Will my plans work?

mitsugirly

Coming into PR at 12:50pm from flight.

Estimating maybe 1/2 hour in getting off plane and getting luggage then catching the shuttle to rent a car from Charlies. We are going to say hopefully by 2pm. (Not sure how long it takes at the car rental place, I hope since we are coming in 4 days ahead of our cruise, on a Thursday, that it will not be some mad rush there).

So it's approximately 1 hour to El Conquistador Resort. Now we are at 3pm or so. I believe they said check in is at 4pm, so we might just take our time getting there or stop at the store or something along the way.

Check in, take our luggage to our room and get ready for our biobay tour.

So coming in at around 1pm, with everything involved, we should be able to make the earliest biobay tour correct?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now the next thing I'm sorta confused about.

On the bioislandpr site it shows bio bay tours at: 6pm, 7:15pm & 8:30pm.

HOWEVER, when I try to book a tour it's saying: 7pm, 8:15pm & 9:30pm.

?????

Anyone been recently that can comment before I book?

I forgot to mention...their website does not have a "contact" button to ask them this question.

Edited by mitsugirly

I cannot comment on the timeline as flights from the West land at night in San Juan, so there's only time to get to the hotel. It does seem like a very long day though. Is doing the bio tour on another day an option? (I love your reviews btw!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I cannot comment on the timeline as flights from the West land at night in San Juan, so there's only time to get to the hotel. It does seem like a very long day though. Is doing the bio tour on another day an option? (I love your reviews btw!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The problem is that there's a "half-moon" during that time and as each day goes on, the moon becomes brighter and more "exposed" making it harder to see. So, I figured we would just have to do it the night we got there.

It is going to be an extremely long day for us because our flights out is at 6am (which means that we will probably be up around 3:30-4am to get ready and leave for the airport). :eek: Hopefully we can nap on the plane on the way there.

Just because El Con lists their check-in time as 4pm, you don't have to wait until 4pm to try to check in. Your room readiness depends on 1) when the last guest checked out and 2) when Housekeeping can get the room cleaned and inspected. No harm in getting there early; if the room isn't ready, they will hold your bags and you can relax in the resort, grab a bite, grab a drink, settle into a cozy chair, sit by the pool... Be sure to give them your cell # so they may call you as soon as the room is ready if you have to wait. Depending on how the Revenue Management is run currently at El Con, rooms may be pre-assigned and you just have to wait, or ready rooms are doled out "first come, first served" as guests arrive. I've worked both ways at different hotels. You may luck out and have a room that wasn't occupied the night before and is actually ready at 9am, but may also have a room that had a HHonors Diamond guest in it last night and is insisting on their 4pm late check out amenity...

Just be prepared for whatever comes your way and roll with it!

Edited by slidergirl

hi Mitsugirly,

In March 2015 I had originally booked the BioIsland early tour for myself and my 14 year old son, but they contacted me and changed the time to 7:45. That was going to be their first tour of the night.

I arrived at SJU on the Saturday of Easter week about 1 pm, rented a car from Enterprise, stopped for a fast food (sorry that's what my son likes) lunch along the way, and arrived about 2:30 at Casitas, which is part of El Conquistador.

Our room was ready. We rested for a little bit, and went to the infinity pool. It was beautiful and peaceful (hardly anyone there), with a view of the ocean.

The hotel has a map on how to drive to Las Croabas Park, the meeting point for kayaking and boats for bio bay.

On the way there we stopped at a roadside shack for empanadas and drinks for our dinner.

Las Croabas was packed locals and tourists! Maybe because it was Saturday night during Easter. In fact I got stuck in a minor traffic jam looking for a spot in the parking lot. I was a bit nervous and called BioIsland from my cell phone. There was no answer, I left of message, and someone called me back in about 5 minutes, telling me there was plenty of time. I did find street parking not too far away.

The boat tour itself was very restful, so the later time was not a problem for us. There was a later tour after ours.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful time and cruise!

They probably adjust the time for summer when it doesn't get dark until 7 or so.

Here's the page with their contact info.

https://fareharbor.com/bioislandpr/items/1832/availability/4424411/book/?selected-items=1832

:eek: Well thank you so much! I searched everywhere and couldn't find a listing. I'm going to email them to double check. I imagine you are right thought about the difference being the sundown schedule and maybe they just don't change it on their web or something.

When I looked it up, it said sunset was at 6:54, so I guess that makes sense to not start the first tour until around then. :)

Just because El Con lists their check-in time as 4pm, you don't have to wait until 4pm to try to check in. Your room readiness depends on 1) when the last guest checked out and 2) when Housekeeping can get the room cleaned and inspected. No harm in getting there early; if the room isn't ready, they will hold your bags and you can relax in the resort, grab a bite, grab a drink, settle into a cozy chair, sit by the pool... Be sure to give them your cell # so they may call you as soon as the room is ready if you have to wait. Depending on how the Revenue Management is run currently at El Con, rooms may be pre-assigned and you just have to wait, or ready rooms are doled out "first come, first served" as guests arrive. I've worked both ways at different hotels. You may luck out and have a room that wasn't occupied the night before and is actually ready at 9am, but may also have a room that had a HHonors Diamond guest in it last night and is insisting on their 4pm late check out amenity...

Just be prepared for whatever comes your way and roll with it!

Hmm, good point. If they will hold our luggage I would love to have a look around and take pictures while waiting. That wouldn't be too bad and I hadn't really thought of that. Thanks for mentioning it. :)

hi Mitsugirly,

In March 2015 I had originally booked the BioIsland early tour for myself and my 14 year old son, but they contacted me and changed the time to 7:45. That was going to be their first tour of the night.

I arrived at SJU on the Saturday of Easter week about 1 pm, rented a car from Enterprise, stopped for a fast food (sorry that's what my son likes) lunch along the way, and arrived about 2:30 at Casitas, which is part of El Conquistador.

Our room was ready. We rested for a little bit, and went to the infinity pool. It was beautiful and peaceful (hardly anyone there), with a view of the ocean.

The hotel has a map on how to drive to Las Croabas Park, the meeting point for kayaking and boats for bio bay.

On the way there we stopped at a roadside shack for empanadas and drinks for our dinner.

Las Croabas was packed locals and tourists! Maybe because it was Saturday night during Easter. In fact I got stuck in a minor traffic jam looking for a spot in the parking lot. I was a bit nervous and called BioIsland from my cell phone. There was no answer, I left of message, and someone called me back in about 5 minutes, telling me there was plenty of time. I did find street parking not too far away.

The boat tour itself was very restful, so the later time was not a problem for us. There was a later tour after ours.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful time and cruise!

Thanks so much for the detailed information.

I was wondering, since you stayed at El Conquistador, did you go over to their private island? If so, what did you think? I also read that you have to pay extra for their water park. :( :rolleyes: (Which I think is crappy to pay this kind of money for a place like this and then it's not even free???). We are trying to decide if we want to take our extra day and do their island or waterpark or stick with the original plans of visiting the rain forest of Luquillo. I hate paying to stay in a place that you can do all these things there and not actually get to do them.

Ugh...I need about a week in San Juan. :eek: :D

Hey Mitsugirly,

I’ll try to attach some photos from El Conquistador (haven’t tried this on cc before- not sure if it will work)

Infinity pool

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5d6hm7v315ik1jr/100_2494.JPG?dl=0

view from the room terrace at Casitas

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqksvtq7gw1drp3/100_2479%20fr%20Las%20Casitas%20North%205162%20terrace.JPG?dl=0

The furnicular down to marina was a lot of fun, with great views

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hanqcasrm3hd7zu/100_2554.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7wn88j9b0uydux/100_2544.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgor8p37qqt1vc3/100_2549.JPG?dl=0

We timed ourselves for the 2nd boat to Palomino Island according to the hotel schedule. When we got to the dock there was a mother and daughter there already. They were there waiting for the scheduled 1st boat which never arrived! Soon after lots more people arrived, and the boat arrived. It was the first run even though according to the schedule it should have been the 2nd.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0z3b9996coh8kt/100_2529%20boat%20to%20Palomino%20Island.JPG?dl=0

The Island was very nice. Lots of chairs in shade and sun, soft sand. We swam a little but didn’t stay long, since we were going to get on a cruise that day.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpl17oy1mb43l9z/2015-03-15%2010.59.33.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8axwt8059yjerdk/2015-03-15%2010.57.12.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixssh5bguqca41c/2015-03-15%2010.56.16.jpg?dl=0

We had been to El Yunque rainforest previously and it’s wonderful and special. While we enjoyed Palomino Island, I wouldn’t miss the rainforest.

I THINK EL sAN JUan Resort and C asino arfe ssma NWERS And THAT PROPERTY IS iSLA vERDE DisRICT. .El Conquistador is a distance from airport. It is not in san Juan.

Edited by sail7seas

I THINK EL sAN JUan Resort and C asino arfe ssma NWERS And THAT PROPERTY IS iSLA vERDE DisRICT. .El Conquistador is a distance from airport. It is not in san Juan.

I did not see anyone reference to the ESJ, only the El Con... Even employees within the Hilton family refer to it as El Con - just to much of a mouthful to always say El Conquistador. Yes, it is close to an hour drive from SJU. El Con is the closest "chain" hotel to Fajardo and the small bioluminescent bay there. A little further away would be the Wyndham Rio Mar or the Grand Melia. If someone wanted a good beach without having to take a boat to Palomino, those would be valid choices.

If you want to stop along the way to Fajardo, stop off at Rio Grande. It is where you exit the toll road and enter PR-3 (the road that will take you to Fajado. It is also the slowest part - about 40 minutes to go 18 miles!!!) There is an outlet mall, a Walgreens, and a Ralphs grocery store to pick up any last minute forgotten items and junk food. Then, maybe another mile and you'll come on El Verde BBQ on the left side of the road. Good Puerto Rican BBQ at a roadside stand!! Or, further up, maybe 15-20 minutes, stop off at the Luquillo Kiosks and sample some street food. I'm sure there are places up in Fajardo before you get to El Con, but just thought I'd throw these out.

Edited by slidergirl

Me thinks Sail7 is hitting the bottles tonight. :D :p

I did not see anyone reference to the ESJ, only the El Con... Even employees within the Hilton family refer to it as El Con - just to much of a mouthful to always say El Conquistador. Yes, it is close to an hour drive from SJU. El Con is the closest "chain" hotel to Fajardo and the small bioluminescent bay there. A little further away would be the Wyndham Rio Mar or the Grand Melia. If someone wanted a good beach without having to take a boat to Palomino, those would be valid choices.

If you want to stop along the way to Fajardo, stop off at Rio Grande. It is where you exit the toll road and enter PR-3 (the road that will take you to Fajado. It is also the slowest part - about 40 minutes to go 18 miles!!!) There is an outlet mall, a Walgreens, and a Ralphs grocery store to pick up any last minute forgotten items and junk food. Then, maybe another mile and you'll come on El Verde BBQ on the left side of the road. Good Puerto Rican BBQ at a roadside stand!! Or, further up, maybe 15-20 minutes, stop off at the Luquillo Kiosks and sample some street food. I'm sure there are places up in Fajardo before you get to El Con, but just thought I'd throw these out.

Thanks for the information on places to go. I have been stalking google earth and trying to find the Walmart, CVS and even fast food places to grab something quick and "cheap" if needed. I hate the thought of spending so much at the resort restaurants. I did manage to locate these places in Fajardo.

YOUR PICTURES....

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the pictures. Those were awesome!!

I believe I read there are different pools on the property. You mentioned the Casita's and I believe that's part of the property that is exclusive. We won't be staying that that section, so probably won't be able to use that pool if it's there.

What is the funicular for? Does it take you from the hotel to the marina to get on the boat to go over to their island or something? Is there anything else down there if you are not going over to the island?

Does the boat run to the island like every so often? Do you have to sign up for it or just show up at the times posted when it is supposed to arrive?

The beach and sand over there look amazing! Do you know if there's any snorkeling over there?

I really really appreciate these pictures and your time. Thanks so much.

Hi Mitsugirly, I'm happy to help if I can. You've helped so many of us on this forum!

Yes, there are a lot of pools. We saw a few and they were very pleasant, large and with good views. The resort is huge and spread over a hill. The funicular is a way of getting to the different levels.

http://www.elconresort.com/map-directions/

You can see it on this map:

http://www.elconresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Resort-Map-Updated-092013.pdf

The boat to Palomino Island runs back and forth throughout the day. No reservations needed. The schedule is in the activities program and on a billboard on the dock.

We didn’t snorkel but I saw a few fish in the sandy part, so it looked like there were possibilities further out. (We were leaving and I didn’t want wet gear in the suitcase.) Here’s what the website says about shore snorkeling:

http://www.elconresort.com/play/palomino-island/diving-snorkeling/

Rher than make suc h ugly accusa tiion, try to resis it.

V don't y nk.... not even wine sinc e m Dpassed away. I use to enjoy sine with him

.Find someone elese to call a 'drunk'. :eek:

I hurt hand and have trou ble tgyping. [t I will heal in time.

Hi Mitsugirly, I'm happy to help if I can. You've helped so many of us on this forum!

Yes, there are a lot of pools. We saw a few and they were very pleasant, large and with good views. The resort is huge and spread over a hill. The funicular is a way of getting to the different levels.

http://www.elconresort.com/map-directions/

You can see it on this map:

http://www.elconresort.com/wp-conten...ted-092013.pdf

The boat to Palomino Island runs back and forth throughout the day. No reservations needed. The schedule is in the activities program and on a billboard on the dock.

We didn’t snorkel but I saw a few fish in the sandy part, so it looked like there were possibilities further out. (We were leaving and I didn’t want wet gear in the suitcase.) Here’s what the website says about shore snorkeling:

http://www.elconresort.com/play/palo...ng-snorkeling/

Thanks so much for the info. I must have been looking at the wrong site for them because I didn't see any of that information when I looked. I'm definitely going to check it out a little more. Thank you! :)

Edited by mitsugirly

Rher than make suc h ugly accusa tiion, try to resis it.

V don't y nk.... not even wine sinc e m Dpassed away. I use to enjoy sine with him

.Find someone elese to call a 'drunk'. :eek:

I hurt hand and have trou ble tgyping. [t I will heal in time.

I wasn't making an accusation. I was making a funny (which is why I started the sentence out with "Me thinks" and ended with a :D:p). I didn't mean to offend you at all. Just joking with you. Please forgive me. I thought most of the "regulars" around here that know me knows my sense of humor.

Sorry to hear about your hand and I hope it gets better soon. I know how those things go. I broke my right hand (I'm right handed) back on one of my cruises. Typing was not an easy task. :)

We stayed at El Con last summer and had a wonderful time! Lots of photos and some info in my review.

Photo review: Adventure OTS, Hurricane rerouted itinerary

We are heading back in a week and a half, but are staying in Ponce pre-cruise and Isla Verde post-cruise this time.

We arrived on a Tuesday and planned nothing for that day. If your flight doesn't arrive until 12:50, by the time you get your car, get some lunch and drive out there, your room will probably be ready.

On Wednesday, we spent the morning and afternoon at El Yunque and stopped at the kioskos in Luquillo for a late lunch on our way back. This was an unexpected hit with my kids. On Thursday, we went out to Palamino Island in the morning, then spent the afternoon at the water park. Admission was reduced after 2:00pm, I think. We enjoyed it. On Friday, we went to the Window Cave, all the way on the other side of Puerto Rico. Originally, we had booked a BioBay tour that evening, but it was canceled due to the seaweed issue last summer.

The funicular is the "elevator" up and down the huge hill. The resort itself is up top, but the ferry and water park are at the bottom. Our room was at the bottom, so we got lots of rides on it!

Don't forget to include parking in your budget. Even self-parking was like $18/day or something crazy. And it was so far away that there was a shuttle running back and forth. We always walked it though.

I have a few restaurant recommendations. Don't eat at ElCon unless you have to. Expensive and not all that great.

Dinner at La Estacion (http://laestacionpr.com/) and Calizo Seafood (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...erto_Rico.html). Brunch at Las Vistas Cafe (http://www.lasvistascafepr.com/intro.html)

Have a great time!

We stayed at El Con last summer and had a wonderful time! Lots of photos and some info in my review.

Photo review: Adventure OTS, Hurricane rerouted itinerary

We are heading back in a week and a half, but are staying in Ponce pre-cruise and Isla Verde post-cruise this time.

We arrived on a Tuesday and planned nothing for that day. If your flight doesn't arrive until 12:50, by the time you get your car, get some lunch and drive out there, your room will probably be ready.

On Wednesday, we spent the morning and afternoon at El Yunque and stopped at the kioskos in Luquillo for a late lunch on our way back. This was an unexpected hit with my kids. On Thursday, we went out to Palamino Island in the morning, then spent the afternoon at the water park. Admission was reduced after 2:00pm, I think. We enjoyed it. On Friday, we went to the Window Cave, all the way on the other side of Puerto Rico. Originally, we had booked a BioBay tour that evening, but it was canceled due to the seaweed issue last summer.

The funicular is the "elevator" up and down the huge hill. The resort itself is up top, but the ferry and water park are at the bottom. Our room was at the bottom, so we got lots of rides on it!

Don't forget to include parking in your budget. Even self-parking was like $18/day or something crazy. And it was so far away that there was a shuttle running back and forth. We always walked it though.

I have a few restaurant recommendations. Don't eat at ElCon unless you have to. Expensive and not all that great.

Dinner at La Estacion (http://laestacionpr.com/) and Calizo Seafood (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...erto_Rico.html). Brunch at Las Vistas Cafe (http://www.lasvistascafepr.com/intro.html)

Have a great time!

Oh my gosh, thanks for the review and info.

I'm glad I read about the google maps to El Yunque and putting in El Portal Visitor Center. I'll make note of that.