Getting to Aix-en-Provence from Toulon

Adventures ahead

We'll dock in Toulon on Fri Sept 12 from 7am-6pm.

We thought of going to St. Tropez but reviews make it sound overrated with not much to see beyond expensive yachts, homes and shops. Think we'll scrap that idea and go to Aix-en-Provence instead.

The Aix ship's tour is $99/pp, 1.5 hrs by bus each way, 4 hr visit, lunch on your own. We usually don't do ships' tours but am a bit concerned about the distance and travel connections if done on your own. How easy or time-consuming might it be to go to Aix-en-Provence by train from Toulon or do we give in to the ship's tour in this case?

If you use the faster TGV trains it takes about 1:10 - 1:20 each way...plus the time to get to and from the train stations. That being said, and having helped lots of folks do their own thing over the years, whenever we see a post with the "C" (concerned) or "W" (worried) words we often suggest that folks just spend the big bucks and take the cruise line excursion :).

Hank

If you use the faster TGV trains it takes about 1:10 - 1:20 each way...plus the time to get to and from the train stations. That being said, and having helped lots of folks do their own thing over the years, whenever we see a post with the "C" (concerned) or "W" (worried) words we often suggest that folks just spend the big bucks and take the cruise line excursion :).

Hank

Hank, you're a "R" (riot):)! We're 'usually' only "C"oncerned when it's our first time in a new place and the distance is 'far' or there are multiple connections. Last summer we went into Rome, Florence and Athens on the trains - those were straight runs. Have you done this run yourself, from Toulon? Do you know if you stay on the same train or would need to change trains in Marseille? Having said that, I truly appreciate your suggestion and we may cave in, less so if we can stay on the same train and save time. There's a second ship's tour that stops in Marseille, practically making Aix a lunch stop, but I think it would be better to spend more time in Aix.

BTW, off topic (my thread), did you say you're in PV this winter? (It may have been someone else.) DH and I are spending all of March in old town. Stayed two weeks last March and loved it! Our neighbours have been going longer for years. We may extend our time next winter when I'm retired.:D

Thanks for your tips.

Hank, you're a "R" (riot):)! We're 'usually' only "C"oncerned when it's our first time in a new place and the distance is 'far' or there are multiple connections. Last summer we went into Rome, Florence and Athens on the trains - those were straight runs. Have you done this run yourself, from Toulon? Do you know if you stay on the same train or would need to change trains in Marseille? Having said that, I truly appreciate your suggestion and we may cave in, less so if we can stay on the same train and save time. There's a second ship's tour that stops in Marseille, practically making Aix a lunch stop, but I think it would be better to spend more time in Aix.

BTW, off topic (my thread), did you say you're in PV this winter? (It may have been someone else.) DH and I are spending all of March in old town. Stayed two weeks last March and loved it! Our neighbours have been going longer for years. We may extend our time next winter when I'm retired.:D

Thanks for your tips.

Oh my! Having had my few evening margaritas (we are now wintering in Puerto Vallarta) I hope we did not insult you in any way. And would you believe we live right in the Old Town (many expats like to call it the southside) and will be meeting another CC poster this coming Monday.

I believe some of the trains do require a change in Marseille (no big deal) and others are direct. It is best to check the schedule on the SNCF web site within a month of your trip since they do sometimes change the schedules with the seasons. Since we have never trained out of Toulon's train station we cannot offer advice on the distance from the ship to the train station. We have long been critical of the cruise lines going to Toulon instead of Marseille (better train and highway connections) but it is what it is! Instead of an easy 45 min (or less) trip from Marseille...you need to allow more time from Toulon.

And yes, we agree that spending more time in Aix is a good thing. We love having lunch in anyone of the many cafes/restaurants that line the well known Cours Mirabeau. But then DW and I are strange in that we would rather spend time having a nice lunch in a French cafe as opposed to being herded by a tour guide ("watch for my sign"). But I guess we are just a bit strange. After more then forty years of extensive international travel we have never tired of the prospect and fun of going to new places and enjoying new restaurants/cafes. And having read (and heard on TV) all the negative comments about the French and traveling in France....we cannot wait to get back into that fantastic country where most of the French have always gone out of their way to make us feel welcomed.

When planning our upcoming European land trip I asked DW where she waned to go...with the knowledge that we would have a car and the time to go most anywhere in Western or Central Europe. Her response was quick....lets stay in France this year. My biggest problem when driving in France is planning on where to stay so I can walk to dinner! This, of course, means I do not have to be concerned with drinking too much wine, pastis, etc and then having to drive. Being cruise lovers (that is why we love CC) we will get to Europe on a cruise ship (often cheaper then business class and more fun) and then its off to deal the roads, hotels, and other stuff that make land trips a challenge.

I should add that since we are quick to offer advice on European travel, we do still feel a need to do it on our own. We try to give advice based on our own personal experience as opposed to what we read in a book, the web, etc. But one caution is that things are always changing...so everyone should do a lot of their own homework.

Hank

Hank,

I wasn't the least bit offended. You give honest answers, based on personal experiences, and leave room for people to form their own opinions and make their own decisions. Absolutely, things change from the last time visited so, yes, up-to-date research is always needed. Thank you.

Will you still be in PV in March? We're staying at a small condo across from the Tropicana.

Hank,

I wasn't the least bit offended. You give honest answers, based on personal experiences, and leave room for people to form their own opinions and make their own decisions. Absolutely, things change from the last time visited so, yes, up-to-date research is always needed. Thank you.

Will you still be in PV in March? We're staying at a small condo across from the Tropicana.

Nope. We head back to the States at the very beginning of March to get ready for an upcoming long trip to Europe. Have to go home sometime to catch-up with all the doctors :).

The Tropicana is alive and well and waiting for your arrival. We live only a few blocks from that hotel.

Hank

We're actually at a condo across the street. It was built in 2008 - modern inside but surrounded by Mexican charm. Sorry we won't haves a chance to meet. Maybe our paths will cross another time.

I'm sure you'll respond to another of my questions as I will be looking forward to adventures ahead. Cheers!

We did the ship's tour last year but it was only $54 pp. It was also on a Sunday so there were fewer transportation options. We thought the $54 was well worth it. Not sure what to say about $99.

What to say? Greedy!

Hank

We did the ship's tour last year but it was only $54 pp. It was also on a Sunday so there were fewer transportation options. We thought the $54 was well worth it. Not sure what to say about $99.

$99/pp is the price on the Princess website. When I click on our sailing, the excursions for this port aren't listed yet. Something to think about.

What to say? Greedy!

Hank

Yeah Hank, We thought it was a pretty good deal at $54, especially since it didn't waste any time as the bus took us right from the ship to Aix. There was also enough open on Sunday to keep us busy for a few hours. It also included a guide. We were on RCI for that trip, not Princess.

Yeah Hank, We thought it was a pretty good deal at $54, especially since it didn't waste any time as the bus took us right from the ship to Aix. There was also enough open on Sunday to keep us busy for a few hours. It also included a guide. We were on RCI for that trip, not Princess.

At $54 we might even take that bus ourselves. I guess somebody realized it was a good deal so they had to increase the price :)

Hank

I, too, am in a conundrum over Aix and Toulon. I did get a quote from a taxi company for $320 for 8 people (8 passenger van is their largest), transfer from Toulon to Aix and back. I believe it's a flat rate of $320, regardless of the number of passengers. Works out to $160 for my family of 4 if I can get 4 others on my roll call. Of course, we would be without a guide in Aix. However, it's much more reasonable than what Princess is asking of us.

Hank, do you think this is the way to go?

(Although I'm still hoping the car rental will magically work out).

At $40 a head it sounds like a good deal. Having the guide was nice, but I wouldn't say it was essential. A map and a guidebook will do the trick. There were a number of people that didn't stay with the group and just used the bus to get there and met back at the bus when it was time to leave.

I, too, am in a conundrum over Aix and Toulon. I did get a quote from a taxi company for $320 for 8 people (8 passenger van is their largest), transfer from Toulon to Aix and back. I believe it's a flat rate of $320, regardless of the number of passengers. Works out to $160 for my family of 4 if I can get 4 others on my roll call. Of course, we would be without a guide in Aix. However, it's much more reasonable than what Princess is asking of us.

Hank, do you think this is the way to go?

(Although I'm still hoping the car rental will magically work out).

Sounds like a good plan, if you can fill the van. Keep in mind that with a rental car you may still need to use a taxi to get to and from your car (depending on where you rent), will have to pay for gas (not cheap) and might need to pay to park in Aix. Using a guide in Aix is not necessary as long as you have some kind of guide book/map. You can get a local handout at the tourist office (in Aix) or invest in a decent guide book like the Rick Steve's series.

Hank

hsaroya,

Princess posted their excursion today at $89/pp for the Sept 11 sailing. $40/pp in a shared taxi sounds quite reasonable and less hassle than the train (I'm considering). Judging from the tour description and with a bit of research, it appears that a guide may not be all that important. It may depend on if you have children who need a guide to bring things to life. That said, a car rental wouldn't provide you with a guide either.

A quick internet search just turned up three companies. For one you have to submit a form, another said the distance is 21km (not!) and the third has a minivan/bus price for 8 of 470-484 Euros RT! You may need to share your company's web address with me:confused:!

hsaroya,

Princess posted their excursion today at $89/pp for the Sept 11 sailing. $40/pp in a shared taxi sounds quite reasonable and less hassle than the train (I'm considering). Judging from the tour description and with a bit of research, it appears that a guide may not be all that important. It may depend on if you have children who need a guide to bring things to life. That said, a car rental wouldn't provide you with a guide either.

A quick internet search just turned up three companies. For one you have to submit a form, another said the distance is 21km (not!) and the third has a minivan/bus price for 8 of 470-484 Euros RT! You may need to share your company's web address with me:confused:!

I just realized that I typed $ when I meant to say euro. However, it is still considerably cheaper than Princess.

Apologies in advance to the mods if I'm breaching rules about posting company websites. I'm never entirely what is allowed and what is not. I received my quote online, immediately, from taxido.net. Make sure you select return transfer. Please bear in mind that I do not have any experience with this company.

Sounds like a good plan, if you can fill the van. Keep in mind that with a rental car you may still need to use a taxi to get to and from your car (depending on where you rent), will have to pay for gas (not cheap) and might need to pay to park in Aix. Using a guide in Aix is not necessary as long as you have some kind of guide book/map. You can get a local handout at the tourist office (in Aix) or invest in a decent guide book like the Rick Steve's series.

Hank

Hank, the other thing I'm considering is a local public bus to Sanary Sur Mer for a couple of euro each. I had hoped to go to Bandol, then stop off at Sanary on the way back, but as it is a Sunday, the infrequency of the busses means the timing for coming back from Bandol is pretty tight. Do you have any experience with Sanary? Is it worth the trip, on its own? Thank you, as always!

Hank, the other thing I'm considering is a local public bus to Sanary Sur Mer for a couple of euro each. I had hoped to go to Bandol, then stop off at Sanary on the way back, but as it is a Sunday, the infrequency of the busses means the timing for coming back from Bandol is pretty tight. Do you have any experience with Sanary? Is it worth the trip, on its own? Thank you, as always!

Sorry, but since we do not have any personal experience this issue we will watch and read just like you. Sundays are always an issue in France (and much of Europe) and our only experience in the Sanary area is that we once drove through the area when we were driving east. You are talking about visiting French shore resort areas, which is fine if that is what you want to do with your port day. Our own preference lies further north in Provence, but this is just a matter of individual taste. If you do decide to just go along the coast to Bandol and Sanary...spend some time doing research and have an idea of what you want to do with your day.

Hank

I just realized that I typed $ when I meant to say euro. However, it is still considerably cheaper than Princess.

Apologies in advance to the mods if I'm breaching rules about posting company websites. I'm never entirely what is allowed and what is not. I received my quote online, immediately, from taxido.net. Make sure you select return transfer. Please bear in mind that I do not have any experience with this company.

No worries. That works out to about US$55/pp. In the end, if I can figure out the schedules :eek:, I think we may actually take the train. Sept is still a long way off so maybe someone who will have recently blazed the trail, or who has done this before, will post to this thread.

Hank,

Rick Steeves ("." that's a grain of salt :)), recommends avoiding the TGV train because of its location, although his map indicates there's a shuttle bus to nearby the Centre-Ville station. You mentioned the extra travel time so now I get what you were saying in your initial post. I'll also compare the travel time for the train going to Centre-Ville.

No worries. That works out to about US$55/pp. In the end, if I can figure out the schedules :eek:, I think we may actually take the train. Sept is still a long way off so maybe someone who will have recently blazed the trail, or who has done this before, will post to this thread.

Hank,

Rick Steeves ("." that's a grain of salt :)), recommends avoiding the TGV train because of its location, although his map indicates there's a shuttle bus to nearby the Centre-Ville station. You mentioned the extra travel time so now I get what you were saying in your initial post. I'll also compare the travel time for the train going to Centre-Ville.

We do not always agree with the Rick Steves recommendations (especially when it comes to eating venues) but the TGV station problem does exist in several key French cities (Avignon is a great example). What this means is that in some cases, it actually makes more sense to take a slower regional train rather then the faster TGV train because the slower train might actually get you to your final destination faster and for less money. You really need to look at the train schedules and see what works best, allowing for the extra time to get from the TGV station into the tourist part of town.

The good news is that all this kind of info is available on line for those willing to do a little homework. Many of us also try to mention these issues here on CC.

But there is a lesson here. Many European cities have multiple train stations so one must always do a little research on the stations used by their own train and how to get from that station to the part of town of interest. This can be really relevant to cruisers. One excellent example is the regional train that goes between the Port of Civitavecchia and Rome. That train stops at multiple stations within the city of Rome, but most cruisers will go to the main Termini Station. But there are actually some great advantages to getting off at the S Pietro Station for many folks....but they often have no clue as to this option. And it is the same all over Europe.

Hank

• 2 years later...

We will be on Viking Mediterranean cruise, stop in Toulon for one day on Apr. 20, and do not yet know what the ship's shore excursion will be for Toulon--probably just the ships in port or tour of that city?? I would rather go to Aix en Provence, if possible to do so in one day. Checked messages from other travelers earlier who were considering possibilities & want to be sure we could go and get back in time--probably 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Someone suggested taxido.new (w/return transfer), whose van seat 8 and if full, could go for $55 pp--trip to take about an hour one way? Any suggestions? Also considering how we might get to Hyeres? (only about 10 miles to east)--if we do that, might be renting a car. But parking in Aix is a problem, apparently. Thanks for whatever info anyone can offer--or if interested in the van option (if you are there at same time???):)