Nassau Bahamas

magiccruiser1

I am planning cruise in November on the NCL Breakaway with my bf, and will be sailing to Port Canaveral, Great Stirrup Cay, and Nassau.

I understand that the Bahamas is not gay friendly, but is generally safe as long as no PDA's are shown. I'm going to assume that Great Stirrup Cay will be a fairly safe place to enjoy our time together on the beach as it is owned by NCL.

My concern is with Nassau. I have been doing reading on the forums about some incidents and concerns for LGBT travelers on the island, but also on a few websites that most of the locals are OK.

As much as we want to be safe, we do not want to stay on the ship while it is in port. I would love to be able to check out a few local shops near the ship for some souvenirs, but was looking at visiting Atlantis Paradise Island, as Marriot seems to be rather LGBT friendly. Would this be considered safe, and if so, what is there to do at Atlantis? We want to enjoy the stop in the island, but also be safe and comfortable.

Thanks in advance!

My spouse and I (married female couple) were in Nassau just last month, having done the same itinerary on the Gem that you are doing in Nov. This was our third time in Nassau. In terms of safety issues, just exercise the same good judgment you would anywhere -- don't go off to weird places, stick to the main drags and tourist areas. It's the same advice I'd give non-gay people. Skip the pdas.

The port area around the ship is just fine for walking around. (Don't know if guys get hassled by women wanting to braid your hair, but just say no! :) ) And if you'd like a wonderful Bahamian lunch, I highly recommend the Bahamian Cookin' restaurant and bar, a short walk from the pier. Don't miss the conch fritters!

http://bahamiancookin.com/

As for souvenirs, well, lots of cheap stuff in Nassau (imho). The famous Straw Market, also near the pier, is full of the stuff. I don't get the attraction, but many love it.

As for Great Stirrup Cay -- yes, it's NCL's private island, you'll be fine.

Enjoy your cruise, be smart, and don't get overly anxious about what you read on the internet.

Thanks! We'll probably only spend a couple hours on shore, so we won't go far enough that we can't see the ship. Probably as far as Atlantis or Arawak Cay. I probably wouldn't get hassled for braiding, but my bf might, his hair is quite long and a really nice ocean blue. Knowing him, he might jump at the offer, lol.

I've bookmarked the website for the Restaurant. Never had conch, what is it like?

Don't feel that you need to limit your time in Nassau. You could get a daypass to a hotel like the Melia, or the British Colonial Hilton, if you want to have a beach day. Or do a walking tour of the historic area near the dock:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45509347&postcount=6

While you can "see" Atlantis from the ship, it's not within walking distance. The ship docks in Nassau on New Providence Island; Atlantis is on Paradise Island. The two are of course connected.

We've only had conch in fritter form (fried), so it's hard to describe, but it's pretty mild and not a "fishy fish." Here's our lunch: conch fritter, mac and cheese, and rice and peas (we'd call them beans), plus homemade lemonade and fruit punch. Delicious!

Bahamian%20Cookin%20lunch%201024x768_zpsqnwbakjd.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

I'm planning on saving GSC for us to do more "beachy" stuff, and Nassau for some sight seeing and shopping. As long as it is still available, I will definitely make use of the $75 per person per port excursion credit NCL is offering.

I'm not a swimmer (swimwear self-conscious) but he is, however I'd definitely don some swimwear for dolphins :p

We have not booked yet, but are hoping to soon. I want to make the best of the trip, but just have a few concerns from what I have read.

Been there many time with my partner and NEVER had a problem. Don't show any PDA... Go ashore and have a great time, lots to see and do for your first visit. You can get off the ship and walk to your left looking and following the water to a free beach about 15 minuets.

Been there many time with my partner and NEVER had a problem. Don't show any PDA... Go ashore and have a great time, lots to see and do for your first visit. You can get off the ship and walk to your left looking and following the water to a free beach about 15 minuets.

What beach are you talking about? If Junkanoo, it's to the right after you get of the ship and walk straight ahead to the terminal.

"What a DUMP"...the first time I was in Nassau was back in the 1970's onboard the Oceanic..we were cautioned about being out alone or at nite...it was dirty & we basically went to Paradise Island.

To be fair the people were nasty to all the tourists..gay or otherwise...

Over the years I've been back numerous times.....somethings never change...Nassau & its people are one of those things...now I spend the day onboard the ship...heaven!

I have been watching some videos and reading reviews of places in Nassau. I don't think I will keep myself on the ship. One thing I want to try is the conch fritters, and one of the sea lion excursions. They don't offer those at GSC.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open just as I would in any unfamiliar place. Part of a cruise is getting off the ship to explore the places it brings you to.

What beach are you talking about? If Junkanoo, it's to the right after you get of the ship and walk straight ahead to the terminal.

Yes it is Junkanoo and I said if your looking at the water go left past the straw market.

I've been doing some reading still, and came across this video.

I'm not sure how it makes me feel. What part of the island is that? I want to enjoy the stop on the cruise, but I certainly don't want to be questioned or heckled... Any thoughts?

Do they have LGBT meetings on the breakaway? I'd love to possibly meet up with a few people that might be interested in exploring Nassau as a group.

If you get a chance, check out Graycliff. It's a short walk from the ship. The gardens and pools are beautiful. They have the 3rd largest wine collection in the world under the main house. I'm not sure if they offer tours of the cellar in the afternoons but you can ask. You'll see the oldest bottle of wine in the world, and a humidor made (allegedly) from the wood from one of Columbus' ships.

I'm not sure how it makes me feel. What part of the island is that? I want to enjoy the stop on the cruise, but I certainly don't want to be questioned or heckled... Any thoughts?

Do they have LGBT meetings on the breakaway? I'd love to possibly meet up with a few people that might be interested in exploring Nassau as a group.

Until people COMPLETELY stop going ashore / ships stopping in Nassau nothing will change..nothing has changed since I was there in the 1970's & last time about 5 years ago & certainly this video proves that change is long overdue.....as usual its all about the economics

Do enough searching and you'll find just about anything to which to ascribe your fears. Certainly a 26 second video shouldn't be used as singular evidence of rampant "questioning and heckling".

On two visits to Nassau, we encountered no such behavior. That's not to say it can't or doesn't happen. Be prepared to deal with it the same way you would in any other place.

They do on all NCL ships. Look for the time in the Freestyle Daily. Going to the first one or two increases your chances of connecting with the gays on your cruise. That said, they tend to be all over on NCL. Enjoy the Breakaway!

Well we must just be incredibly lucky then. Have been to Nassau a couple of times (most recently in June of last year) and have not had any issue. This last visit, I found a self-guided walking tour Online which worked out great! We were able to visit several interesting and historic sites. We had a marvelous lunch at Twin Brothers at Arawak Caye and swam for a couple of hours at Junkanoo Beach. Quite a lovely day. Talked to several locals as we are want to do, and they could not have been more welcoming.

We got a bit lost walking to the Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle, but a very energetic and lively man not only walked the several blocks need to get there with us, but then refused any compensation.

During the walking tour we got stuck in a rain shower. We made a mad dash for the nearest shelter which was the porch of a closed business. While waiting a different local man joined us to stay out of the rain. He started chatting us up, asked how we were enjoying our visit, and not to worry about the rain, it was just "liquid sunshine"! :p

Well we must just be incredibly lucky then. Have been to Nassau a couple of times (most recently in June of last year) and have not had any issue. This last visit, I found a self-guided walking tour Online which worked out great! We were able to visit several interesting and historic sites. We had a marvelous lunch at Twin Brothers at Arawak Caye and swam for a couple of hours at Junkanoo Beach. Quite a lovely day. Talked to several locals as we are want to do, and they could not have been more welcoming.

We got a bit lost walking to the Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle, but a very energetic and lively man not only walked the several blocks need to get there with us, but then refused any compensation.

During the walking tour we got stuck in a rain shower. We made a mad dash for the nearest shelter which was the porch of a closed business. While waiting a different local man joined us to stay out of the rain. He started chatting us up, asked how we were enjoying our visit, and not to worry about the rain, it was just "liquid sunshine"! :p

Luck had nothing to do with it, we also find Nassau a great place to visit. We have had or never seen any problems at all and find the people most welcoming.

My first cruise to Nassau was also on the "Oceanic" in the 70's!! As someone above had posted, if you want to go to the beach, take the $4 cab ride over to Atlantis (we walked back to the ship). I/we've been there a few times since. If you've never been there, you probably do want to see/do something on the island, but at this point, staying on the ship is our option of choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there All,

First of all, yes, Nassau is a bit Ghetto ... we locals call it "Nausea" But, It's an old city - it is what it is .....

P.I. and Atlantis are nice, Food is Good most everywhere - Bahamians know how to cook and eat ....

As with anywhere, exercise caution - stay in designated areas, don't go flaunting your sexuality or your $$$ .... and try to enjoy it ...

It's not something that we as Bahamians are proud of ... but ... it is what it is!

As a gay Bahamian, there are some people that are loud and in your face about their intolerance - as is everywhere - just more pronounced in a small place ..... Believe me, there are LOTS of gays in Nassau ... just turn on your Grindr/Growlr/Scruff app - you will be surprised!

AND as a Bahamian - please don't consider this the real Bahamas !!! Nassau is literally the @$$hole of the Bahamas! ... the Family Islands - Abaco, Exuma, Eleuthera, etc ... are some of the most beautiful and friendly places in the Caribbean. Judging the Bahamas by Nassau is the same as judging the US by somewhere like a New York Ghetto or bad areas in Detroit ....

Have fun and stay safe !!!

Edited by Bahcruiseyguy78

Hi there All,

First of all, yes, Nassau is a bit Ghetto ... we locals call it "Nausea" But, It's an old city - it is what it is .....

P.I. and Atlantis are nice, Food is Good most everywhere - Bahamians know how to cook and eat ....

As with anywhere, exercise caution - stay in designated areas, don't go flaunting your sexuality or your $$$ .... and try to enjoy it ...

It's not something that we as Bahamians are proud of ... but ... it is what it is!

As a gay Bahamian, there are some people that are loud and in your face about their intolerance - as is everywhere - just more pronounced in a small place ..... Believe me, there are LOTS of gays in Nassau ... just turn on your Grindr/Growlr/Scruff app - you will be surprised!

AND as a Bahamian - please don't consider this the real Bahamas !!! Nassau is literally the @$$hole of the Bahamas! ... the Family Islands - Abaco, Exuma, Eleuthera, etc ... are some of the most beautiful and friendly places in the Caribbean. Judging the Bahamas by Nassau is the same as judging the US by somewhere like a New York Ghetto or bad areas in Detroit ....

Have fun and stay safe !!!

Thank you for your comments on the Real Bahamas. I will have to check out Abaco, Exuma and Eleuthera. Is it easy to get there from Nassau?

We've enjoyed our calls in Nassau. Yes, it's not gay-friendly, so limit your PDAs as you would expect. However, there's a real city with real history there. (as opposed to fake ports like Costa Maya). We've enjoyed walking tours (the first visit) as well as checking out some of the shops and having lunch in a British-y place. Avoid the Straw Market. Crowded tourist trap with endless aisles of crap and hair braiding.

It certainly is less hostile than Jamaica.

SO true about Nassau ... it is Rich with history ... but, again, an old city with many of the bad things that accompany such ......

As for the Family Islands - very easy! Abaco (MHH) and Eleuthera (ELH) have daily flights on major carriers (American, United, USAirways, And Delta Starting in DEC 2015 ) from 4 FL cities - Orlando, Palm Beach, Miami, and Ft. Lauderdale. Search them on orbitz, travelocity etc ....

Many don't have large hotels, per say.... but most people use rental Villas, Bungalows, etc ..... there are many Property Management Web Sites that handle this.

I am an Abaco boy - born and raised ... so If you should choose Abaco, I'd me more than happy to assist in any way ...