Canberra: Today's NY Times Profile, Options, Potentials??!!

TLCOhio

From the New York Times Sunday travel section this morning, they have this headline: "36 Hours in Canberra, Australia" with these highlights: "To stand atop a Canberra hilltop is to contemplate the stark charm of the Australian bush: vast grassy fields, swaths of eucalyptus forest and Instagram-worthy sunsets. This outpost is Australia’s national capital — not, as is commonly thought, the glitzier city of Sydney, three hours’ drive north. In Canberra, there are no beaches or iconic opera houses, and European chic is best sought an hour’s flight away in Melbourne. But what the “bush capital” lacks in big-city tousle, it makes up for in big-sky beauty, breezy civic pride and a decidedly hipster underbelly. Set on an artificial lake and spread across a valley between mountain ranges, Canberra is the Brasilia of Australia, designed by the American architects Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahony Griffin, who won a competition in 1911 to create the country’s political heart because Sydney and Melbourne couldn’t stop bickering about their own fabulousness. A year after the city’s centennial celebrations and with a steady influx of artists and gastronomes, Canberra is best appreciated with deep intakes of mountain air and an ear tuned to the calls of sulphur-crested cockatoos and crimson rosellas."

Interesting history and article with many options and potentials to consider for seeing and doing in Canberra. We loved what we did in visiting our four different areas for this great country down under. Super loved Great Barrier Reef/Rainforest, Kangaroo Island, Sydney and Tasmania. BUT, maybe Canberra would be an option to consider for when we might do a future follow-up visit to Australia.

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/travel/36-hours-in-canberra-australia.html?ref=travel&_r=0

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 60,152 views for this fun posting.

To stand atop a Canberra hilltop is to contemplate the stark charm of the Australian bush: vast grassy fields, swaths of eucalyptus forest and Instagram-worthy sunsets. This outpost is Australia’s national capital — not, as is commonly thought, the glitzier city of Sydney, three hours’ drive north. In Canberra, there are no beaches or iconic opera houses, and European chic is best sought an hour’s flight away in Melbourne. But what the “bush capital” lacks in big-city tousle, it makes up for in big-sky beauty, breezy civic pride and a decidedly hipster underbelly. Set on an artificial lake and spread across a valley between mountain ranges, Canberra is the Brasilia of Australia, designed by the American architects Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahony Griffin, who won a competition in 1911 to create the country’s political heart because Sydney and Melbourne couldn’t stop bickering about their own fabulousness. A year after the city’s centennial celebrations and with a steady influx of artists and gastronomes, Canberra is best appreciated with deep intakes of mountain air and an ear tuned to the calls of sulphur-crested cockatoos and crimson rosellas.
Please pass the bucket. It sounds like something written by Canberra's tourist department and unhesitatingly regurgitated by a lazy journalist. I know Canberra reasonably well and love the lovely bits of it for what they are. But this is wildly over the top.

I read the article and it described the Canberra that I know quite well.

Terry, I lived in Canberra for several years and it was the favorite place I have ever lived (and I've lived on 5 different continents.) You certainly chose some great destinations for your first trip to Australia, but I think you'd love a few days in Canberra on your next visit. Every person who visited us when we lived there told us how much they enjoyed Canberra--even the Sydneysiders!

Canberra is a very nice city, and a nice place to visit. But it's like DC. It's a purpose-built capitol city, and very, very much a company (read Australian Federal government) town. It's fun if you're interested. I spent a long weekend there. It was nice, but nothing that I would say is a MUST SEE in Australia. My husband is an Australian, and a political wonk, and hadn't been since he was in grade school, so he was excited to see the new Parliament House and other political things. There are other things to see -- I hear the War Memorial is excellent -- but really, unless you have seen everything else in Australia you want to see, I'd say skip it.

I'm one of the foreign visitors who consider Canberra a very interesting, pleasant and important part of Australia to visit. In addition to the natural attractions in the area, the museums, galleries, Parliament, and (especially) War Memorial were of great interest to us. I say this recognizing that there are a vast number of other interesting places in Australia -- we have been to many of them in all the Australian states and the NT over the course of numerous trips. However, our three visits to Canberra were all memorable, and we opted for progressively longer stays in Canberra on each successive visit. We plan to return in future.

John