Kusadasi... actual operators?

We'll be there Feb 8.

Ephesus is too much walking for me, period.

Jeep Safari (my first choice) seems to run only April-Oct.

We're interested in pretty much anything not-Ephesus, not-Shopping. I guess some of the other ruins are also beyond my walking ability (Priene, Didyma, ...) so I suppose they are out.

Going down the list at Trip Advisor I keep e-mail vendors, asking about a drive yo the park, or Bergama, or Pamukkale, or Aphrodisias, or along the coast or... anything really.

They keep saying it's too far (which may be so) but then they keep trying to jam Ephesus down my throat.

They seem to all be wholesalers, middlemen, etc. Ephesus is all they want to sell.

The two actual operators I spoke with said "Oh well, we can go to the top of Ephesus and look down at it." Well, I guess I could do that, but I'm not going to pay $200 for that. I can hire a taxi at the port and strike up conversations at the top of the hill.

Anybody know a useful operator who will actually listen, as opposed to just tell me I need to pay top-dollar to look at Ephesus from afar?

Cheers.

The problem is that most things in the area require walking. How much walking is too much for you?

Pamukkale and Bergamo are indeed too far from Kusadasi unless you have an unusually long port day. (And would be quite expensive, and would require walking.) Priene is at the top of a relatively steep hill. Miletus is a huge, spread out site. You might be able to enjoy seeing the Temple of Apollo at Didyma, it's compact and if you can't walk around it, there is a restaurant next to it.

You might consider 1) drive to Ephesus for views from top and bottom (the stadium), 2) drive to Temple of Artemis (if seeing the scant remains of one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world holds appeal) for a brief look, and 3) see the Temple of Apollo at Didyma as mentioned above.

If you're not interested in ruins, there are beaches near Kusadasi, there are restaurants IN Kusadasi where one can while away time pleasantly with good food and good views of all the comings and goings, or you can -- if brave -- try a hammam.

@C-M-42: Thank you for your suggestions!

One of my legs is longer than the other, and on the short one I walk on the ball of my heel alone. Level walking is fine with a little help. Inclines are bizarrely not as bad as one might think, but declines are risky business. Slippery surfaces are complete poison.

I have not made a living taking 'no' for an answer --two winters ago I was in Antarctica-- but two people I know who have been to Ephesus whose judgment I'd trust with my life have put their hands on my shoulder and told me to forget Ephesus, end of story.

Unfortunately with some sites too far or too much walking there isn't that much around there besides Ephesus.

There is a small village that is kind of interesting called Sirince (pronounced syringe-ay) It has become a bit more touristy in the last few years but still kinda neat on its own.

There is Marys house which may or may not actually be where she lived. There is a small museum in Selcuk where many of the items from Ephesus have been taken (it may still be closed for renovations though)

We did the jeep safari tour before they did away with it and it was an experience for sure !!! We headed up into the mountains on basically a goat trail….. many places the trail was right at the edge of the cliff :eek: It was an amazing day but don't think I would do it again :o Was not aware they are doing them again - at least not like that.

We took my in-laws last year and my MIL is basically in a wheelchair (she can walk but not far or for long) and we went to a carpet co-op while dh and FIL did Ephesus. She enjoyed the presentation and the carpet show and then I bought 2 carpets :D

Good luck finding something else to do. The tour operators just don't have a lot more to offer.

@texancruzer: thanks very much for your notes. Useful stuff.

The rest of this post may come off as complaining or whiny. If people want to tell me to stuff it, they are welcome to it. Go for it! But I live in a (new world) town not so different, in many ways, from Kusadasi. It's a long story but my father when he was of working age, did his bit to build up tourism in the region. I got to know a lot of operators as guests in our home.

We have a high season and a low season. February, when I will be in Kusadasi, is Dead Season in my part of Canada. If two people want a custom tour, here, the operators would be fighting each other to get the business. Especially if there was the option of cash business, which is what's on in Turkey.

In Europe, nobody's gotten into a bidding war over us, but I have my mobility issues and in every other country it's "don't you worry, we'll customise stuff". On the back end of our B2B we'll be taking private tours with a guy who uses a walker and a gal who has blown out her achilles but is postponing the surgery post-cruise. In every case, operators take time to explain to me how they're going to make it work for us.

So I'm looking for Kusadasi operators who can make something work. Instead, I'm bumping into wholesalers who don't even read my short e-mail that says we're up for anything except tough ruins and shopping. They just cut and paste the usual eight suggestions that all consist of Ephesus plus some permutation of the usual add-ons. So frustrating. I just need to find one operator who will listen and we're off to the races. So far, no luck.

All further help appreciated.

@texancruzer: thanks very much for your notes. Useful stuff.

The rest of this post may come off as complaining or whiny. If people want to tell me to stuff it, they are welcome to it. Go for it! But I live in a (new world) town not so different, in many ways, from Kusadasi. It's a long story but my father when he was of working age, did his bit to build up tourism in the region. I got to know a lot of operators as guests in our home.

We have a high season and a low season. February, when I will be in Kusadasi, is Dead Season in my part of Canada. If two people want a custom tour, here, the operators would be fighting each other to get the business. Especially if there was the option of cash business, which is what's on in Turkey.

In Europe, nobody's gotten into a bidding war over us, but I have my mobility issues and in every other country it's "don't you worry, we'll customise stuff". On the back end of our B2B we'll be taking private tours with a guy who uses a walker and a gal who has blown out her achilles but is postponing the surgery post-cruise. In every case, operators take time to explain to me how they're going to make it work for us.

So I'm looking for Kusadasi operators who can make something work. Instead, I'm bumping into wholesalers who don't even read my short e-mail that says we're up for anything except tough ruins and shopping. They just cut and paste the usual eight suggestions that all consist of Ephesus plus some permutation of the usual add-ons. So frustrating. I just need to find one operator who will listen and we're off to the races. So far, no luck.

All further help appreciated.

Again, unfortunately its just the nature of the beast ……. February will also be off season there. Many tour guides have other jobs in the off season. At least all of the ones we have used while there have told us so. I don't really know what to tell you except there just isn't a whole lot more in this area to do …. and then factor in the mobility issues and you are fighting an uphill battle. There is just no ADA or any other special circumstances for those with mobility issues. Not in this area.

I'm sure you probably have, but on the off chance you havent - have you contacted Ekol tours? We have used them on our last 3 visits - the last with MIL in wheelchair. They didn't have any extra things to offer (they just don't exist) but they were very helpful with her and made sure they sent a van even though the wheelchair we had was a travel collapsible one.

Send an email and ask Valentina for help. valentina@ekoltravel.com This is her direct email.

Thats the best I can do….. not guaranteeing she can come up with any thing extra but you can ask.

In defense of Turkish agencies and guides, I have found that they are great "on the ground" but for some reason (language issues? cultural difference?) they do not do so well in working with you ahead of time in terms of taking the lead and offering suggestions. I think the folks who answer the emails are not top rung and perhaps don't write so well in English, so they stick to their "script" replies.

I suspect that if you make it clear what you are after (by coming up with your own suggestions) you'll be able to work out something. They are just used to most people coming to Kusadasi once, for one day, and all of them want to see Ephesus -- rather understandably.

Yes, you might have to do your own legwork (so to speak :D), but keep in mind the cost of tours in Turkey is also much more wallet-friendly than private tours in some other parts of the Med.

Edited by cruisemom42

• 5 weeks later...

In 2011 I arranged a tour with Ephesus Shuttles and got several couples from our CC roll call to join us. One of the men had some sort of "foot problem" that made walking for a long time difficult. His wife told me this in confidence. What to do??? Before we entered Ephesus (at the top) DH and I had a moment alone with the guide. We told him the problem hoping he could do something to make the tour work for everybody. This was in the spring (May) so it was very warm already. The guide walked us a bit and then had us sit in the shade where possible. He used the time to talk about some point of interest near by. We don't think the man ever realized that we were stopping because of him ;) but rather to take advantage of the shade. At the end of the tour he thanked us profusely for making this one of the best tours he'd been on.

IMHO, something like this may work for you. Just make it clear to the guide what you need to do or not do.

<<<Karen>>>

After carefully reading the OPs question, we are not sure there is any solution. Any of the ruins in the region involve substantial amounts of walking. And then the OP eliminates shopping (another popular option in the area). I suppose one could simply hire a taxi and ask to be driven around the area, but other then relatively uninspired views, there is not much more to offer. When we think if this region (where we have been multiple times) we think of the ruins, shopping, and possibly going to the beach. Other then that, perhaps the best idea would be to simply stay on the ship for the day.

As to the criticism of local tour operators (which we have found are some of the best you will find anywhere) that is a bit unfair. When a tourist eliminates nearly all the good options and them blames the "operators" for only wanting to "sell" then perhaps the blame deserves to be turned inward.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

@Karen: great story. Useful plan!

@id4elizabeth: Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate them.

@levelsix: Boat tour a very solid suggestion as well. Looking forward to meeting you aboard. The move, as it turns out, is the tour Qalmseas has put together to Sirince and Kirazli. (Don't know if you are interested -- I think he still has space for two more, something like US $300/8. Lunch extra.)

It's going to be a great day out.

Remember folks, it's YOUR vacation--don't just settle for what a middleman wants to stick you with to maximize his own bottom line.