Fll Total Wine - Cab Driver

Tedferg

We just got off Island Princess on April 16th after West bound Panama cruise - will post separately about that.

We had read posts about Total Wine on 17th street in FLL, called store and had our four bottles of wine waiting at Customer Service. Got a cab as directed on CC and told the driver we wanted to stop first at Total Wine. He said, 'Not me!'. My jaw hit the floor. DW whispered 'what are we going to do'.

I said don't worry, it might be walkable or we can check in and I'll get a cab back - worried that cab might not take a short trip to Total Wine. But hey, fat tip this guy is going to get - what a jerk !

We even drove down 17th street and saw the sign for Total Wine - we were fuming.

He turned right into parking lot and was driving right past Total Wine !!!!

Then he stopped, came round and opened my door. I asked 'Are you going to wait for me ???' ----- He said, 'April Fool!'. Boy were we tricked :D

Instead of no tip he got a big one !

Glad that you got a good cab:D

Last week I just wrote an email to Broward County because we are tired of cabbies trying to rip people off when picking them up at Port Everglades....everything from trying to avoid putting on the meter, trying to overcharge with a "flat rate" or taking the long way to the airport.

First time cruiser disembarking there can really get taken for a "ride".:mad:

We just got off Island Princess on April 16th after West bound Panama cruise - will post separately about that.

We had read posts about Total Wine on 17th street in FLL, called store and had our four bottles of wine waiting at Customer Service. Got a cab as directed on CC and told the driver we wanted to stop first at Total Wine. He said, 'Not me!'. My jaw hit the floor. DW whispered 'what are we going to do'.

I said don't worry, it might be walkable or we can check in and I'll get a cab back - worried that cab might not take a short trip to Total Wine. But hey, fat tip this guy is going to get - what a jerk !

We even drove down 17th street and saw the sign for Total Wine - we were fuming.

He turned right into parking lot and was driving right past Total Wine !!!!

Then he stopped, came round and opened my door. I asked 'Are you going to wait for me ???' ----- He said, 'April Fool!'. Boy were we tricked :D

Instead of no tip he got a big one !

Thats great! There are some bad ones though. ;)

Maybe I have a poor sense of humor, but I really don't like it when people who are providing a service play jokes on me. He's lucky you took it so well, as you were vulnerable being in his cab in a strange city and not knowing your way around.

Maybe I have a poor sense of humor, but I really don't like it when people who are providing a service play jokes on me. He's lucky you took it so well, as you were vulnerable being in his cab in a strange city and not knowing your way around.

I agree! I would not have been so heavy on any tip. Travel can be stressful enough. His little joke went on way too long for my tastes! :rolleyes:

Too, I would always ask a cab driver before entering their cab if they'd make the stop and approximate add on cost. Not wait till I was in the cab.

Edited by eandj