Red Eye or afternoon Flight

jilly08

Would like some opinions on flying to Papeete from LAX. There seem to be 2 options. A red-eye leaving at 1150 and getting to Papeete at 510AM or an evening flight that leaves LA at 430 and arrives at 950PM.

When I arrive, I am planning on going to Moorea via the ferry for 4 nights prior to the cruise. I know I can save a night at a hotel if I fly overnight but I also don't want to waste a day on Moorea because I am so jet lagged.

I guess there are advantages to doing it either way.

Suggestions?

thanks,

Jill

Edited by jilly08

Would like some opinions on flying to Papeete from LAX. There seem to be 2 options. A red-eye leaving at 1150 and getting to Papeete at 510AM or an evening flight that leaves LA at 430 and arrives at 950PM.

When I arrive, I am planning on going to Moorea via the ferry for 4 nights prior to the cruise. I know I can save a night at a hotel if I fly overnight but I also don't want to waste a day on Moorea because I am so jet lagged.

Suggestions?

thanks,

Jill

I would take the the red eye . I took the red eye one time and didn't get to my hotel on Moorea before noon.

Also the ferry might not run late at night. Our ferry didn't run at night the crew couldn't see the reefs in the harbors.

The ATN aircraft are not comfortable. If you are able to sleep on an aircraft then a redeye is a good choice. If you cannot, consider an afternoon flight out of LAX (also a morning flight PPT-LAX) I stayed the nite at the ICTahiti, had a good sleep and a breakfast incl then took the midday ferry to Moorea and was swimming off our OWB deck by 3:00. This is the view we woke up to Moorea off in the distance: cvn_061007.jpg

Suggestions?

thanks,

Jill

I don't think you will be that jet-lagged. Maybe you can catch a few winks on the plane (I always take a valium or so) get into Papeete, (you should get there by about 6:30--including luggage and cab ride). Not sure what the ferry schedule is, but even if you are a little tired, a couple of hours of sleep and a shower will do wonders.

The ATN aircraft are not comfortable. If you are able to sleep on an aircraft then a redeye is a good choice. If you cannot, consider an afternoon flight out of LAX (also a morning flight PPT-LAX) I stayed the nite at the ICTahiti, had a good sleep and a breakfast incl then took the midday ferry to Moorea and was swimming off our OWB deck by 3:00. This is the view we woke up to Moorea off in the distance: cvn_061007.jpg

What did you find uncomfortable on the ATN?

Air France could be an option but only if their premium economy is reasonable. I don't think I could handle 3/4/3 configuration in regular coach.

Jill

Jill,

The new ATN economy class seats are in a 2-4-2 configuration. We went last November and were in the window-aisle seats. Here is a description and photos of our experience taking the red-eye last November: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1941686

I don't think either itinerary is the clear winner or loser. The red-eye has the usual disadvantage of on overnight flight. It has the advantage of saving a night's hotel charges. You arrive in Tahiti right in time for the ferry to Moorea.

The daytime flight has the disadvantage of arriving too late (10 pm) to go to Moorea the same day. The ferries and local flights only operate during daylight hours. You will have to spend a night in Tahiti, before continuing on to Moorea, if you take the day flight.

Either way, it's a grueling trip to get to a wonderful place. Once we arrived, we were so excited to be in Tahiti that the effects of the red-eye went away. We had a very enjoyable first day, even after the red eye.

Thanks Mercruiser.

I usually can sleep at least some of the way on the airplane. I keep reading how uncomfortable the ATN coach seats are. Slightly worried about that. Not that it will keep me from going.. .

Hoping the flight is not sold out--maybe then I can stretch out!

I did read your review previously but didn't recognize your name right away.

Jill

What did you find uncomfortable on the ATN?

Air France could be an option but only if their premium economy is reasonable. I don't think I could handle 3/4/3 configuration in regular coach.

Jill

Mercruiser-Liked your picture of the Hilton...the OWB are fantastic.

I think AirFrance defers to ATN craft but not certain. We flew the new ATN 2-4-2. Here is a way you can gauge the comfort- I'm relatively fit, 5'2" 120lbs and sat at the window and found it tight...the seats are thinly padded so I sat on cushions to get some comfort. One thing to beware of is: don't book seats near the lavs- there was a line up and the seats nearby had people standing next to them. On the AirCanada flight it was the same. We flew AC-LAX-PPT daytime so did not suffer jetlag. We were glad we broke up the flight in LAX on the way home found that leg more difficult. Our checked luggage went all the way thru from YUL- PPT & PPT-YUL so we kept small carry-ons. I also recommend a Priority Lounge Pass. Stay in the AirKorea Lounge at the Tom Bradly terminal & the AirCda Lounge before the flight home. IMO well worth the cost to sit peacefully between flights (some CreditCards offer 4 free PPass stays for 1year . We got ours thru a MasterCard TravellerPlus promo)

I reorganized my web photo site. Unfortunately, this had the unintended side effect of breaking the link. Here is the updated link to my Moorea and Tahiti picture gallery:

http://bhughes.smugmug.com/Travel/Ta...-November-2013

Your photos are beautiful, we saw several of the sites. Also did the offroad ATV tour & jetski. We rented same type car (3days) from Avis but we didn't use it much. The driving was not pleasant after dark & we preferred the excursions & swimming off our deck. Great reference for people who are thinking of going. It gives them an idea of just how beautiful FP is. Thanks

We were able to check in upon arrival, as described in my November post:

"We arrived at the Hilton around 8:45 a.m. There were a whole lot of people there who had also arrived on the Air Tahiti Nui red-eye. We were very fortunate because our room was not occupied and we were able to check in right away. We were in our room, #109 on the very NW end of the over-water bungalows by 9:30 a.m."

Even if we had not been able to check in early, our plan was to change into our swimsuits and hang out poolside.

Thanks Again Everyone,

I love this site--so much great information.

Jill

I second that I have gained so much information following CC over the past several years which has added to my cruise experiences. I have a question I think that somewhat fits into this discussion regarding long overnights flights. In a few weeks we will be flying to Tahiti from LAX leaving at midnight and arriving around 6 am in Papeete. I have been researching travel pillows for the trip on Amazon and have found a few that look like they would help a "non-airplane sleeper" sleep. My one issue is being able to also use my noise cancelling headset while using a sleep pillow. If anyone has a suggestion I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Shirley

I second that I have gained so much information following CC over the past several years which has added to my cruise experiences. I have a question I think that somewhat fits into this discussion regarding long overnights flights. In a few weeks we will be flying to Tahiti from LAX leaving at midnight and arriving around 6 am in Papeete. I have been researching travel pillows for the trip on Amazon and have found a few that look like they would help a "non-airplane sleeper" sleep. My one issue is being able to also use my noise cancelling headset while using a sleep pillow. If anyone has a suggestion I would love to hear from you.

Thanks' date='

Shirley[/quote']

Have you found a pillow? I'd like to see a picture. Will be looking for one myself at some point next year.

Have you found a pillow? I'd like to see a picture. Will be looking for one myself at some point next year.

I did a fair amount of research on Amazon and bought the J Pillow. It was the winner of British invention of the year in 2013. I haven't received it yet but will let you know more in a day or so. I also ordered the Thermarest travel cushion to hopefully help my bottom that goes numb after hours of sitting in an airplane seat. I'm trying the cushion out in my desk chair and it seems to do the job.

Shirley

imgres.jpg.d23d1074a2c33ef71bea2ddf1c7f40bc.jpg

images-1.jpg.7710868d66fce4f69b472c3f89834026.jpg