Dining venues' varying dress codes

jg51

Good day to all.

Over the past eight years, we have enjoyed more than fifteen cruises aboard various ships belonging to six lines, but never yet on a Silversea ship. We have done a lot of reading at the Silversea site, at the CruiseCritic reviews' site, and on this forum, but we are partially unsure about the subject in the title of this thread. We know that we could get the answers we need by looking at a set of recent Silversea "Chronicles" (2013 or 2014), but it appears that no such set has been posted anywhere on the Internet, so we need to bother you good folks instead!

We are considering taking a 13-night, non-summer cruise on the Silver Shadow, so we know that the dress-code breakdown will probably be 2 formal nights, 4 casual nights, and 7 informal nights. Please correct any or all wrong assumptions that we are making below (assuming Silversea's definitions of "formal," "informal," and "casual," which we do understand):

1. On a "casual night" (which we assume includes embarkation night) --

.... a. one may dress at any of the three dress-code levels in any dining venue,

.... b. in public rooms after dinner, one may dress at any of the three levels,

.... c. one may dress in any manner (even "sub-casual") for in-suite dining.

2. On a "formal night" --

.... a. one must dress formally in the MDR and in Le Champagne (surcharged specialty restaurant),

.... b. one may dress formally or informally -- but not casually -- in La Terraza (non-surcharged SR),

.... c. in public rooms after dinner, one must dress formally or informally,

.... d. one may dress in any manner for in-suite dining.

3. On an "informal night" --

.... a. one may dress informally or formally -- but not casually -- in the MDR and in Le Champagne,

.... b. one may dress at any of the three levels (including casually) in La Terraza,

.... c. in public rooms after dinner, one may dress at any of the three levels (including casually),

.... d. one may dress in any manner for in-suite dining,

We kooking forward to your corrections, if there are any to be made. Intending no offense, we hope that one or more of you will be kind enough to look at your recent "Chronicles" to obtain the facts, rather than try to rely on your memory, because this may be a bit "tricky."

Thank you very much.

Edited by jg51

I didn't really pay much attention, but I don't recall La Terraza being casual on informal nights. Also, if it's open, The Grill will be casual every evening.

Also, in 'any' manner may be stretching the limits for in suite dining.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Mark_K

I didn't really pay much attention, but I don't recall La Terraza being casual on informal nights. Also, if it's open, The Grill will be casual every evening.

Birthday suit is allowed for in suite dining subject to your partners approval.

Hello, Mark.

We take it that you no longer have your "Chronicles" (or don't have them handy), since you were relying on your memory, which is clearly unclear!

One information source on the Internet (a T.A. site that may be faulty) claims that "The Grill" is open only for lunch on the Shadow -- not for dinner. Again, we need the "straight dope" from the Shadow's Chronicles.

When we referred to "dressing in any manner (even sub-casual) for in-suite dining," we were thinking of something like t-shirts and shorts -- or even pajamas or robes. We cannot picture a butler refusing to serve a couple who are dressed in that manner, because we don't think that there is a dress code inside a suite!

Hello, Mark.

We take it that you no longer have your "Chronicles" (or don't have them handy), since you were relying on your memory, which is clearly unclear!

One information source on the Internet (a T.A. site that may be faulty) claims that "The Grill" is open only for lunch on the Shadow -- not for dinner. Again, we need the "straight dope" from the Shadow's Chronicles.

Things change from cruise to cruise, even on the same cruise from day to day, depending on a)weather b)operational requirements.

The "straight dope" from last week's Chronicles on one cruise could be very different to a cruise this week, as far as The Grill being open or not is concerned.

The Silversea website, on the Shadow pages, is clear. It states that The Grill is open for dinner. But from experience (not from my 3 year old Chronicles), I can tell you that it may not be open every evening of your cruise, due to weather and/or operational requirements. On chillier evenings they do offer blankets for the less hardy guests. This may or may not be relevant for your cruise as you did mention it is a non-summer cruise.

If you would tell us which cruise you're considering, someone who has taken a similar cruise may be able to tell you their experience. But even if they do refer back to the Chronicles the information in it may not be appropriate for your cruise.

As for the dress code, it's quite clear IMO and is detailed, again on the SS website.

Your suite butler won't care if you open the door for him/her to serve your insuite dinner while you're wearing bathrobes/swimsuit/nightgown or even a Spiderman outfit, just like room service in any decent hotel.

Hello, Mark.

When we referred to "dressing in any manner (even sub-casual) for in-suite dining," we were thinking of something like t-shirts and shorts -- or even pajamas or robes. We cannot picture a butler refusing to serve a couple who are dressed in that manner, because we don't think that there is a dress code inside a suite!

Actually I have Chronicles, but they don't mention the dress code for La Terraza on informal nights, leaving me to rely on memory.

Actually I have Chronicles, but they don't mention the dress code for La Terraza on informal nights, leaving me to rely on memory.

I'd checked mine (they're 2 years old though) and they didn't specify either. We can only guess why that is, but the Silversea website makes it quite clear about the dress code in LT for formal nights, so I'm thinking that SS doesn't think it necessary to additionally detail it in the Chronicles on a daily basis. ;)

Have you done a review on your Spirit cruise? I'd be interested to read it.

Edited by Nigella

We are just back from a 7 day cruise around the fjords on the Whisper. We were very lucky with weather so The Grill was open for dinner every night..with blankets though as it did get a bit chilly!

The Chronicles simply tell you what the code is for that day, they don't specify exactly on a restaurant by restaurant basis for you and the code can vary from what you expect as another poster has already said. In our pre-cruise info we were told to expect 1 formal 3 formal and 3 casual but actually we had 4 casual and 2 informal which suited us just fine. I would have to say the line between formal and informal and informal and casual was very blurry and as this was our first cruise ever (yes ever!) we were a bit confused at times as interpretations seemed to vary depending on age and nationality!

The food was excellent though in both the Grill (cooking your own steak on hot rocks was amazing) and the main DR. We didn't bother with Terraza or Champagne. We loved the service and the pretty much everything about the ship. Can't wait to do it again and would almost certainly go with Silverseas again.

We are just back from a 7 day cruise around the fjords on the Whisper. We were very lucky with weather so The Grill was open for dinner every night..with blankets though as it did get a bit chilly!

The Chronicles simply tell you what the code is for that day, they don't specify exactly on a restaurant by restaurant basis for you and the code can vary from what you expect as another poster has already said. In our pre-cruise info we were told to expect 1 formal 3 formal and 3 casual but actually we had 4 casual and 2 informal which suited us just fine. I would have to say the line between formal and informal and informal and casual was very blurry and as this was our first cruise ever (yes ever!) we were a bit confused at times as interpretations seemed to vary depending on age and nationality!

The food was excellent though in both the Grill (cooking your own steak on hot rocks was amazing) and the main DR. We didn't bother with Terraza or Champagne. We loved the service and the pretty much everything about the ship. Can't wait to do it again and would almost certainly go with Silverseas again.

Good to read a positive experience from a first timer. (My first cruise ever was also on SS).I expect that the OP will find it helpful coming from another newbie.

Just to add, I needed a blanket once in Key West of all places!:D

Thanks Nigella, those blankets were a life saver the second night we used the grill but it added to the whole experience too. I fear we have spoiled ourselves a little by going Silverseas for our maiden voyage...lots of people we spoke to said 'oh now you won't want to go with anyone else!'

I am already scanning for ideas for next trip though...:)

I certainly could be wrong about this. I have about 235 nights on Silversea. I've always been told that La Terraza requires a man to wear a jacket at night. So we've always treated it as an "informal" venue. Again I certainly could be wrong as things are constantly influx. Hope you enjoy your cruise...😃

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We thank both of you for your comments.

Things change from cruise to cruise, even on the same cruise from day to day, depending on a) weather b) operational requirements. ... The Silversea website, on the Shadow pages, is clear. It states that The Grill is open for dinner. But from experience ... I can tell you that it may not be open every evening of your cruise, due to weather and/or operational requirements. ... If you would tell us which cruise you're considering, someone who has taken a similar cruise may be able to tell you their experience. ... As for the dress code, it's quite clear IMO and is detailed, again on the SS website. ...

Many of your words were helpful, Nigella. Thanks for correcting the record on the Shadow's Grill. We did overlook the fact that it is, when possible, open for dinner.

Intending no offense, however, we have to disagree with your statement that the "dress code" is "quite clear" where "detailed ... on the SS website." We read that SS page before writing the opening post, and we found that certain things were not mentioned explicitly, which is why we went to the trouble of listing all the definite, indefinite, and assumed details in the opening post. That post of ours included some things that were very clear from SS, some things that seemed likely, and some things about which we were very unclear.

From everyone's replies, we seem to have gotten almost everything right with regard to the dining venues, but we are still left unsure about what may (or must) be worn in public rooms after the MDR closes. May we ask that you look at points 2c and 3c in the opening post -- and let us know if we have assumed correctly in those two cases? Late on some nights, we may wish to dress (in theatre, lounge, etc.) at a level or two below the MDR's dress code for those nights -- but we wish to know now if someone would reprimand us for doing so.

We are considering a two-week, April, 2015, cruise on the Shadow from Fort Lauderdale to four U.S. east-coast cities, as well as to Hamilton, Bermuda, and Nassau, Bahamas.

We are just back from a 7 day cruise around the fjords on the Whisper. We were very lucky with weather so The Grill was open for dinner every night..with blankets though as it did get a bit chilly! The Chronicles simply tell you what the code is for that day, they don't specify exactly on a restaurant by restaurant basis for you and the code can vary from what you expect as another poster has already said. ... I would have to say the line between formal and informal and informal and casual was very blurry and as this was our first cruise ever (yes ever!) we were a bit confused at times as interpretations seemed to vary depending on age and nationality!

We are glad to read of your good Whisper experience, Lamermac! We hope that ours on the Shadow (if we do go) will be at least as pleasant. It was interesting to read what you wrote about "the line between formal and informal and informal and casual" being "very blurry." If you would have time to elaborate, we would be grateful. Are you saying, for example, that some men did not wear ties in the MDR on formal nights -- and/or that some men did not wear jackets in the MDR on informal nights? Or did you have something else in mind?

The food was excellent though in both the Grill (cooking your own steak on hot rocks was amazing) and the main DR. ... We loved the service and the pretty much everything about the ship. ...

May we ask if guests MUST cook their own food for dinner in the Grill -- or can the cooking be done by a crew member if a guest requests that (for example, due to physical limitations or for other reasons).

Once again, thank you both.

Edited by jg51

I certainly could be wrong about this. I have about 235 nights on Silversea. I've always been told that La Terraza requires a man to wear a jacket at night. So we've always treated it as an "informal" venue. Again I certainly could be wrong as things are constantly influx. Hope you enjoy your cruise...😃

Thank you, Doubled1234.

We are a little troubled if what you and others have said is correct. Yes, we were probably wrong (in point 3b) to assume that one could dress casually in La Terraza on an "informal" night.

But it sounds as though you are saying that one must dress "informally" (jacket required) in La Terraza and Le Champagne EVEN on "casual" nights -- for example, embarkation night. We hope that you are mistaken about that.

Can anyone else provide an assist on this point?

Yes, we were probably wrong (in point 3b) to assume that one could dress casually in La Terraza on an "informal" night.

But it sounds as though you are saying that one must dress "informally" (jacket required) in La Terraza and Le Champagne EVEN on "casual" nights -- for example, embarkation night. We hope that you are mistaken about that.

Can anyone else provide an assist on this point?

The SS website can provide assistance on it :

From the SS website :

" Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, open-neck shirts, slacks and sports outfits are appropriate. On informal evenings, women usually wear dresses or trouser suits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for women is an evening gown or cocktail dress; men wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. On formal nights, guests dining in La Terrazza may opt to wear casually elegant attire (dresses or trouser suits for women; jacket, tie optional for men)."

So :

A jacket isn't required in any dining venue on casual evenings.

A jacket is required on informal evenings.

(For the purposes of clarity I'm leaving the Grill out of the discussion at this point).

EDITED TO ADD - sorry, I've just seen your post above where you state that you don't find the information on the SS website helpful. I can't delete this post because CC doesn't offer that option, but once again apologies, just please disregard it.

Edited by Nigella

We will be on that cruise next spring. You do not have to cook your own food at the Pool Grill in the evening. The grill chef will be happy to do that for you.

That is a good (and overlooked) point.

You can also order other cuts of beef, lobster, etc. for the Pool Grill with a day's advance notice. We dined at the Pool Grill twice in a week and thoroughly enjoyed it. The filet mignon was nearly 4 inches thick and quite tender.

We thank all three of you who responded.

... Sorry, I've just seen your post above where you state that you don't find the information on the SS website helpful. ...

It is not true that we "don't find the information on the SS website helpful." That information was indeed "helpful" to us ... but, since it was written by a human being, it suffers from a bit of incompleteness and a slight lack of clarity (in our opinion). We will not belabor the point by listing specific flaws.

We will be on that cruise next spring. You do not have to cook your own food at the Pool Grill in the evening. The grill chef will be happy to do that for you.

That is very good news indeed, "duct tape." Thanks so much. Perhaps we will meet some day.

You can also order other cuts of beef, lobster, etc. for the Pool Grill with a day's advance notice. We dined at the Pool Grill twice in a week and thoroughly enjoyed it. The filet mignon was nearly 4 inches thick and quite tender.

That is also very welcome information, "johnnycruise." We appreciate your volunteering it.

We thank both of you for your comments.

We are glad to read of your good Whisper experience, Lamermac! We hope that ours on the Shadow (if we do go) will be at least as pleasant. It was interesting to read what you wrote about "the line between formal and informal and informal and casual" being "very blurry." If you would have time to elaborate, we would be grateful. Are you saying, for example, that some men did not wear ties in the MDR on formal nights -- and/or that some men did not wear jackets in the MDR on informal nights? Or did you have something else in mind?

I must say that this thread has caused me some amusement because as a first timer I was so anxious pre-cruise about what I could and could not wear and what those codes meant. I have to say my husband was totally uninterested so maybe a female thing :) However I (and I suspect you may be doing the same) was definitely overthinking it. When I say I found things blurry I merely mean that interpretations of informal were very wide..In other words you have little to be fearful of and as experienced cruisers you will have previous experience to draw on. If in any doubt on your voyage your butler will keep you right. For the record my husband only ever wore a tie in the MDR once - on formal night. Hope this helps. If I could give you any advice it would be relax and enjoy the cruise without stressing about what you are wearing :)

Really it comes down to this...

Men: casual nights wear long pants and a collared shirt, informal nights put a jacket over your collared shirt, formal nights wear a suit and tie.

Women: wear whatever you think is appropriate, nobody would dare be so insulting as to tell you to go change your clothes.

HERE IS MY REVISION...(Seriously)

Men: casual nights wear long pants and a collared shirt, informal nights put a jacket over your collared shirt, formal nights PUT A TIE ON WITH YOUR LONG PANTS, COLLARED SHIRT AND JACKET.

Women: wear whatever you think is appropriate, nobody would dare be so insulting as to tell you to go change your clothes. OH, SO TRUE!!!

Jen

HERE IS MY REVISION...(Seriously)

Men: casual nights wear long pants and a collared shirt' date=' informal nights put a jacket over your collared shirt, formal nights PUT A TIE ON WITH YOUR LONG PANTS, COLLARED SHIRT AND JACKET.

Women: wear whatever you think is appropriate, nobody would dare be so insulting as to tell you to go change your clothes. OH, SO TRUE!!!

Jen

That may be how you'd like to see it, but Silversea is our host, and they have no requirement for men to wear a tie on informal nights.

We are on our first cruise with Silver Seas and I thought I'd post an update regarding our "first timer" dress code concerns/confusion. I do this in an effort to help first timers like us who had so many questions prior to our cruise. We are in Istanbul this morning on the Silver Spirit ending the first leg of three back to back cruise on the ship.

My comments/observations on the dress code are not intended to add to the endless conversation the right or wrong nature of the SS dress code, only to give everyone a current report on what they put out as their dress code.

The following is printed on our daily information document called the "Chronicles":

CASUAL: Ladies: Dresses or Blouses and Pants. Gentlemen: Sport shirts and slacks

INFORMAL: Ladies: Dresses or pantsuits. Gentlemen: Jackets (tie optional)

FORMAL: Ladies: Cocktail dresses or dress pantsuits. Gentlemen: Dinner Jackets or Suits (Tie Optional)

During the day on the ship just about anything goes including in the restaurants that serve breakfast or lunch. The only restriction is no swimsuits. Other than that, virtually everyone wore shorts, short sleeve shirts, t-shirts, shoes, flip flops, sandals etc…the same relaxed atmosphere you have on any cruise.

The general guidance I received was that starting at 1800 hrs each day, the dress code of the day went into effect for all public areas (restaurants and bars) on the ship. On several days we returned to the ship after 1800 hrs from our sightseeing so we just walked straight to our room. Even though we were still in shorts, no one gave us notice.

I was really surprised to see the "tie optional" for formal evenings as other posters seemed to make a big deal on the formality of formal night. On formal evenings about half the men wore tuxes and half wore suits with tie. There were a smattering of men wearing sports coats with no tie. You saw just about everything from the ladies to long formal gowns to nice cocktail dresses. I have to admit I was a little concerned about how to dress prior to starting the cruise just based on all the comments I read on CC as I am one who would prefer not to wear or suit or tux on a cruise. I had this vision of a very conservative, Titanic style First Class type atmosphere but it was nothing like that at all.

The crew did not appear to enforce the dress code in the restaurants. On informal nights, we saw a couple of men wearing slacks and long/short sleeve shirts with no jacket. On one formal night last night in Le Champagne there were two men who weren't even wearing jackets. Go figure. Ladies seemed not to have a problem with dressing…it's always us men :rolleyes:

We definitely overpacked for this trip. The fact we're on three back to back cruises may have contributed to our more is better mentality. Each floor has a nice, but small laundry room. Very nice Maytag washer and dryers with an ironing board and iron. They provide soap but not dryer anti-static sheets (Bounce). This is a great service and we were fortunate to have the one on our floor just two doors down. Wash cycle takes 36 min and Dry about 45 min. There's a timer on each machine so you know how long your cycle has left.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the report MtlyCrew1. My family and I will be joining you in Athens. We're at Heathrow now on our way to Athens to connect to a flight to Santorini where we'll spend a week before the cruise. I left my tux at home this voyage hearing that SS had relaxed dress requirements in Southern Europe. Hope to meet you if you've signed up for the Meet & Mingle.

Warm Regards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk