NYC airports - Which is better during snowstorms

bearandbee

LGA, EWR, JFK....does one of them handle snowstorms better? (Less delays, cancellations, etc.). Also, does one of them seem to get the brunt of major winter storms, or are they so close to each other that it doesn't make much difference with the weather?

Thanks in advance for your input!:)

With 4 runways and serving many, many international airlines, I would sure take my chances with a JFK flight over LGA and I HATE Newark, so wouldn't fly in there anyhow. IMHO, JFK usually is more prepared and is open faster than LGA.

But as wrp96 says, they can all suck big time in the winter.

LGA, EWR, JFK....does one of them handle snowstorms better? (Less delays, cancellations, etc.). Also, does one of them seem to get the brunt of major winter storms, or are they so close to each other that it doesn't make much difference with the weather?

They're all within about 20 miles of each other, so if a major storm hits the area, they're all going to get it. As mentioned though, the number of runways and the layout of the runways can make a difference as to which one can get one or more runways cleared and ready for traffic most effeciently.

Thanks for everyone's input! Makes sense about the number of runways, and how they are laid out, would affect how well an airport can handle a snowstorm.

I guess I will just hope for good weather when we fly to NYC for our cruise next winter! :)

Some airlines fly to more than one of the airports. We always fly with British Airways and they fly to Newark and JFK. I always choose JFK.

But if you are taking domestic airlines EWR is the United hub, LGA is the Delta hub, JFK is the AA hub.

But if you are taking domestic airlines EWR is the United hub, LGA is the Delta hub, JFK is the AA hub.

Delta's international hub is JFK. recently expanded as well....with many domestic flights.

LGA is the smallest and most back up prone. JFK and EWR are about equally bad when it snows.

LGA only has two intersecting runways. JFK has the longest runway on the east coast at 14,000 feet.

hope for good weather and don't wait until the last minute to come in the winter.

I had a flight out of JFK a few years ago after the Christmas storm. I think they had about a foot of snow. Pretty much closed the airport for at least 3 days. After that much time trying to get out, I took a train to BWI and flew out of there.

I would take EWR over JFK any day. Smaller and easier to maneuver. But it depends a lot on where your final destination is. Often I am going to somewhere closer to EWR than JFK.

I think it's a crapshoot. I've flown out of all of them, in good weather and bad. I've had more flight problems in good weather, believe it or not. If at all possible, find out where your flight originates. Then watch the weather there. If there are delays then your leg out of NYC will be delayed, too.

If at all possible, find out where your flight originates. Then watch the weather there. If there are delays then your leg out of NYC will be delayed, too.

If the plane arrives at the originating city the night before from yet another city, then you'll have to watch weather in that city as well. i.e. Your flight originates in city X, but the plane comes in the night before from city Y and the crew is arriving from city Z... have to watch the weather in all 3 cities, as well as the city where you board and your destination. In other words, flights can be affected by weather in just about any other part of the country. :)