Do we dive or snorkel in Maui on Cruise ship stop

astridwilson

September. My question is do we snorkel or Dive in Maui. Where do we dive in Maui?

Keep in mind, I love to Dive, but also love the freedom that Snorkeling gives you. No gear, no time limits. My hubbie is an air sucker, so I dive a smaller tank and still have more air than him when we are done. He hates a two tank boat dive, due to motion sickness. He prefers a shore dive. We are bringing, fins, masks, computers and snorkels but not bringing BCs or regulators so we would have to rent those. I also do not want to spend all day on a boat when we have limited time to see the island.

Hawaii Plans are 1 week Cruise followed by 4 nights in Waikiki Beach, followed by 4 nights on the Big Island. All reservations have been booked. Planning Itineraries now.

We have an overnight stop on the cruise ship in Maui from 8am to 6pm. Looks like snorkeling is very good in Honolua bay, kapalua bay and black rock. They are all within an hours drive of the cruise dock ( I think). We plan to rent a car.

Is there a dive that is not to be missed that is possible on our stop? Molokini crater seems to have mixed reviews.

I got scuba certified on Maui & most of my 100+ dives have been here. Here's a link to the Maui Dive Shop magazine which includes dive & snorkeling sites and how to get there.

http://www.mauidiveshop.com/Maui-Dive-Surf/files/index.html

Apparently your overnight is at the pier in Kahului (Central Maui) and not tendering into Lahaina (West Maui).

From Kahului the South Maui area (Wailea) is closer than West Maui and Ulua Beach is a very popular spot for dives including instruction. There's a paved parking lot (like most beaches arrive as early as possible to park & before afternoon winds make the conditions less desirable), toilets (not Porta potty's) and outdoor showers next to the sandy tree lined beach. Diving & snorkeling are good here & my recommendation as the best overall location.

One of several South Maui locations called "Turtle Town" is at Maluaka Beach (also called Makena Beach but not the one called Big Beach with strong shore break waves) and on the south end of Makena Beach Resort (soon to change name). The facilities are the same as Ulua & has a sandy beach and everytime I take visitors there we see several turtles.

Black Rock on the north end of Ka'anapali Beach can be good for diving & snorkeling but is also where deaths & injuries are more likely to occur. It's a lava point that juts out from the beach & it can have a strong current. Despite being cautious (something too many tourists are not) during a night dive from the north side we struggled to get to shore on the south side. Also parking is not free & is limited next to the Sheraton Maui.

Honulua can be excellent except when it rains the runoff can make it murky because it's a "bowl" at the end of a river bed. The far side of the bay opens into the ocean but I'd estimate that 2/3 is surrounded by land. Parking is very limited (only of the side of the road) and car burglaries can happen, there are no facilities & a dirt trail to a rocky beach.

Some of my best "Maui" dives were at Lanai departing from Lahaina. If going to Molokini it's a shorter boat ride from the Kihei Boat Ramp than from Ma'alaea. Although I think snorkeling trips depart from Ma'alaea (many are larger capacity tour boats) but the boat ramp is best for a dive. During my advance diving certification Molokini was used for the deep dive but to me it's no better for diving than some other shore dives.

These are some thoughts about here on Maui that are based on my experiences but obviously conditions can vary as can opinions. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

The Maui Revealed book has a snorkel edition which is very helpful. We like to rent a car, go all the way to South Kihei and beach hop our way up, excellent turtle viewing. Just past Lahaina we do like Black Rock, but even better is the old Airport Beach up to in front of the Westin Kannapalu Ocean View Resort. I have seen lots of fish, turtles, eels, octopus and have had the dolphins come in to swim with me. Honalia is not what it was 10 years ago, but the drive there and beyond is spectacular. If you take a boat trip, Molokini is the place to go.

So I looked http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com, looked at Maps, read reviews and think that on day one. I would like to try the loop around West Maui form the Kahului Harbor, Kahului, HI up to Nakalele Blowhole, snorkel Kapalua Bay . snorkel * Kaanapali Beach - Black Rock - snorkel *Beach in front of Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort. maybe snorkel * Olowalu, HI and back to the Harbor. Per google Maps, this is 2 1/2 hours of driving.

Day 2 - do the South Shore

snorkel * Turtle Town Maui & Maluaka Beach . snorkel *Ahihi Kinau Reserve.Per google Maps, this is 2 hours of driving

Thoughts??

So I looked http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com, looked at Maps, read reviews and think that on day one. I would like to try the loop around West Maui form the Kahului Harbor, Kahului, HI up to Nakalele Blowhole, snorkel Kapalua Bay . snorkel * Kaanapali Beach - Black Rock - snorkel *Beach in front of Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort. maybe snorkel * Olowalu, HI and back to the Harbor. Per google Maps, this is 2 1/2 hours of driving.

snorkel * Turtle Town Maui & Maluaka Beach . snorkel *Ahihi Kinau Reserve.Per google Maps, this is 2 hours of driving

Thoughts??

Day 1 seems to be a lot to do in a single day & use caution at Anihi Kinau which I've read is great when the conditions are good.

I believe you have to walk across lava fields to get there & make sure the conditions are safe. I've read about people such as inexperienced paddlers being caught in the current & swept out to sea requiring to be rescued.

Thoughts??

My thoughts are that it sounds like a perfect two days and I wish I was doing it too

Add up your drives and stops. The drive straight to Kapalua should take you just about an hour, but it is slower going after that if you continue to the blowhole. If you then double back and snorkel the places you list (allowing 1-1/2 to 2 hours at each spot to find parking, walk to the beach, have a decent length snorkel and get back on the road again - plus a break for lunch somewhere in there), you will be exhausted. Nice idea, granted, but agree it is a bit too ambitious.

We did Molokini back wall last month which is the "can't miss" of hard core divers. It's a wall so not a lot of color. Honestly, we dove it the first time 25 years ago and I remember that dive being much better. For color and a leisurely dive then do the crater.