Water at Dinner -- MSC in Europe

NellieVA

We have sailed on MSC once before -- Divina out of Miami -- and are sailing next month on the Orchestra out of Kiel. I seem to recall past discussion -- but can't find it -- that on Europe-based cruises, table water (still) is not provided free of charge in the MDR. I seem to recall some discussion, too, that "rules" are different for Americans and Europeans. Can any Americans out there who have sailed MSC in Europe comment on the situation with water at dinner?

If you booked through MSC USA or USA travel agent you will each get vouchers for two litre bottles of water a day.

I had the allegrissimo package which also included water coffee etc anyway so did not need to use them.

We sailed on the preziosa out of Venice at the end of June and were pleasantly surprised when we were given a coupon booklet for seven bottles of water at check-in (1 bottle per day, which we enjoyed at dinner. We had the choice of still or sparkling water). Apparently this is something that MSC does for its North American clients (we are from Canada and, like our US neighbors, are used to free and plentiful water with our meals in restaurants). This was a really nice gesture.

We had a great time on our cruise!

I'm glad at least some of MSC's customers are being granted something so basic as drinking water, but I have to say, as a European, this really bugs me. Why should MSC treat Europeans differently than folks from North America? The excuse about Europeans and Americans being accustomed to different dining experiences is nonsense. I can't remember being in any restaurant anywhere in Europe where a carafe of iced water hasn't been put on the table free of charge. :cool:

I can't remember being in any restaurant anywhere in Europe where a carafe of iced water hasn't been put on the table free of charge. :cool:

I hear you! But I must say that every restaurant in Italy we had dinner at before our cruise charged for water during our meal, and we were never offered a carafe of tap water as an option.

Nicole

I hear you! But I must say that every restaurant in Italy we had dinner at before our cruise charged for water during our meal, and we were never offered a carafe of tap water as an option.

Maybe we were just lucky, but we had meals in both Naples and Pisa last time and when they brought our alcoholic drinks, they also brought tap water, and I did check for a charge on the bill but there definitely wasn't one. Oh well, I guess it is what it is, but it's a silly rule on MSC's part.

I'm glad at least some of MSC's customers are being granted something so basic as drinking water, but I have to say, as a European, this really bugs me. Why should MSC treat Europeans differently than folks from North America? The excuse about Europeans and Americans being accustomed to different dining experiences is nonsense. I can't remember being in any restaurant anywhere in Europe where a carafe of iced water hasn't been put on the table free of charge. :cool:

You must be eating in tourist places, hotels or Hard Rock Cafe. In 45+ years of European travel, I've never gotten a carafe of ice water on the table except in a beachside restaurant on very hot days. After they realized I was an American, no doubt.

You must be eating in tourist places, hotels or Hard Rock Cafe. In 45+ years of European travel, I've never gotten a carafe of ice water on the table except in a beachside restaurant on very hot days. After they realized I was an American, no doubt.

Er, no. We don't really do "tourist places" where possible. In Naples we went to a pizza place in some back street that was full of locals. In Pisa we went to a tiny little restaurant where we the only customers. Mind you, even in Barcelona in the middle of Las Ramblas (tourist central) we got tap water without asking with our tapas. Same with Rome near the Trevi Fountain. Maybe we just look thirsty. But still, regardless of what happens on mainland Europe, I'm from the UK, and I can assure you it's definitely the norm to have tap water with dinner free of charge here, yet MSC are still charging us for the privilege. Or not... I guess we'll just do Allegrissimo.

I've travelled frequently to France, Spain, Italy and Portugal to a lesser extent. Never been given iced carafe of water in 34 years. Any time I ask for water it's invariably bottled water. In France you can get carafes of water but have to specifically request it. I think they'd have a heart attack if you asked for it in Italy.

Tap water in the Mediterranean is not good. That's why it's never free. Locals would never order it.

Plus the real business of bars and restaurants is in the drinks. If you have free tap water you are just paying more for the food.

I don't get the water issue really. It costs 25€ per cruise (12€ per person if you are a couple), for a 1L per person per day, only for the restaurant. And the water is San Pellegrino brand or something of the sort. So the quality is better.

Typically people spend like 1000€ to 1500€ per person on a cruise trip, even more if you have long haul flights. I don't get why all the fuss with that 1% difference.

On the other hand, we loved the free lemonade of Royal Caribbean, that was a lot of value to us. Since it's "home made" and super yummy!

We just returned from a cruise on the Splendida cruising the Mediterranean. We also received water vouchers as we boarded, even though we had the allegrissimo package which included all the water we desired. However, without the top tier allegrissimo package, the bottled water in your cabin isn't included and is charged at mini-bar rates. I did however drink tap water in the cabin and it was fine tasting. (I live in Arkansas, and our water is known as some of the best in the country, so I'm pretty picky about my water.) Also, be aware, even with the allegrissimo package, if you have early dinner in the MDR, no coffee is available! Probably so they can clear out the MDR for the late diners.

Also, out of 4000 passengers, we were the only American family we found all week on the cruise. Not a bad thing, just much different than sailing from the USA! Thoroughly enjoyed the new experience!

Edited by CruiserFromTheRock

We just returned from a cruise on the Splendida cruising the Mediterranean. We also received water vouchers as we boarded, even though we had the allegrissimo package which included all the water we desired. However, without the top tier allegrissimo package, the bottled water in your cabin isn't included and is charged at mini-bar rates. I did however drink tap water in the cabin and it was fine tasting. (I live in Arkansas, and our water is known as some of the best in the country, so I'm pretty picky about my water.) Also, be aware, even with the allegrissimo package, if you have early dinner in the MDR, no coffee is available! Probably so they can clear out the MDR for the late diners.

Also, out of 4000 passengers, we were the only American family we found all week on the cruise. Not a bad thing, just much different than sailing from the USA! Thoroughly enjoyed the new experience!

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

It isn't just early sitting that doesn't have coffee served, neither sitting does. The. Tahe Italian custom is to go to a bar for coffee after dinner and it is served in all bars. You'll certainly see a lot of espressos being served after dinner.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

It isn't just early sitting that doesn't have coffee served, neither sitting does. The. Tahe Italian custom is to go to a bar for coffee after dinner and it is served in all bars. You'll certainly see a lot of espressos being served after dinner.

We always had our espresso at one of the espresso bars right outside the restaurant. It allows for a nice change of scenery after sitting at the table for 1 1/2 hours.

I'm tempted to comment on the water topic, but I better won't. All I'll say is that in my 42 years of living in and travelling through Europe, I can recall exactly two occasions where I was given tap water. In all other instances, I received bottled water and had to pay for it.

Many Greek tavernas that bring tap water in a glass jug and bread when you sit down - but it is charged! They regard it as a cover charge - the price for the table before you order. Because bottled water is so cheap these days (20 cents or so for a 1.5L bottle in the shops), many tavernas are replacing the tap water in a jug with bottled water to save the effort of filling and washing up.

With these vouchers, do you just bring them to dinner and present to the wait staff? What is the exact process? Is it one per person, per day? We are a group of five traveling in two cabins.

It isn't just early sitting that doesn't have coffee served, neither sitting does.

LOL! we actually had quite a surprise the first night of our cruise when we politely asked for coffee and tea after our meal and were told 'that's not served here'. From then on, my hubby just went up to the buffet to satisfy his desire for a regular cup of post-dinner coffee :)

With these vouchers, do you just bring them to dinner and present to the wait staff? What is the exact process? Is it one per person, per day? We are a group of five traveling in two cabins.

We didn't use the vouchers since we had the allegrisimo package, but I think you do present them to your waiter. I don't know how they are distributed though.

I don't know whether you get vouchers for one each or one per cabin but they are for each day. Just had over vouchers for every bottle you order and specify whether you want still or sparkling.