Difference in Beach Clubs

Iheartcruisin'

There's really not that much difference between the various 7MB locations when it comes down to it. It's really personal preference. Most spots are free/cheap. All have restrooms and outdoor showers, and will have lounge chairs and umbrellas for rent. Most have a watersports operator there or nearby for rentals. None are the type of huge AI beach clubs you'll find in other ports like Cozumel. The biggest differences I've noticed are distance from the port area and the restaurant menu, plus the couple of notes below.

In order of distance (closest first) from the port area:

Royal Palms - http://royalpalmscayman.com/

- has an adults-only pool and rental beach cabanas

- doesn't do cruise ship excursions, has a $2pp entry fee

Calico Jacks/Public Beach - https://www.facebook.com/CalicoJacksGrandCayman

- not really a commercial beach club like the others, it's the actual public beach area with a restaurant next door

- has a playground nearby, and has public picnic shelters (free, first come first served)

- sometimes has excursions, no entry fee

Surfside Beach - http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/restaurants_detail.asp?restaurantID=261

- newest, less well-known as far as I can tell

- nice bar area with comfy seating on the patio

- beach is a bit narrower than the previous two spots

- not sure if they do excursions or not, no entry fee that I'm aware of

- my favourite menu, but YMMV

Tiki Beach - http://www.tikibeachcayman.net/

- beach is a little narrow compared to the other spots

- most popular location for cruise excursions

- some have reported a high entry fee (incl chair & drink) but that isn't consistent

Edited by bookbabe

To add a few notes to bookbabe's post above...

Generally speaking, the width of the beach at any given time varies over the seasons as storms pass. The beach that is particularly thin this year may be much wider next year. YMMV.

Calico Jacks/Public Beach... there has been MAJOR renovation of the Public Beach site in conjunction with closing a part of West Bay Rd. Once all of this work is complete there will be improved picnic facilities and playground equipment for the little ones.

Surfside Beach is located at the site of the former Gecko Bar. This is the same location as directly across the road from the old Courtyard by Marriott Hotel. That hotel is undergoing a major strip-to-the-I-beams rebuild. This is the location of the island's only jetpack operator.

All sites have some means of chair and/or umbrella rental and easy on site food/bar.

Edited by drew sailbum

I didn't know Calico Jacks was a "club".....it was a restaurant/bar on the beach when I was there!

Well CB at Sea you obviously have been there before, unlike me. Instead of sharing your knowledge with all of us, you have chosen to be a smartalick. :(

To add a few notes to bookbabe's post above...

Generally speaking, the width of the beach at any given time varies over the seasons as storms pass. The beach that is particularly thin this year may be much wider next year. YMMV.

Calico Jacks/Public Beach... there has been MAJOR renovation of the Public Beach site in conjunction with closing a part of West Bay Rd. Once all of this work is complete there will be improved picnic facilities and playground equipment for the little ones.

Surfside Beach is located at the site of the former Gecko Bar. This is the same location as directly across the road from the old Courtyard by Marriott Hotel. That hotel is undergoing a major strip-to-the-I-beams rebuild. This is the location of the island's only jetpack operator.

All sites have some means of chair and/or umbrella rental and easy on site food/bar.

Thank you Drew for your help and input on Cruise Critic for someone who has not been there before. :)

There's really not that much difference between the various 7MB locations when it comes down to it. It's really personal preference. Most spots are free/cheap. All have restrooms and outdoor showers, and will have lounge chairs and umbrellas for rent. Most have a watersports operator there or nearby for rentals. None are the type of huge AI beach clubs you'll find in other ports like Cozumel. The biggest differences I've noticed are distance from the port area and the restaurant menu, plus the couple of notes below.

- not really a commercial beach club like the others, it's the actual public beach area with a restaurant next door

- has a playground nearby, and has public picnic shelters (free, first come first served)

Surfside Beach - http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/restaurants_detail.asp?restaurantID=261

- some have reported a high entry fee (incl chair & drink) but that isn't consistent

Bookbabe this is great info. Thank you!:D

We were in Grand Cayman last week and went to the ROYAL PALMS and loved it. A very short taxi ride from pier, less than 10 minutes. $2 to enter, I think beach chairs were $5 each, we did not get umbrellas. We ate there and quality of food and drinks were really good. Condition of property was really good, pool nice and hardly anyone in it. My teenage daughter and her friend played volley ball.

Two years ago we went to Tiki Beach thru Carnival. We all agreed we liked Royal Palms much better. At Tiki the beach was narrower and a lot of shells and rocks. ....and the cost was about double thru Carnival.

If you have other questions, just ask. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
Bus is 2.50$. How much is a cab?

Shared ride taxis run from about $4-6 pp each way, depending on which spot you're headed to. There have been some reports of drivers leaning pretty heavily to try to get people to go to the further spots, just because they're further (although they will give lots of "recommendations" about how great those spots are).

• 3 weeks later...
Wondering what the difference is in the Beach Clubs in Grand Cayman (ie Tiki Beach' date=' Palms, Calico Jack)? Which one is better/nicer or get more for your $$$?[/quote']

I would love to know which one you decide to go to. We are going on the Freedom in October. My DH just wants to hang out on the beach and drink. I have seen some great suggestions on here. I am leaning towards Calico Jake or Surfside. I assume most of these places will accept US dollars.

Thanks,

G-Luvs2 Cruise

• 3 weeks later...
Im curious too, we were leaning towards Royal Palm, but would love to hear more

We have returned home from our cruise so I can tell you about our experience to Grand Cayman & Royal Palms, which is where we decided to go. We took the local bus ($2.50 per person). It is really just a van the picks up locals. We had to walk a block from the cruise terminal (ask in the information building where to go). Driver took us to Royal Palms. Resort is nice. Don't move the chairs, just a warning. Find the guy and pay him (I believe it was $10 per chair,sorry can't remember, I will ask hubby) and he will tell you what chairs to get if you want to move. Get there early too. Ocean was chrystal clear, there were fish, big and small, swimming around. If you snorkel go out a little and see all kinds of beautiful fish (don't forget an underwater camera). We didn't get any drinks, or use there facility other than the pool which was too hot. Caught the bus across the busy street but driver saw us coming and stopped before we got across. We felt very safe the whole time. Even walking to Margaritaville after, couldn't get service for a drink so we left and stood in the long line to get on the tender. Warning if you get sea sick, like me, make sure you take something before getting on the tender! I wasn't the only one deathly ill.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Calico Jacks and really liked it. We didn't get there early so we didn't get a beach chair but I was fine with that. There was covered picnic tables to eat and drink at. The beach was nice, the food & drinks were good, and they had a few activities for kids which were not free. They had a huge clear ball that you get inside of and the ball floats on the water while you are running inside the ball like a hamster. I think that was $15 each for a few minutes. They also had banana boat rides but we didn't do that so not sure of the price.

We have returned home from our cruise so I can tell you about our experience to Grand Cayman & Royal Palms' date=' which is where we decided to go. We took the local bus ($2.50 per person). It is really just a van the picks up locals. We had to walk a block from the cruise terminal (ask in the information building where to go). Driver took us to Royal Palms. Resort is nice. Don't move the chairs, just a warning. Find the guy and pay him (I believe it was $10 per chair,sorry can't remember, I will ask hubby) and he will tell you what chairs to get if you want to move. Get there early too. Ocean was chrystal clear, there were fish, big and small, swimming around. If you snorkel go out a little and see all kinds of beautiful fish (don't forget an underwater camera). We didn't get any drinks, or use there facility other than the pool which was too hot. Caught the bus across the busy street but driver saw us coming and stopped before we got across. We felt very safe the whole time. Even walking to Margaritaville after, couldn't get service for a drink so we left and stood in the long line to get on the tender. Warning if you get sea sick, like me, make sure you take something before getting on the tender! I wasn't the only one deathly ill.[/quote']

Thanks for the info on the local bus. A question, how do you recognize these buses? And ofcourse, I think that the buses have scheduled routes...:confused:

Thank you..

Thanks for the info on the local bus. A question, how do you recognize these buses? And ofcourse, I think that the buses have scheduled routes...:confused:

Thank you..

Your welcome! Glad I was able to help.:) That is a good question...I think all of them are your basic white van with windows. I don't recall any writing on them. But walk to where they tell you to be picked up. We didn't have to wait for one, like I said they saw us headed to the stop and stopped (I guess we looked like tourist). There were others from the ship on the van. We could have walked to the pier if we wanted but it was a little far. But felt very safe, everyone was friendly too. Hope this helps and have fun!:D

• 3 months later...
We were in Grand Cayman last week and went to the ROYAL PALMS and loved it. A very short taxi ride from pier, less than 10 minutes. $2 to enter, I think beach chairs were $5 each, we did not get umbrellas. We ate there and quality of food and drinks were really good. Condition of property was really good, pool nice and hardly anyone in it. My teenage daughter and her friend played volley ball.

Two years ago we went to Tiki Beach thru Carnival. We all agreed we liked Royal Palms much better. At Tiki the beach was narrower and a lot of shells and rocks. ....and the cost was about double thru Carnival.

If you have other questions, just ask. :cool:

My hubby and I are looking for a place to relax in Grand Cayman and it seems like Royal Palms is a clear headliner. Just wondering though, if we don't book the "all inclusive" option (available on their website) can we just show up on the day we are in port and pay the $2 entry fee? I thought I read somewhere that they only allow 100 people per day so worried they'll reach that number before we get there. Suggestions/advice?

My hubby and I are looking for a place to relax in Grand Cayman and it seems like Royal Palms is a clear headliner. Just wondering though, if we don't book the "all inclusive" option (available on their website) can we just show up on the day we are in port and pay the $2 entry fee? I thought I read somewhere that they only allow 100 people per day so worried they'll reach that number before we get there. Suggestions/advice?

We didn't book anything and just showed up. We got there as soon as the ship docked so I don't know anything about the limit of people. My advice is if you want to sit on the beach then get there after docking that way you will get a chair and a spot on the beach. I do know that the later the day the more crowded it got.

• 2 weeks later...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Pathfinder2

your link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=41582769

I'm vegetarian so looking for the best place on 7-mile beaches for me and the family. I do eat fish though (NO chicken).

Not familiar with "YMMV" as stated under Surfside Beach. Can you explain and would you have some examples of menu choices?

I made the mistake of eating Puerta Rican food and they must have cooked it all in lard or something. Super bad experience. I then got on an airplane and it was an expensive meal. Over $56 for hubby and I and just one beer each.

Not familiar with "YMMV" as stated under Surfside Beach. Can you explain and would you have some examples of menu choices?

YMMV = your mileage may vary

And the full menu is on their website, link above or at surfside.ky

Edited by bookbabe