I think being in a Caronia closet will just have to do. The way I look at it is that the food and service will be better than anything at home if I didn't go! Will 2007 ever get here?

The only ship P&O have to come close to the QE2 for comfort and style is Oriana and thats to change shortly with her new refit.Although Cruisluvva says Carnival is,nt for him ,most of his cruises have been withP&O, owned by Carnival.

QE2 long may she reign and according to a carnival director she will for the next 10 years. Merecat.

The only ship P&O have to come close to the QE2 for comfort and style is Oriana and thats to change shortly with her new refit.Although Cruisluvva says Carnival is,nt for him ,most of his cruises have been withP&O, owned by Carnival.

QE2 long may she reign and according to a carnival director she will for the next 10 years. Merecat.

We don't like Oriana either!

Although P&O, and many others, are owned by Carnival, they are not Carnival Cruises. We actually did a Carnival Cruise many years ago, and believe me, there is no comparison. They are extremely good value, though very brash.

PS I'm a SHE not a HE!

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2102424915

The above link should takeyou to picture from the August 5 five day cruise to Bilbao, La Rochelle and Guernsey. Lots of the Guggenheim and sunsets etc., but a pretty thourough documentation of room 8002 is in their too.

Hi Mike

I'm glad to see that you got back in one piece, how was your onward flight with all the problems? We have been thinking about how you were enjoying Africa since we have been back to our old routine :-(

The pics are great, what about the ones of your party?

I've got some good ones too, i will e-mail them to you.

Really enjoyed meeting you, hopefully will see you and "M" on another cruise sometime

Mark & Olly

Hi, Mark:

Africa was phenomenal; I was worried about everybody getting of the QE2 that day and their ownward air plans. Luckily, I was able to meet with the the other "M" and despite some long waits and confusion, we made to South Africa more or less on schedule.

I do have some other fun pictures (including of the party) and I'll try to send them to you when I'm at a differnt computer next week; either that or post them. I'll use the e-mail in your profile if that's o.k. -- best to Olly.

Mike

Hi Mike

I keep having the same problem, when I remember to send them i'm at the pc without the pics!

We have a great picture of our friend that ordered Martini' s at your party (after you had laid on everything else imaginable) and nearly fell off the balcony, it says it all, unfortunately though the camera wasn't out when we were all on the balcony :-(

Olly is on here as skypap but doesn't get much time to post.

best wishes to you both and NYC

Mark & Olly

Thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures. They make me miss QE2 even more. Wish she sailed out of the states.

Questions. Where is the Caronia model located? It seems to "C" stairway outside the Chart room, am I correct. If so what did they do the Mauretania model?

The Mauritania is still in the stairwell opposite the Caronia restaurant and looks as wonderful as ever.

The caronia model is on a much smaller scale, and you are right, it is just round the corner (near the loos) from the Chart Room

Mark

Archived