Shore excursions for older couples

Andron1968

I would imagine that folks within that group would not all want to do the same things...

Get a guidebook and find out what points of interest there are...you will get a good idea how difficult doing/seeing those things will be.

Ship's excursions show you a "difficulty level"...I'd be willing to be the youngsters of the group will not just want a bus tour... And it 's possible the older couple may enjoy staying on the ship at some ports...

I think you need to research your ports, and make your decisions. Not everyone must do the same thing!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. With a group that size, you are not going to find transportation together unless you do a ships tour in a bus, or arrange a private tour, in which case it would probably involve at least three vehicles. I would suggest visiting the PORTS of CALL boards here for the Caribbean, and also check in to the ROLL CALL for your cruise, to see what others are planning. The ROLL CALL is where you can 'meet' other CC members who will be cruising with you. To find your roll call, go back to the main boards page, scroll down to ROLL CALLS, click on your cruise line, then your ship, and look for a thread with the dates for your cruise. EM

In Roatan, we were very happy with Bodden tours. Their webpage will show you the various options on the island you can visit: http://boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm

The monkeys at their facility were a lot of fun, and the iguana farm is a nice stop for kids. Snorkeling in Roatan was lovely if your elderly family members would be willing to stay on the beach and wait for everyone else.

The one thing I wouldn't recommend is their zip line - some of the trip advisor reviewers did not feel it was safe (the backyard of the owner has lots of monkeys and other animals, and they built a zip line there too).

In Belize, the zoo is outstanding and quite small.

In general, I'd recommend private excursions so you can cater to everyone's needs (I am assuming you also have kids since you posted on this board).

Also, when I've travelled with the grandma's there were a few ports in which they wanted to do different things and we sent them along independently on their own tours, and they were quite happy. You might want to send everyone links to the ship tours to give them a sense of what the options are at each port, and then try to arrange independent tours of those locations.

Edited by kitkat343

In Roatan, our family did a private excursion with Radical Adventures and they were THE BEST. Even if the elderly couple in your group doesn't want to snorkel, they can enjoy a day on a boat sailing around, drinking unlimited cool drinks and eating an amazing hot lunch prepared on board the catamaran. (There's plenty of shady seating for this couple if they want to stay out of the sun.) The owners of the boat are a super-friendly Canadian couple and all of you will enjoy visiting with them and their super-friendly crew.

The only walking you really have to do on this cruise is walking from the ship to the air-conditioned mini-buses that will drive you (in about 45 minutes) to the boat and then a short walk to the boat.

Here's their website: http://www.svfreeradical.com/