Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Roz,

Thanks so much, Roz. We do know about, have felt, and appreciate the love hugs from across the miles. It helps when we can share the loss that others have felt in similar situations and the encouragement to remember the many wonderful times we shared with our wonderful little girls.

Fondly,

Walt

Walt, there is an empty spot inside my heart and soul for the loss of my precious Brenny. I totally understand and sympathize with you, DKD, Kim and anyone else who yearns for just one more minute with our dogs.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

So a quick update on our Bonnie - she's to stay down at the training centre for a few more days - so, hopefully that's all pawsitive! She has a lovely kennel mate called Raine who has been withdrawn (don't know why yet) and is awaiting to find a new home. We've met Raine when she came for a play date when she was being boarded by Aunty. There is something about Raine and I just loved her, her feisty character, the way she just fitted in with our lot ..... I know what you might be thinking but No no no we are not going to have her with us! BUT, our friends who had wanted to take Bonnie if we didn't have her, are still looking for a second dog so I'm going to act quickly and see if I can make that love match happen!

Nothing I can do until Monday but I would love to see Raine happily settled with our friends. :)

I found a photo I took of Raine with Bonnie a few months ago.

Walt - as Roz said, just perfect thoughts. Thank you for sharing that and sending hugs from over here to all.

image.jpg.54da265b006156e9ea56596f2a9999df.jpg

So a quick update on our Bonnie - she's to stay down at the training centre for a few more days - so, hopefully that's all pawsitive! She has a lovely kennel mate called Raine who has been withdrawn (don't know why yet) and is awaiting to find a new home. We've met Raine when she came for a play date when she was being boarded by Aunty. There is something about Raine and I just loved her, her feisty character, the way she just fitted in with our lot ..... I know what you might be thinking but No no no we are not going to have her with us! BUT, our friends who had wanted to take Bonnie if we didn't have her, are still looking for a second dog so I'm going to act quickly and see if I can make that love match happen!

Nothing I can do until Monday but I would love to see Raine happily settled with our friends. :)

I found a photo I took of Raine with Bonnie a few months ago.

Walt - as Roz said, just perfect thoughts. Thank you for sharing that and sending hugs from over here to all.

Well, it's a good shot of the top of her head! Love it!

Rangeley - glad you had a great cruise - well one of you certainly enjoyed himself! Right at home by the looks of it, just brilliant photos! :D. They are such goof balls when they sleep on their backs with their legs in the air! But we wouldn't have them any other way.

I wanted to add - Cindy, please plant a big kiss on that dear boy's head for me,right in between those fabulous eyebrows - I just looked at the last photo again and so so wanted to reach into that photo and do just that! LOL!!!

Edited by fairbourne

Rangeley - glad you had a great cruise - well one of you certainly enjoyed himself! Right at home by the looks of it, just brilliant photos! :D. They are such goof balls when they sleep on their backs with their legs in the air! But we wouldn't have them any other way.

I wanted to add - Cindy, please plant a big kiss on that dear boy's head for me,right in between those fabulous eyebrows - I just looked at the last photo again and so so wanted to reach into that photo and do just that! LOL!!!

That last photo was on the plane returning home. He was exhausted.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

OK folks...and especially Roz! This is Tommen. He is a six month old full black lab that we are fostering for CCI. We don't know how long we will have him for. We don't have much information on him but he is a handful. He was named for a character on The Game Of Thrones. Actually all five pups in the litter have Game Of Thrones names beginning with T. I don't watch the show.

20170121_100534.jpg

OK folks...and especially Roz! This is Tommen. He is a six month old full black lab that we are fostering for CCI. We don't know how long we will have him for. We don't have much information on him but he is a handful. He was named for a character on The Game Of Thrones. Actually all five pups in the litter have Game Of Thrones names beginning with T. I don't watch the show.

20170121_100534.jpg

Awww he's adorable! Is there a lab that's not a handful? I'm sure you will straighten him out.

Hi to Tommen - he's adorable - he has got a look on his face that says "Wot now? Bring it on!" Ha ha - oh what fun you're going to have DKD! I hope he doesn't live up to his namesake! ;):eek:

(Tommen is (was!) a very naughty and not always in a nice way, boy King in the show. What am I saying, he was downright evil but he got his cumuppence!)

I don't want to harp on this dog cruise thing but this whole thing was more traumatic on Wex than we thought. I really had to make him go in that box every day. He didn't poop the first few days and really had to be forced to go after that. It took an incredible amount of encouraging to get him to go. Peeing not so much. He has pooped so many times since we got home. Like he had it all in him and just went enough on the ship. We did notice he was incredibly fidgety the whole cruise and I think this is why. He wouldn't settle down anywhere we went. This was unexcusible! With the amount of contact we had with access Dept this never should of happened.

Finally on Thursday the hotel manager contacted us. John had requested a meeting with him on day 2 but the access girls said they could do anything he could. I think they were hiding it from him. On Thursday we went down to request their business cards so John had the correct names when he writes his letter to corporate. I think this is when the hm found out about it. By the time we got back to the cabin, there was a message from him. John talked to him and told him the whole story. The hm said there is no law and that we were lied to. He gave us a 100 obc which was non refundable on the last day of the cruise and was supposed to refund our and the kids transfers which were 50 a piece but we only got 100 obc for that too. Big deal. We didnt want any money or a free dinner, we wanted grass for the box!

This happened last year too. But we ended up with grass on our first stop. We couldnt have communicated more with the access guy in Miami to stress how much we needed the grass. Its to bad because we really like this ship and the cabin. Ill post some pics.

One more thing, we found the people this year incredibly rude! I dont know how many people rushed in front of John to get the elevator. Employees literally screaming when they saw the dog or making kissy noises at him when we walked by. You would think by now they would educate these people.

I dont want you to think it was all negative. Im just highlighting the dog stuff for you all but we really did have a great time in spite of all the crap. The kids had a ball! They really enjoyed it and it was great to spend a whole week with my son and his new wife that i adore!!! The traveling part went so smoothly. Good flight and transfers great.

Cindy

d0636dc12bb970f584f23bc9d02fe188.jpg748a5a526c42b40d1d87444c9ac2dba3.jpg69787b3159881e27017d6278e790816c.jpgff5496a2cb14d37556a6c88b66fd6dd7.jpg4acdbd83d563f0158f629026b7a36f16.jpgc32f00f784d7bd441008bcd1ccfa84c7.jpg

Edited by rangeley

OMG poor Wex .... This is seriously not good enough, I'm disgusted with the treatment you went through with something that could have been so easily organised! So Cindy, you harp on - right to the very top of this cruise line. We ask so much of these wonderful dogs and they give so much - the least these people on board the ship could have done was made a blooming box suitable enough for Wex to poop in! :mad: Those "access girls" should be ashamed of themselves! Big Time!

And if for nothing else to educate so other service dogs don't go through the same thing - poor Wex, no wonder he looks exhausted. 3 kisses now - big ones! :)

I was so incensed about the poop box, I didn't reply to the "kissing noises" and distraction in general but the crew - what was that all about? Sounds like that HM has some serious issues to address with his ship's company!

But I'm glad in spite of all this that you had a great cruise!

Edited by fairbourne

I wrote a response to DKD and to Cindy and it went "poof!" So irritating!

Tommen welcome to one of the most wonderful families on this forum. You're a lucky boy to have them as your foster parents. You look like you have a "glint" in your eyes.....it's that Black Lab puppy thing......My suggestion is everyone look out!

Have fun, little one......you're going to help these humans heal their broken hearts!

Cindy, what a disgusting nightmare for poor Wex. I'm glad that the kids were able to have a wonderful cruise and that you found some redeeming qualities. But, that said, they really dropped the ball and when it comes to the comfort zone of our animals it's absolutely inexcusable that they didn't make you happy!!!!