Katakolon - rent a car, or reserve a tour?

Vineyard View

We will visit Katakolon in October and are very interested in spending some of our day exploring Olympia. Does it make more sense to

1) Reserve a private tour

2) Reserve a car and self drive

3) Grab a cab upon arrival?

I understand that there will be 4 ships in port this day! Ugh!

Thank you!

It's very easy to drive from the port to Olympia, pretty much one turn only required and then a straight shot on the highway; I think about a 35-minute drive. Also, easy to reserve an automatic transmission and easy to park at Olympia. The rental rate is very reasonable and if you drive, you have full control of your time there.

The museum is very good, with all label copy in both English and Greek; visiting there first helps with your tour of the very ruined ruins. Really no need for a private tour, which actually is hard to arrange because there are no licensed guides based in Katakalon (at least not when we visited a few years ago), just car or taxi drivers who cannot enter the sites with you because Greece is very stringent in their licensing requirements for guides.

Edited by CintiPam

Hello Vineyard,

I know there is an Avis in Katakalo. I am also there in early October and I have rented a car through them. They were very prompt in email replies, etc. I am renting a 5 seater, auto transmission with AC for 65 euro for the day.

If you just google Avis Katakalo I am sure you can find all their info.

• 2 weeks later...

Was in Katakolon yesterday. As soon as you walk out of the gates across the street is a place that rents cars and offers bus to Olympia. We paid 40 Euro for the day. Fit 4 people comfortably and the a/c worked. Spent a few hours at Olympia. Do not miss the museum. It has an impressive collection. Afterwards we stopped at a beach 2 km from the port that the rental agency recommended. It was beautiful and it was refreshing to go for a swim after a hot day in Olympia.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've just posted an account of our day at Katakolon (7th July 2014) recently - its about four posts down in this thread.

Just be aware that the 'straight shot' on the motorway goes right past the turnoff for Katakolon if you aren't watching the signs carefully. We missed it and it took us 10 mins to realise that we had overshot it. It was also a bit stressful finding our way back again with all aboard time looming.

Very good experience with Diplas car rental. My husband left his glasses in the car and they contacted us and have promised to send them. Straight ahead when you leave the pier enclosure and easy to prebook on line.

That was the company we used as well. Supplied us with a map for the drive to Olympia as well; a quick and easy drive.

Edited by CintiPam

We have booked with Avis for late Oct after considering the other excursion options. Small car, auto shift, and we can look over the Olympic site and then please ourselves for the rest of our day. This is late in our cruise, and we`ll have been on lots of other organized van-trips, so the idea of being mobile and on our own is very attractive.

Reports from others who have done this are eagerly waited!!!!!

• 1 year later...

I've booked lots of cars whilst on a cruise, but none more efficient and easy to find as that at the DIAS TRAVEL AGENCY in Katakalo. Their website is available at

http://rentacarkatakolo.gr/en/

Their office is directly, and I mean directly outside the port gates. Once booked, their communication is quick and efficient. You are greeted by a representative with your name on a board. My wife, daughter and I were away to Olympia within five minutes of arriving at the Car Rental - and the rest they say in Olympia - is history.

Kevin