Where to buy eye glasses in china

BUCKEYE BILL

Will be traveling to both hong kong and shanghai. Has anyone bought glasses and got a great deal? If so, please give me the details. Thank you

I have asked this same question recently about Shanghai and the response I got was Muling Road #188 4-5 floors of providers with hundreds +'s of frames to choose from and will make your lenses quickly (30 min)...you can also get your eyes examined there too...but most just bring their own prescription from home...I'm going to be in Shanghai in March and looking forward to this...and all the frame options they have.

There is a box store mall that has hundreds of kiosks selling glasses just ask at your hotel someone will know it. We have had glasses made there several times and I still have them four years later. They will make them in an hour. It does help if you bring your scrip with but they will take it off the ones you are wearing. If you are small framed ask for the export frames as they are narrower and the local are for wide Asian faces.

Shanghai has a few LensCrafters locations

In addition there is just a wealth of other locations throughout the city.

One of the other major locations is "International Glasses City" very near Shanghai Railway Station conveniently on metro lines 1,3,and 4 (Not to be confused with the major Honggiao Railway Station or Shanghai South Railway Station)

Railway Station North Plaza

1688 Zhongxing Lu,

near Henfeng Lu

国际眼镜铖

闸北区中兴路1688号,

近上海火车站

Also nearby Shanghai Railway Station is "3 Ye Optical Market"

Shanghai Train Plaza

South Square

4-5/F, 360 Mei Yuan Lu

near Moling Lu

梅园路360号

近抹陵路

The one Ashland mentioned is also popular

Shanghai Optical Glasses Market

Muling Road #188, 4-5 Floors (穆棱路188号4-5楼)

across the intersection from the south exit of the Shanghai railway station.

There are more.... I got mine in the glasses market next to Metro City mall in Xujiahui which is also a good place for cameras, cell phones, and computers

Shanghai has a few LensCrafters locations

In addition there is just a wealth of other locations throughout the city.

One of the other major locations is "International Glasses City" very near Shanghai Railway Station conveniently on metro lines 1,3,and 4 (Not to be confused with the major Honggiao Railway Station or Shanghai South Railway Station)

Railway Station North Plaza

1688 Zhongxing Lu,

near Henfeng Lu

国际眼镜铖

闸北区中兴路1688号,

近上海火车站

Also nearby Shanghai Railway Station is "3 Ye Optical Market"

Shanghai Train Plaza

South Square

4-5/F, 360 Mei Yuan Lu

near Moling Lu

梅园路360号

近抹陵路

The one Ashland mentioned is also popular

Shanghai Optical Glasses Market

Muling Road #188, 4-5 Floors (穆棱路188号4-5楼)

across the intersection from the south exit of the Shanghai railway station.

There are more.... I got mine in the glasses market next to Metro City mall in Xujiahui which is also a good place for cameras, cell phones, and computers

I was looking for the largest under one roof....so which one is it..Shanghai Optical Glass Market on Muling Road :confused::confused:

Not interested in Lenscrafter's...if it's just like the ones here in the US.

I was looking for the largest under one roof....so which one is it..Shanghai Optical Glass Market on Muling Road :confused::confused:

Not interested in Lenscrafter's...if it's just like the ones here in the US.

The largest under one roof is probably International Glasses City. But these are within a short walking distance from one another, so if you don't care for one you can be at the other in just a few minutes.

Best place we have found for glasses in Asia is Hong Kong . We have been going to Idol Vision in Mody Road Kowloon just off Nathan Road in Tsim Tsa Tsui . (Close to MTR station of same name.)

Edited by kuldalai

The 3 Ye Optical Market is huge - several floors with many booths of different vendors. I had glasses made to a prescription. They could not read the prescription at first but verified it with my glasses. I thought they did a thorough job and was happy with two pairs of bifocals.

That was is 2011. I was in Hoi An, Vietnam in Dec. 2014 and repeated the experience and again am very pleased.

I went to take a look at both International Glasses City and 3 Ye Optical Market.

The are both adjacent to Shanghai Railway Station, easily reached on metro lines 1,3,4

International Glasses City is adjacent to the North Plaza and 3 Ye Optical market is adjacent to the South Plaza of Shanghai Railway Station. The plazas are connected by a long underground pedestrian mall (basically a transfer between metro Line 1 and Lines 3 and 4. You'll have fun browsing the shops carrying everything from wigs and phone accessories to toys.

I think the larger of the two glasses markets is International Glasses City (shops on 3 floors), but the easier to get to is 3 Ye Optical Market (on one very large floor, the 4th plus a smaller area on the 5th floor).

At both locations expect a hard sell. You'll be bombarded with pleas from every vendor. You can practice your haggling skills.

You'll be able to get an eye test from most shops. Don't expect it to be as thorough as exams you're used to back home. You may be surprised at how quickly it's over. Most shops should be able to read your existing prescription.

Most staff here will speak enough English for you to get by. Some related vocabulary that you may find useful "just in case":

glasses: 眼镜 (Yǎnjìng)

prescription: 验光单 (Yànguāng dān)

spectacle frames: 眼镜框架 (Yǎnjìng kuàngjià)

lenses: 镜片 (Jìngpiàn)

bifocal lens: 双焦眼镜 (Shuāng jiāo yǎnjìng)

or sometimes 老花眼镜/老光眼镜 (Lǎohuāyǎnjìng/lǎo guāng yǎn jìng)

progressive bifocal lenses or "no line lenses": 渐进多焦镜 (Jiànjìn duō jiāo jìng)

You can practice your pronunciation by copy/pasting in to Google Translate though as I said you should be able to get by with English. Also copy/past and print them out.

1003962737_Shanghairailway-station.jpg.b01add440adc27505646007f77a84a81.jpg

1254493580_IntlGlassesCity.jpg.c9c59b836c9e11e3cd05113a3ebc0d48.jpg

Edited by stowaway2k

So how far by taxi from Grand Central hotel 505 Jiujiang Road (near Nanjing Road) to International Glasses City..I'll have my concierge write the address in Chinese for the driver..We have been in Shanghai so sorta familure..but we tend to only use taxi's.

So how far by taxi from Grand Central hotel 505 Jiujiang Road (near Nanjing Road) to International Glasses City..I'll have my concierge write the address in Chinese for the driver..We have been in Shanghai so sorta familure..but we tend to only use taxi's.

Attached is a map showing the various routes your taxi driver may take.

Realistically I'd give it about 20 minutes and the fare around 25rmb

109208499_MaphoteltoGlasses.jpg.403f272e26d3012eee9813a09fd60517.jpg

We have been getting our glasses, for many years ,in Hong Kong, at times with limited time to spare, we have had them sent home, all works very well efficient people at Times Optical Shop,. Dowson is your man.

Shop 16,Ground Floor, Empress Plaza,17/19 Chatham Rd South,Tsimshatsui, handy walking distance from Nathan Road..This small shop has 24 hour service, and has the Tourist Board insignia on the door.. Cannot go past these people...service is great..