Premium Beverage Package - Purchase online or Onboard??

Cruisegoer

I notice that when I check the cruise planner for my upcoming celebrity cruise it says I can save 10% purchasing the Premium BP now for $58.50. I guess my question, which is rather simple is if the cost onboard is really $65/day plus gratuity???

If so why wouldn't everyone purchase in advance?

Lastly, how many days into your cruise do they generally stop offering the package? Generally they would prorate based on the number of days left. I'm just curious if they allow you that option the entire cruise (so perhaps only do an A-I option the last 2-3 days of the sailing). Thoughts?

I notice that when I check the cruise planner for my upcoming celebrity cruise it says I can save 10% purchasing the Premium BP now for $58.50. I guess my question, which is rather simple is if the cost onboard is really $65/day plus gratuity???

If so why wouldn't everyone purchase in advance?

Lastly, how many days into your cruise do they generally stop offering the package? Generally they would prorate based on the number of days left. I'm just curious if they allow you that option the entire cruise (so perhaps only do an A-I option the last 2-3 days of the sailing). Thoughts?

I just looked at two of my "client copy" documented for upcoming cruises and the classic beverage package shows as a $55.00 per day charge. It is an additional $10 per day (plus gratuities) for an upgrade to the premium package.

If you can purchase the premium package for $58.50, that is a good deal. That sounds as though there is a sale going on so take a look at the prices for excursions too. I was able to obtain tickets for two excursions during a Celebrity "weekend flash sale" and saved 20% on each of the excursions. Now that you can pay for excursions, beverage packages etc with OBC when you order them through your cruise planner, it makes great sense to do that in advance.

A lot of us have chosen the classic beverage package as our perk. The upgrade to the premium beverage package has not been discounted during these "flash sales". So, there isn't an advantage to paying for the upgrade prior to boarding. It is a convenience if you choose to do it but no financial benefit.

You can upgrade on board during your cruise. I have been told that you can do that up until the last four days of your cruise.

I don't know whether that me as the beverage package could be added at any time (up until the last four days). You might want to call celebrity and get the official word since things seem to change without prior notice.

Yes, the premium package is $65+18% grats. The 10% off offered on line is a sale.

The % off appears to vary according to the cruise. Our Mediterranean cruise was 20% off and our transatlantic cruise was a whopping 50% off, plus grats. The sale is probably offered for a limited time and may or may not be offered onboard.

My experience has been that you may purchase a beverage package until the last 4 days of the cruise. The package is prorated. However, I've heard that that time frame may vary.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On our most recent RCL Cruise (Anthem) we purchased a Classic Drink and Internet package for almost the same as the the drinks alone. I was able to upgrade it on ship. Online pricing was a 35% discount from items purchased separately. Those packages were not available on the ship. The Celebrity Packages are a little different but the best price is always online before the cruise.

Sales typically start about 60 days out, and discounts vary based on ship. Buy now and if a better deal comes along, cancel and rebook the amenity. Simple price protection.

BTW, Dining Packages are good to book ahead of time.

Thanks for the reminder I am going to go out and purchase drink packages for our upcoming Celebrity TransAtlantic. While we are in a Suite for that voyage and get all 4 perks, other family members are not, so I will fix them up. Never want to have price conscious relatives subduing the festivities, plus the pictures afterwards are priceless.

However, regardless of brand, we have decided to purchase the packages from a convenience standpoint and stay on our own schedule during the cruise.

We do end up getting a couple more Bloody Mary's and other poolside libations and trying some concoctions that we have never tried before. Other than the tendency to order wine by the glass, (you can order bottles at a discount) it makes for a better vacation experience.

I am going to go out and purchase drink packages for our upcoming Celebrity TransAtlantic. While we are in a Suite for that voyage and get all 4 perks, other family members are not, so I will fix them up. Never want to have price conscious relatives subduing the festivities, plus the pictures afterwards are priceless.

BigMike: You might want to double check if you really have all 4 perks on a transatlantic. That promotion doesn't apply to transatlantics!! You may find that you have to purchase that drink package for yourself.

In answer to the OP's question, if you are captain's club elite plus, the 10% discount on drink packages will apply to the upgrade, but only if you upgrade on board. For others, there is no difference in price unless there is a special sale. If there is no sale prior to the cruise, there is no penalty for waiting and who knows, there might be a sale on board.