Alaska qiestions

Hello everyone. We are looking at doing Alaska for our 20th anniversary in 2019 and I have a few questions. Even though it's an anniversary trip we want to take my Dad since he has always wanted to go and he is awesome.

Does Carnival do any cruisetours? This is really what we would like to do.

Is it best to do ship sponsored excursions in Alaska?

When will the release the 2019 Alaska schedule? We obviously like to book and plan early.

Any other helpful tips?

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Princess and Holland do cruise tours, Carnival is kind of limited in what they can offer in Alaska. For example, I believe they can only cruise Hubbards Glacier or Glacier Bay during shoulder season of May and September, while Holland and Princess go there all summer long. As far as I know, Carnival does not offer cruisetours.

The benefit to us when we did our cruisetour on Princess was that we started in Fairbanks and traveled south through Denali and had some fun excursions for 5 days before getting to the port. Then a full 7 day south bound, which gives you more Alaskan coverage than just a 7 day RT. Princess handled all the details and it went off like clockwork.

If it's a once in a lifetime experience (like ours was) then try to get as much exposure to Alaska as you can. If you are planning to go Alaskan several times, then it's a different story.

Edited by evandbob

Princess and Holland do cruise tours, Carnival is kind of limited in what they can offer in Alaska. For example, I believe they can only cruise Hubbards Glacier during shoulder season of May and September, while Holland and Princess go there all summer long. As far as I know, Carnival does not offer cruisetours.

The benefit to us when we did our cruisetour on Princess was that we started in Fairbanks and traveled south through Denali and had some fun excursions for 5 days before getting to the port. Then a full 7 day south bound, which gives you more Alaskan coverage than just a 7 day RT. Princess handled all the details and it went off like clockwork.

If it's a once in a lifetime experience (like ours was) then try to get as much exposure to Alaska as you can. If you are planning to go Alaskan several times, then it's a different story.

Thank you. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I have looked online but it's just not the same. This sounds like exactly the type of trip we want to do. Even if we make it back to Alaska this will be a once in a lifetime for Dad so we want to do as much as possible.

Princess and Holland do cruise tours, Carnival is kind of limited in what they can offer in Alaska. For example, I believe they can only cruise Hubbards Glacier or Glacier Bay during shoulder season of May and September, while Holland and Princess go there all summer long. As far as I know, Carnival does not offer cruisetours.

I believe you mean to refer to Glacier Bay not Hubbard Glacier. I do not see Hubbard listed for Carnival at all this year. But they are sailing to Glacier Bay twice in May, once each July and August, and twice in Sept of this year. Hubbard is a port of call for one way cruises from to/from Vancouver, whereas Carnival only sails r/t Seattle. EM

I believe you mean to refer to Glacier Bay not Hubbard Glacier. I do not see Hubbard listed for Carnival at all this year. But they are sailing to Glacier Bay twice in May, once each July and August, and twice in Sept of this year. Hubbard is a port of call for one way cruises from to/from Vancouver, whereas Carnival only sails r/t Seattle. EM

Thanks for the clarification, appreciate it! I thought that Hubbard and Glacier Bay are regular visits with HA or Princess, and rare or occasional with Carnival.

We are pretty loyal Carnival folks, ( see signature below) but when we started looking at Alaska, we made the decision for Princess. I am not sure how good the service or the food or anything else will be, but hands down I have read almost nothing put positive things about their Alaska experience.

For example, in Skagway, the are going to bring sled dog puppies onto the ship for pictures and enrichment with the guests. I am really looking forward to other things like this as well.

I suggest giving Princess a solid look, to see what they have to offer in terms of Alaska.

In regards to cruisetours, HAL and Princess have been doing it for years and have it down. I would recommend one of them, we have done Princess twice. We did an RT to Seattle and then a 2 week cruisetour starting in Fairbanks and then a southbound cruise. We liked the cruise last so we could relax. I would also recommend the Denali tour through the park that is all day, you see so much more! On the ship (which ever one you choose) evaluate the excursion you want to do and the time frames. I have done both through the ship and used local vendors. I have to say, when you are 20 minutes late to the ship (from our scheduled departure time) and EVERYONE is watching you from their balconies and the gangway is pulled after you get on the ship; I have never been happier to have booked through the cruise line!

Hello everyone. We are looking at doing Alaska for our 20th anniversary in 2019 and I have a few questions. Even though it's an anniversary trip we want to take my Dad since he has always wanted to go and he is awesome.

Does Carnival do any cruisetours? This is really what we would like to do.

Is it best to do ship sponsored excursions in Alaska?

When will the release the 2019 Alaska schedule? We obviously like to book and plan early.

Any other helpful tips?

Thanks!

Another vote for Princess....If the ship has the Caribe deck - get a balcony there. Much larger than a regular balcony and half covered. Great if raining.

No need to do ship sponsored excursions. We did all independent tours. Totem Bight and walked the town in Ketchican, private whale watching and glacier in Juneau and rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake in the Yukon in Skagway. Couldn't have made better low cost choices. But if you want to drop $1000+ per excursions, you can do planes, sled dogs etc.

Can't answer when they will release dates....

We also did a cruisetour through Princess two years ago. We were on Grand Princess out of Vancouver....7 day cruise and then 5 days on land. Princess has their own lodges that you stay in and it was a wonderful trip.

PS....you don't have to feel bad not going on Carnival. Carnival owns Princess.