Snorkeling Recommendations

ksswinggal

We love to snorkel and it sounds like the Keys have a great reef. Any recommendations for particular snorkeling excursions?

For an uncrowded sail and snorkel out at the reef, the Floridays which goes right out of the pier in front of the Hyatt on Front Street ---> http://www.floridays.org/ The morning trip is about three hours long; one out, one to snorkel, and one back. Drinks & snacks.

But if you have more time, Sebago does a five hour trip on the Appledore V ---> http://www.keywestsebago.com/tour/schooner-reef-cruise/ It's longer because they spend more time sailing out to and back from the reef and they serve a nice lunch.

Pjk

Edited by peter_krynicki

I have gone on the Sea Eagle multiple times and highly recommend it, it is less crowded than some of the Sebago Catamarrans, and a little cheaper. They do not provide drinks buy you can bring your own, sodas and bottled water, not sure about Alcohol. The have both morning and afternoon departures usually 2 stops about 3 1/2 total.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure it depends on where you've been before, but when I went snorkeling 10 months ago in Key West it was just terrible. I have gone there for years but now the reef is mostly dead and there isn't much fish life. If you've never snorkeled before, or never on a live reef, this might be worth it, but really, I will never do it again.

I'm sure it depends on where you've been before, but when I went snorkeling 10 months ago in Key West it was just terrible. I have gone there for years but now the reef is mostly dead and there isn't much fish life. If you've never snorkeled before, or never on a live reef, this might be worth it, but really, I will never do it again.

Unfortunately, our friends who have a vacation home in Key West tell us the same. :o

LuLu

Unfortunately, our friends who have a vacation home in Key West tell us the same. :o

LuLu

This doesn't help the Op much, who I'm sure will be visiting on a cruise, but no other Keys snorkling beats Looe Key. It rivals any other snorkling I've ever done.

• 3 months later...