No Lobster on Brilliance

dschultz56

No lobster because of the price of the cruise? We paid exactly the same per day day for Jr. Suite on the Brilliance as we will be paying next year on Azamara for balcony room. It is smaller, but tips are included as well as standard drinks. Last Royal cruise for us unless the starting more for suites on older ships.

Edited by Wickets

We are on the October 11th sailing on BOS. Would you please give us some suggestions where you had good lobster in any of the ports. Also, if anyone stayed in Boston prior to the cruise, would also help. Thanks

There are so many good places, in fact the ONLY place I'd never recommend is Legal Sea Food, just downright nasty. Even Cheers has a better one

No lobster because of the price of the cruise? We paid exactly the same per day day for Jr. Suite on the Brilliance as we will be paying next year on Azamara for balcony room. It is smaller, but tips are included as well as standard drinks. Last Royal cruise for us unless the starting more for suites on older ships.

We were on the TA that preceded this east coast cruise. No lobster on the Brilliance TA for 15 days unless you paid extra for it). In fact, we found the general quality of food all over the ship was less than we've had on previous cruises.

I'm not a foodie - I don't cruise to eat - but I do want tasty meals with lots of choices of fruit and fresh vegetables. I got pretty tired of looking at the cooked radishes and squash chunks hiding under my meat and gravy at dinner in the MDR. The amount of salt added to the stewed and sauced main courses caused my ankles to swell up. That's what an unimaginative chef does to make cheap stuff taste good - salt the hell out of it. Most nights the only choice of salad in the MDR was Caesar. Anyway, never saw any lobster till we got ashore in Halifax.

And yes, Wickets, last Royal cruise for me. I can't eat like this - I have to find a better alternative.

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the Sept. 27 sailing to Canada. There was "complimentary" lobster one night. I wish had ordered two! I do have to say, the food in the MDR wasn't as tasty as what I've experienced on Princess and Carnival. The soups weren't that good, for one thing. And the one Caesar salad I ordered was limp and soggy. But, I managed to find a few good dishes. I wonder if they serve the "better" food in the restaurants that charge. Either way, it was still nice! And I didn't have to cook or serve it! 😉

As for the weather, we were "blessed" with rain, fog and wind. 😕 That kept us from getting off at a couple ports, although I heard that Bar Harbor was sunny on one side. Oh well. We were able to hang out by the pool all day when we stopped in Bar Harbor. We did get off in Halifax, but our umbrellas were blowing inside out as we made our way through the rain to the Maritime Museum. Let's face it, my daughter and I are more "tropical cruise" type passengers. :) So, we spent most of our time on the ship and had a wonderful time meeting new people. We especially enjoyed one large family whose middle name was FUN. We hung out with them almost every night. Loved the QUEST game. Our team won. One of the couple also won the Love and Marriage Game. They're a riot!

The staff was very friendly and competent. We met some of the nicest servers, store employees and cocktail waitresses/waiters. Also, our cabin steward was wonderful. They no longer have eggcrate mattress toppers, so he put several soft blankets on top of my side of the bed to make it more comfortable. Worked great! We were in balcony cabin 8088 and loved the location! First room off the entrance to the hallway overlooking the atrium near the elevator. Very convenient. Huge balcony. But not used much because of the weather. If you went to sleep early, you could hear music n the atrium, but we stayed out fairly late, so no problem! Loved our location!

We ran into some rough seas on the way back from Canada, but I've learned to roll with it. No need for meclizine or anything now! Lulled me to sleep. The cabin WAS very creaky our last night, though. No big deal.

We loved "Hello Clo" (Clodagh, our cruise director from Ireland.) Miss Personality!

All in all, it was a great cruise! I probably wouldn't do that itinerary again, but we also had a chance to spend some time with our daughter who is in grad school at Tufts University outside Boston. We stayed in Medford three more nights after the cruise. And one night in North End the night before. Both Airbnb. My husband was supposed to be on the cruise, but decided to retire next year instead. So I brought one of our grown daughters. We had a wonderful time!

If we were sailing New England we would definitely be getting lobster off the ship while in port. After that, I don't think I would bother with the lobster they serve in the MDR! Perhaps that is why they skipped lobster night on this cruise?

If we were sailing New England we would definitely be getting lobster off the ship while in port. After that, I don't think I would bother with the lobster they serve in the MDR! Perhaps that is why they skipped lobster night on this cruise?

Maybe-- but they had it on Liberty on August 27 cruise-- much better in port, though!! Don't think you missed much.

• 2 months later...

I emailed RCCL and asked about the lobster. This is the response that I received:

Royal Caribbean International serves lobster on all 7-, 8-, 9-, 10-, 11- and 14-day sailings originating from the United States, including Alaska. Lobster is also served on the 5-day sailings of all ships departing out of the Northeast (New York, Boston, Baltimore, and Norfolk). Please note that we do not serve lobster on 3- and 4-day sailings originating from United States ports, nor do we serve lobster on sailings originating from Europe, South America and Australia. We apologize for any disappointment this response may cause.

You don't believe this? Didn't bots just come from Europe on a Ta. Sometimes it takes a week or two to get back into the swing of things after being in europe, of course you know that

Not true about a ship "getting back into the swing of things" ... they provision a ship before each cruise.