Getting off the ship before the final destination

almostnewtocruise

Does anyone know what's the right procedure if you plan to cut your cruise a little shorter and disembark in a port which is not your "final" one?

I know that people are "allowed" to do it all the time - see emergencies (sometimes you can be even 'expelled" from a ship ! ;))

But if it's your plan from the start... Should you let the company know before the cruise? Or just leave it - and get it arranged with Guest Relations while on board?

Any suggestions?

TIA

Miriam

Is your cruise departing from the US?

If so you are bound by cabotage laws. For instance if your trip was NY to Orlando to Miami, you would not be legally allowed to disembark in Orlando. If your embarcation port is not the US you can usually get off at any point but you do need to notify the cruiseline so they don't need to search for you, call the cops and declare you mia etc.

Edited by aerospace

Is your cruise departing from the US?

If so you are bound by cabotage laws. For instance if your trip was NY to Orlando to Miami, you would not be legally allowed to disembark in Orlando. If your embarcation port is not the US you can usually get off at any point but you do need to notify the cruiseline so they don't need to search for you, call the cops and declare you mia etc.

Noooo.. I forgot to mention that it starts in an EU port and the port we want to get of at is also in the EU (the final destination is Turkey).

But do we need to notify the cruise line "now" - or will be enough to do it while on the ship?

thanks!

Firstly, this is not a problem in the EU and we have done this twice before. We notified the cruiseline pre-cruise of our intention, so best to do that. That said, I see no reason why it would not work by approaching guest relations on board. For anyone considering boarding a day later, that is possible too but again the secret is definitely to let them know in such case!

Enjoy your cruise.

Firstly, this is not a problem in the EU and we have done this twice before. We notified the cruiseline pre-cruise of our intention, so best to do that. That said, I see no reason why it would not work by approaching guest relations on board. For anyone considering boarding a day later, that is possible too but again the secret is definitely to let them know in such case!

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks!

(it's so good to know that one can find an answer to any question here! :))

Miriam

Noooo.. I forgot to mention that it starts in an EU port and the port we want to get of at is also in the EU (the final destination is Turkey).

But do we need to notify the cruise line "now" - or will be enough to do it while on the ship?

thanks!

At one time Italy had cabotage laws, if they still do, and it's an Italian port, it may be a problem. In any case, you need to call the number listed in the Celebrity FAQs and notify them/get permission:

Can I Join My Cruise After It Starts Or Disembark Before It Ends?

It depends on the specific itinerary of your cruise, your nationality, and various United States and foreign laws. Joining the cruise at one of its ports of call or leaving the cruise prior to its scheduled termination point may be prohibited by law. If you need to join late or leave early, or both, submit your request in advance and we will tell you whether your proposed changes will be permitted.

For more information, call 800-256-6649. There is a cut-off date for submitting this information, so make your request early. Please note that no refunds, prorated or otherwise, are granted to customers who join their cruise late or leave their cruise early. Certain governments impose fines or other charges when a guest permanently disembarks from a cruise before its final port of call. The guest will be responsible for those charges.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

At one time Italy had cabotage laws, if they still do, and it's an Italian port, it may be a problem. In any case, you need to call the number listed in the Celebrity FAQs and notify them/get permission:

Can I Join My Cruise After It Starts Or Disembark Before It Ends?

It depends on the specific itinerary of your cruise, your nationality, and various United States and foreign laws. Joining the cruise at one of its ports of call or leaving the cruise prior to its scheduled termination point may be prohibited by law. If you need to join late or leave early, or both, submit your request in advance and we will tell you whether your proposed changes will be permitted.

For more information, call 800-256-6649800-256-6649. There is a cut-off date for submitting this information, so make your request early. Please note that no refunds, prorated or otherwise, are granted to customers who join their cruise late or leave their cruise early. Certain governments impose fines or other charges when a guest permanently disembarks from a cruise before its final port of call. The guest will be responsible for those charges.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks again!

Will call,,,

Miriam

Call

Send SMS

Add to Skype

You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

That is really good to know!

Just finished a Baltic cruise with my DH and friends. We brought the subject up at lunch in Copenhagen because we would have loved to spend an extra day there instead of returning to the ship and having another at sea day before our final port of Amsterdam, where we started the cruise. If I'm ever on another closed loop cruise, I just might do that.

Nearly did a cruise with you, hope all is well.

Anyway, we also wanted to leave the ship before final port, so asked on our roll call how to go about it. Well An individuel who answered that said you just walk off the ship, didnt have to inform anyone :eek:

That didnt sound right to me, so Icontacted Celeb and they told me the right way to do it! So I was glad I did as we were in Europe and those leaving( there were about 10 )had to go thru a passport check etc.

So when in doubt , read the directions comes to mind.;)

Have a good trip....Joan.

We did it a year ago on the Infinity at the last minute.

The last to ports were Naples and Rome. Our flight out of FCO was just at the margin of being too early. The night before Naples we decided to see if we could disembark in Naples, take a train to Rome and have a pleasant day there and have an easy to make flight the next day.

We ask if it was possible at Customer Service. They said yes. We had to fill out a form that said we did not expect any reimbursement from Celebrity and that was it.

Couldn't have been easier.

Nearly did a cruise with you, hope all is well.

Anyway, we also wanted to leave the ship before final port, so asked on our roll call how to go about it. Well An individuel who answered that said you just walk off the ship, didnt have to inform anyone :eek:

That didnt sound right to me, so Icontacted Celeb and they told me the right way to do it! So I was glad I did as we were in Europe and those leaving( there were about 10 )had to go thru a passport check etc.

So when in doubt , read the directions comes to mind.;)

Have a good trip....Joan.

Joan, what cruise is it? (the one that we "nearly did together" :))

Is it the Azmara in August?

(And yes.. we are well.. or at least as well as can be expected in the circumstances ..:))

Thanks everybody for all the information provided.. , This community is really awesome!

And Wine-O.. I wouldn't dream of asking for a rebate for the prepaid gratuities.. no more so than for the meals we won't be eating.. or the drinks we won;t be drinking.. etc etc etc.. ;)

Miriam

and wine-o.. I wouldn't dream of asking for a rebate for the prepaid gratuities.. No more so than for the meals we won't be eating.. Or the drinks we won;t be drinking.. Etc etc etc.. ;)

miriam

LOL. I know. I just read a thread a few months back where someone was leaving the ship early and asked about getting reimbursed for gratuities. Some of the comments were quite amusing. :)

The cruise was last yr, going to Almalfi, and Santorini as part of the ports. We were going on the same tour to Almalfi that you had arranged. Unfortunatly we had a family obligation to take care of so had to cancel.

Dont have your E- mail address any more of course, otherwise I would ask some question s re Santorini as we are going in Oct this yr.

Hope you are safe where you are located and that things will soon get worked out. Regards.....Joan.

Please don't ask for a rebate on your prepaid gratuities if you leave the ship early. :rolleyes:

Correct...my mother died on the third day of our two week cruise and they would not even consider a partial rebate on the gratuities.

I was able to get a refund on her zip lining excursion. So I guess all was not lost.

The cruise was last yr, going to Almalfi, and Santorini as part of the ports. We were going on the same tour to Almalfi that you had arranged. Unfortunatly we had a family obligation to take care of so had to cancel.

Dont have your E- mail address any more of course, otherwise I would ask some question s re Santorini as we are going in Oct this yr.

Hope you are safe where you are located and that things will soon get worked out. Regards.....Joan.

Oh... the Equinox! I remember!! :)

It was a lovely, lovely cruise.. and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have ( miriam10_il at yahoo dot com)

And thanks very much for you concern .. we try to be as safe as possible :)

Miriam