Coastcruiser is going to St. Maarten

gtaylor

It seems that your visit needs a thread of its own, so I thought I'd start one. There should be a lot of information here for anyone visiting St. Maarten. :)

Re phones:

We rented phones from Joyce Prince, along with her cars for a while, then bought our own phone to use on St. Maarten. Certainly ask Joyce, but the phone rental was VERY reasonable. I would guess something like $20 for a week, with discounts for two weeks or +, there are some minutes on the provided phone, but you need to add time (prepay) with a card from the grocery or convenience store, for your calls. I think it worked out to about $0.30/minute for outgoing calls, and incoming were free.

Now we usually use Skype or Google Voice to call using WiFi, and make the calls for free or for a few cents per minute.

gary

Coastcruiser asked a question about La Vista I didn't answer earlier.

Yes, they have complimentary parking at street/office/pool level. I'm certain that they have security, though I don't have any distinct recollection of such.

I mentioned the stairs, and some of the units at the top of the resort are pretty high. I found a photo on their website that shows what you could face.

The good news is that if you have a car, or I suppose even walking, there is a street behind the units where you can park and enter the unit on the upper level.

The street appears to be Zircon Road, but I see that Google Maps has La Vista placed at the wrong location. It is located on Bill Folly Road below the intersection with Zircon on that map.

I'll try to have them make another correction. I'll do a quick corrected view of the location and the area and post it later. You've got lots of time. :)

gary

Google Maps:

I guess that I've become some sort of 'Trusted User' or such on Google Maps, as it appears that they have already incorporated my edit on the La Vista location. :)

More info to follow.

gary

I have seen a security guard before at La Vista and the Flamingo has security walk the roads around their resort and they also have a guard at the booth very near as within eyeshot of the the beach villas.

The residential area beyond the Flamingo and La Vista resorts is VERY dark at night and I would not walk down there at night, but it is an upscale neighborhood and a safe place for a walk during the daytime.

Edited by Karysa

It seems that your visit needs a thread of its own, so I thought I'd start one. There should be a lot of information here for anyone visiting St. Maarten. :)

Re phones:

We rented phones from Joyce Prince, along with her cars for a while, then bought our own phone to use on St. Maarten. Certainly ask Joyce, but the phone rental was VERY reasonable. I would guess something like $20 for a week, with discounts for two weeks or +, there are some minutes on the provided phone, but you need to add time (prepay) with a card from the grocery or convenience store, for your calls. I think it worked out to about $0.30/minute for outgoing calls, and incoming were free.

Now we usually use Skype or Google Voice to call using WiFi, and make the calls for free or for a few cents per minute.

gary

Good info!

Wow, thanks Gary, we are honored to have our own thread:)

Hopefully this will become active and provide much needed information to anyone spending some time in St. Martin. Over on the Europe Port of Call there is a thread going on for a couple of years, once called "I Live in Copenhagen . . . " and now "Wonderful Copenhagen" The poster is DanishViking and is an asbolute wealth of information. Original thread reached thousands and this one is well on its way. Gary and Karysa, this one may be yours for St. Martin!

Thank you for the additional info on LaVista, it helps in having as much information in advance as possible. We are still working on the car rental aspect and waiting to hear from Joyce.

Pat

• 4 months later...

Hi Gary and Karysa,

Yes, we certainly are going to St. Maartin/St. Martin. We are getting down to the wire, leaving here May 10th and looking forward to enjoying two wonderful weeks on the island.

Many thanks to both of you and all the rest of the regular contributors that gave us detailed information and guidance on travelling the island.

I went underground during income tax season, have one more "office" day this week, suitcase is half packed, and needless to say we are ready to travel. Though we have visited frequently over the years by cruise ship, we have never had enough time to enjoy the island, the time is now. Thank you again for all your help.

I look forward to continue reading all your comments and hints to travellers.

Happy cruisin . . .

Hi Gary and Karysa,

Yes, we certainly are going to St. Maartin/St. Martin. We are getting down to the wire, leaving here May 10th and looking forward to enjoying two wonderful weeks on the island.

Many thanks to both of you and all the rest of the regular contributors that gave us detailed information and guidance on travelling the island.

I went underground during income tax season, have one more "office" day this week, suitcase is half packed, and needless to say we are ready to travel. Though we have visited frequently over the years by cruise ship, we have never had enough time to enjoy the island, the time is now. Thank you again for all your help.

I look forward to continue reading all your comments and hints to travellers.

Happy cruisin . . .

Sadly you are not the only one that has gone underground. Gary has not posted on here for a couple of months either :( and I for one miss him and the valuable information that he has provided on here for many years. His maps and directions have been brought back to life but he has his pulse on the island and his absence has left a big hole here. Like you have, I hope he resurfaces soon as well.:) have a wonderful trip and if you have any questions before you leave just ask away. If your questions are regarding restaurants and beaches I got it, directions, current bridge opening times and up to the minute information on the other hand .....:o

Sadly you are not the only one that has gone underground. Gary has not posted on here for a couple of months either :( and I for one miss him and the valuable information that he has provided on here for many years. His maps and directions have been brought back to life but he has his pulse on the island and his absence has left a big hole here. Like you have, I hope he resurfaces soon as well.:) have a wonderful trip and if you have any questions before you leave just ask away. If your questions are regarding restaurants and beaches I got it, directions, current bridge opening times and up to the minute information on the other hand .....:o

Absolutely, thank you Karysa, I am putting together all the information I gathered these months from you and Gary and now down to confirming calling codes. Checked out Chez Pat this week and his number now has a new code so do have to go back make some adjustments. We will be using the cell phone from Joyce Prince between St. Martin and St. Maarten so need to clarify the codes.

A couple of questions: what is the website to check on ships in port while we are there; and what is your latest update on the new Simpson Causeway?

Thanks again . . .

Pat

Absolutely, thank you Karysa, I am putting together all the information I gathered these months from you and Gary and now down to confirming calling codes. Checked out Chez Pat this week and his number now has a new code so do have to go back make some adjustments. We will be using the cell phone from Joyce Prince between St. Martin and St. Maarten so need to clarify the codes.

A couple of questions: what is the website to check on ships in port while we are there; and what is your latest update on the new Simpson Causeway?

Thanks again . . .

Pat

http://www.portofstmaarten.com/ is what I find the best for finding out which ships are in port.

I haven't been on the island since July and there is not much info on here about the causeway bridge. The good news though is there have been less complaints about the traffic from Maho to the pier in the afternoon so I think that it has been helping. Ask Joyce for the latest Simpson Bay bridge opening times and write them down and try to avoid that area at those times. Enjoy your vacation!:)

Hi Karysa,

I just got off the phone with Joyce, never thought of asking her about the Causeway, will do so when we meet next Sunday. Thank you for the web site re ships in port, will do that now.

We have everything in order, car and phone is rented. For all that are reading this, renting a phone from Joyce Prince makes it far more convenient in that from her phone you only have to enter the number you are calling, same as if you are home in the States.

Codes are different between the Dutch and French side and can be confusing, so this service facilitates that challenge.

After years of visiting St. Martin/Sint Maarten we are now taking the time to spend a couple of weeks.

I will be sure to "report" when we return. Thanks again to all who contribute to the boards.

Happy Cruisin'

Coastcruisers a/k/a Bill and Pat