Bananarama

Tracik

We are considering Bananarama when visiting in March, but I'm unclear on one thing: while I've read that there are a number of tour operators that will take you there (Rony, Victor Bodden, ShoreExcursioneer, etc) I am wondering why you would book with an operator, instead of directly with the Resort?

On the Bananarama website, under Cruise Ship packages, it states that for $30, you get "round trip transportation, beach chair, welcome drink*, and use of facilities." Isn't that comparable or even cheaper than some of the tour operator prices?

I understand that one variable might be the tour operator which would take you around the island some, or to visit the monkeys, etc. but if you are looking to JUST go to Bananarama and spend the day there, wouldn't it be best to book with them directly? Or am I missing something?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

We are considering Bananarama when visiting in March, but I'm unclear on one thing: while I've read that there are a number of tour operators that will take you there (Rony, Victor Bodden, ShoreExcursioneer, etc) I am wondering why you would book with an operator, instead of directly with the Resort?

On the Bananarama website, under Cruise Ship packages, it states that for $30, you get "round trip transportation, beach chair, welcome drink*, and use of facilities." Isn't that comparable or even cheaper than some of the tour operator prices?

I understand that one variable might be the tour operator which would take you around the island some, or to visit the monkeys, etc. but if you are looking to JUST go to Bananarama and spend the day there, wouldn't it be best to book with them directly? Or am I missing something?

You are correct - just use the Bananarama option if going right there, the price is good. We just recommend having whoever drives you drop you in West End so you can experience that funkier vibe. There are small shops lining the bay with the nice Lenca pottery and other items. You then hop a small water taxi for a nice 10 minute ride over to West Bay. You can see all of West Bay from the water before being dropped by the Thirsty Turtle. Ned since the Bananarama section of the beach is generally very crowded you may want to walk to another spot.

But just a nice way to see both bays inexpensively. We recommend Theris Tours for a private driver, she will drop you in WE, arrange for the water taxi, and wait for you in WB. More like being with a family member than a tour operator, and the prices are very reasonable.

Edited by blue_water

I agree. If you are sure you just want to go to the beach, you can use their transportation. Typically we like to have a driver to ourselves for the day and just make a "beach stop" versus a beach day. Either way, it is a beautiful island with very lovely beaches. You will enjoy it.

Yeah, you can definitely do that. I think most people like to mix it up and maybe want to stop and shop or do zip lining, etc. We always go to West Bay Beach first and hang out, then West End Village to shop and eat, stop at the rum bar on the hill, and then back to the ship for some last minute fun at Mahogany Bay.

Oswego Alum here too!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Woo hoo--not too many of us out there, especially on these boards!! Go Great Lakers! Miss being there but not the snow, heard they got a lot on Valentine's Day. Glad I missed it.

ML

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

we are getting close to going on our cruise. We booked Bananarama thru them but I was wondering if they provide towels to day guests? We can bring a towel from the ship, just need to know.

Anyone been there and can answer this?

thx

ML

Hi all

we are getting close to going on our cruise. We booked Bananarama thru them but I was wondering if they provide towels to day guests? We can bring a towel from the ship, just need to know.

Anyone been there and can answer this?

thx

ML

I would be very surprised if the answer is yes. Towels are not listed on the web site and the price of power is crazy expensive. Bring your own to be safe.

I would be very surprised if the answer is yes. Towels are not listed on the web site and the price of power is crazy expensive. Bring your own to be safe.

Yep, that's what I was thinking but I thought I would show good faith and hope for a positive response. Oh well, not a big problem (I hope).

Thanks

ML

• 1 month later...

Just reporting back on our recent visit to Bananarama (Mar 25?). I think I have the date right but it's close enough. We booked directly thru them. We were told in advance that Stephen was our driver, but I had to email them to get this info. We walked off the ship, across a parking lot and down the hill to find him. He was there as advertised, and we were the only people he was expecting, so off we went.

We paid for the day pass and snorkel gear ($35 pp, $30 without snorkel gear). It was an OK place, tons of people because it was Easter and everyone in Honduras is off for the week! We had chairs on the beach, use of all facilities (showers, rest rooms, dressing rooms, the chairs). It was fine except when we left to go snorkel and came back to find that other people (from our cruise!!) had taken our spot and moved our chairs into the sun. At that point, we decided to go sit on the restaurant level in the shade anyway, but it was still annoying.

If I had it to do over, I would probably still go but not rent the snorkel gear. When we got there, the front reception people were very nice and got us all set up. The guy in charge of snorkeling stuff wasn't as good and didn't have all the stuff we needed. We finally pieced together enough stuff to snorkel, minus vests, then walked to the beach. His instructions on where to go to snorkel were less than clear and very disinterested.

We got organized on our chairs, and watched things for awhile. Then we got hot, so I went in the water while DH watched from the chairs. Then we decided to give the snorkeling a try, even with the limited info. We walked about a quarter mile down the beach, didn't see any of the stuff he said we should look for.

We did see people snorkeling further out and over, and a local was towing people out to snorkel. We didn't pay to do this. Couldn't figure out the best place to go in the water and DH isn't as good a swimmer as me, so I decided to swim out and check it out. Saw a few fish as soon as I looked but it was clear we needed to be further out to see more. I swam back and told DH we could do it but without a vest, it would be hard for him, so we decided to skip it. If you are a strong swimmer, it might be Ok but I am and found it a bit hard to stay in one place then swim back. to be fair, the water wasn't very deep until you got pretty far out, so that was a help. There are big rocks on the bottom, so be aware.

After that, we moved up by the restaurant area. That was nice--we were in the shade, could see the water and near bathrooms! Had the lunch special--a slice of pizza and a local beer for $7?? And we got 1 free welcome drink.Local beers were on special for $2, not sure if that's all the time or just Easter week.

We had a good time but it was really crowded due to Easter week for the locals. Only 1 ship in port but there were a lot of people. They were spread out so that helped. Drank some local beer and decided to go back a little early--3:30 not 4.

I might do it again without renting snorkel gear. We had our own car/driver and he was great. Not sure how it goes if more people book. One note--they can't come into the port area to meet you but they are allowed to drive you in on return. This was great because walking up that steep hill in the heat would have been really bad!

It was fun and we got to see some of Roatan and our driver gave us a nice history as we drove.

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

If you went out further (and had a vest), how was the snorkeling?

Well I can't answer first hand, but I think it was pretty good. I was surprised to see colorful fish as close as I did to shore, and the guy who was being towed out went pretty far. Also, I did see a fairly large group of snorkelers further down from where we stopped and went in (past the little pier, near some big rocks).

Based on water color and the limited instructions we got, I think if we could have gone out a little further it would have been pretty good. A vest would definitely have helped. The water was quite pleasant and that far out the water was calm, nobody splashing around or any boats.

Good luck

ML

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all

Just wanted to post my recent experience booking bananarama. I emailed them directly and asked how to make a reservation for the day. They replied quickly and told me to call to do it. I used the email/US phone provided in post #2 above. We picked the $35 pp cruise package that includes RT transportation, welcome drink, chair, and 2 hours snorkel equipment rental. Decided to do this rather than Bodden since we just wanted to go to the beach and we didn't like other independent packages that required you to get your own taxi to and from.

A few notes. When I called the US number, they answered in Spanish. No surprise but my high school Spanish quickly got us switched to speaking English. I'm pretty sure if you just speak English, they'll get it! Be sure to check the details when you get your confirmation letter via email--the first one I got had the wrong ship, port for pickup, and pickup time (except for those details, it was perfect)! I sent them a note asking them to correct it and they did. Took just under 2 days to do all this. And from the directions they provide, it looks like it is much easier to find their driver from Coxen Hole than Mahogany Bay. 20 minute walk to get to driver in MB. Coxen Hole is just outside the gate.

Hope it's as nice as it sounds.

ML

I was thinking about going directly with Bananarama to do the basic $30 package. Did it really take 20 minutes to get to the driver? One member of our party has some mobility issues so a 20 minute walk might make me rethink this.

Also, is there any flexibility with the return time to the ship or is it a set time? Thanks.

We were there last week, we went through Vic Bodden because some in the group wanted to see the island first. It is a bit of a walk but I don't think it took 20 minutes. We had someone with mobility issues as well and she was able to do it. There are spots along the way to stop and rest. We didn't even think about walking up that hill, there are tons of taxis there that for $2 pp will take you to meet your tour guide.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were there last week, we went through Vic Bodden because some in the group wanted to see the island first. It is a bit of a walk but I don't think it took 20 minutes. We had someone with mobility issues as well and she was able to do it. There are spots along the way to stop and rest. We didn't even think about walking up that hill, there are tons of taxis there that for $2 pp will take you to meet your tour guide.

How did you like Bananarama?

LOVED it!!! I will be going there every time I am in Roatan! We have used Vic Bodden twice now and each time they were great. If you have 4 or more people it's only $25 per person and you have them for all day, they will take you anywhere you want. It was $10 to get in to Bananarama and you could either get a beach chair or a drink for the $10. We took the chair as this was our off day for drinking!!

Thanks. Is Bodden's pick up point in the same location as the one if you're going through Bananarama direct?

Thanks. Is Bodden's pick up point in the same location as the one if you're going through Bananarama direct?

Yes, all independent tour companies have to wait it in the same spot. They can drop you off at the port entrance but not pick you up there. It sounds a but confusing but really it's not.

We always do the private driver thing... either through Bodden or Rony. Using Rony this time around. I have been to Bananarama and had a drink at the bar there but never stayed. We were thinking about doing Gran Roatan this time around but maybe we will do Bananarama. Much cheaper that is for sure. We will have a 2 year old and a 4 year old though but might be alright. Thanks.

Yes, all independent tour companies have to wait it in the same spot. They can drop you off at the port entrance but not pick you up there. It sounds a but confusing but really it's not.

Got it. Thanks a lot. We just want the beach and the closest thing Carnival has is Tabyana for $44.99 per person and all that gets you is transportation and a beach chair.