Excursion day wear

hlsess

Just curious what most wear during the day for various excursions- I know to layer but do you wear jeans or more like leggings... sweats... we will be there first week of July

We are Whale watching/ dog sledding/Misty Fjords/ kayaking in Haines Thanks getting SO excited!

I always dress in layers so I can add or subtract as needed. For daytime wear (both on and off the ship), I usually wear jeans with a top and light-weight down vest. If I am leaving the ship I will add a light-weight/waterproof jacket for any activities around the water. All of my layers can be rolled into a ball and placed in a backpack if needed. I have never done dog sledding so I can't speak for that activity.

Jeans are not a good choice if it is raining.

What you wear will really depend on the weather that day and your excursion.

I have been there in July when I wore shorts. Other times waterproof pants with something underneath.

Keith

I take "hiking pants" sold at sporting goods stores. Columbia makes some nice ones with zipper pockets, water resistance,darts at the knee.... look nice on and comfortable to wear. I also like the Gander Mountain brand Guide Series. Our store is having a going out of business sale.

I probably should have added this to my original post above --- even though I do wear jeans, I always take along my wind/waterproof pants that can be rolled up and put into my backpack. I have taken 19 trips to Alaska and never had a problem doing this.

what do you suggest to wear for whale watching before noon in juneau? I'm sure it's cooler around the water?

Weather can vary there as well. You just never know with Alaska and you will need to make your decision that morning.

You likely will want to have a waterproof jacket, a sweat shirt or sweater and long pants.

If in doubt take it all and you can always remove some of the clothing.

A hat is a good idea too.

Keith

I do whale watching trips a lot in Juneau and Icy Strait Point. I always make sure to have packable waterproof jacket and pants so I can add or subtract my layers. My whale watching trips have ranged from beautiful sunny days to rainy days so be prepared for any type of weather as others have mentioned.

I do whale watching trips a lot in Juneau and Icy Strait Point. I always make sure to have packable waterproof jacket and pants so I can add or subtract my layers. My whale watching trips have ranged from beautiful sunny days to rainy days so be prepared for any type of weather as others have mentioned.

I have two raincoats, one lined for warmth and a regular raincoat, is it usually cool/cold on the water in may? or will be mostly be inside the boat? never been whale watching

I have two raincoats, one lined for warmth and a regular raincoat, is it usually cool/cold on the water in may? or will be mostly be inside the boat? never been whale watching

I have been to Alaska a few times in May and my weather experience was cool/cold/rainy. When whale watching, we always like to be outside, on deck; some prefer to watch from inside where it is warmer --- only you can decide which type of experience you prefer.

For whale watching, I wear layers under my waterproof jacket so I can subtract items if needed. I also take my wind/rain proof packable pants. The one thing that is of the utmost importance to me is to wear warm socks so my feet don't get cold due to standing outside for long periods of time. I also keep a good pair of gloves in my pocket just in case I need to warm up my hands.