Chilkoot Yukon Rail/Bus

awesome grandma

We will be in Skagway in July 2015 and thinking of doing the Chilkoot Yukon Rail/Bus Excursion. In your opinion, is it better to do the rail up first or the bus up first? Also, it it true that it is better to sit on the left side up and the right side back?

I did rail up, bus back in July

[YOUTUBE]3WSaRzt5N0Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]aFpz4AHOcUs[/YOUTUBE]

There is a fair amount of slack in the schedule so you won't be rushed to get to the train if you go up by bus first, but we chose the other way so we could maybe have a few more photo opps in the afternoon, as we did not have to be anywhere by a specific time. I would say it makes no difference to your enjoyment of a fantastic day. Do you want an extra hour in bed :)

As for where to sit on the train, again it doesn't matter. Left up, right down will put you 3 feet nearer to the valley views but you will be moving around and going out on the platforms whenever you want, which is obviously the best vantage point of all. If when you board the train the "best" side has available seats then sit in them but it's certainly not worth rushing for. All the best, Tony

Is this the excursion that takes around 3.5hrs or is this an all day trip? We have a fairly short day in Skagway - 7 till 4pm, and wanted to do the Chilkoot tour first thing in the morning so that we can do another excursion by around 12pm. Also does the rail up, bus back need to be booked in advance through Chilkoot? Thanks

We actually did the bus up and rail back (booked directly with Chilkoot)...and so glad we did..when we got back down and got off the train it was a madhouse of people waiting to get on the train..much easier to do it the way we did and it then gave us the afternoon to explore Skagway.

Edited by Ashland

Is anyone else having trouble getting onto the Chilkoot website? I am ready to book but unable to get onto the website.

I tried to book today and it looks like they are working on a new website. I tried to leave my email and it wouldn't work. Hope they get it up and running soon.

Cynthia

We actually did the bus up and rail back (booked directly with Chilkoot)...and so glad we did..when we got back down and got off the train it was a madhouse of people waiting to get on the train..much easier to do it the way we did and it then gave us the afternoon to explore Skagway.

Thanks Ashland - how long was your bus and train ride? Also if we did do the train first, we would go very early, as soon as we get off the ship so hopefully it wouldn't be as hectic!

Thanks Ashland - how long was your bus and train ride? Also if we did do the train first, we would go very early, as soon as we get off the ship so hopefully it wouldn't be as hectic!

Out total trip was 3 1/2 hours...

Chilkoot picked us up right at the ship for the bus up first...and it was actually a little later than doing the train up...which I believe you have to walk to the WPRR depot when doing the train first..

A 1/2 hour that early in the morning made the difference to us and we were also concerned about possible fog doing the train first..

We had an amazing bus driver/guide he also made a couple of picture stops (which the ship booked excursion couldn't do with their big bus) for our small group of approx 16-20 people.

Chilkoot is a great option for this excursion.

Just make sure you have your ticket they will email you when booking directly with them and your passport that you'll need to show the immigration officer...in our case that walked through the train since you cross Canada.

I've been in contact with Chilkoot Charters this week to book Bennett Scenic Journey in July 2015. Their website is indeed down because they're working on a new site. I had been trying to email them (alaska-tours@hotmail.com), but it was also not working.

I called them directly at (907) 983-3400 and spoke with Stacy Gould to confirm my reservation. Neither of us understood why the website maintenance would cause the email to be down as well, but it must be related. If you feel you need to contact them urgently, I'd suggest calling them. Stacy did not know when the website or the email would be working again.

By the way, Stacy informed me that WP&YR Railway recently made some changes to their train schedules, especially as it affects the Bennett Scenic Journey (namely that the tour is now 7:30am train-first & bus-return on Tues, Wed, Thurs, and Fri, and it is 8:30am bus-first & train-return on Saturdays; previously it was bus-first on Tues and Fri). The old Chilkoot website (prior to being down) had not been updated to reflect the new train schedule. Just mentioning this in case WP&YR (http://wpyr.com) may have made any changes to the other train schedules that would affect your tours.

I tried to book today and it looks like they are working on a new website. I tried to leave my email and it wouldn't work. Hope they get it up and running soon.

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia

In my dealings with them in July I used the email address info at chilkootcharters.com and got prompt replies each time (from Stacy) so this may be worth try. All the best, Tony

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

We will be in Skagway in July 2015 and thinking of doing the Chilkoot Yukon Rail/Bus Excursion. In your opinion, is it better to do the rail up first or the bus up first? Also, it it true that it is better to sit on the left side up and the right side back?

The scenery is different in each direction, so it really doesn't matter, which ever one you choose you are missing the other. :)

Be advised on the short tour, you are looking at, you do NOT get into the Yukon. Those involve the longer tours.

I rode the train twice (Lake Bennett and Fraser White Pass), and the Klondike Highway 6 times this year. EVERY trip was different. So choose the schedule that fits your preferences best.

Thanks for all your information! I look forward to your blog replies......

Is there room in your suitcase for me!:D

The scenery is different in each direction, so it really doesn't matter, which ever one you choose you are missing the other. :)

Be advised on the short tour, you are looking at, you do NOT get into the Yukon. Those involve the longer tours.

I rode the train twice (Lake Bennett and Fraser White Pass), and the Klondike Highway 6 times this year. EVERY trip was different. So choose the schedule that fits your preferences best.