Anybody been able to get liquor through Galveston?

To get liquor thru galveston recently?

No problem at all on our Feb 10-17th cruise.

Two different members of our party simply put it in their carry on, put it through the scanner and nothing was said.

Have a great cruise!

Mike:)

I am hearing it is pretty strict now for Royal Caribbean but not for Carnival. I think it really depends on what cruise you are doing. Also if you want to be sure to get it back, if they take it, leave it in the original containers. From the reports I have read, they will return it to you the last night as long as it is in the original unopened bottle. If it is is in anything else, they toss it. So if you are on RCCL and wanna try, just leave it in the original bottle and if you have to give it up you stand a better chance of getting it back.

Been on recent cruises on RCL and Carnival out of Galvestion. Taken liquor on each time no problem. Always wrap it carefully and put it in checked luggage.

A.

When was your last RCCL out of Galveston? According to your signature it was in Dec. is that correct? Just checking because folks that have been in the last month are the folks reporting the increase in the enforcing the liquor rules.

We're just off the Splendour yesterday. As we were on our way to customs I noticed a "full bar" set up with big labels on them. There were many, many unopened bottles. I'm sure they don't catch all of them, but they sure did confiscate plenty! Of course, I'm not sure if they were confiscated in carry-ons or in checked bags.

I agree December is not long ago and would normally consider it recent except the rules are changing fast on the booze thing..

There are reports from those just off this last week, they were checking luggage. One person did not smuggle but was called down, they had to open their bag because of something suspect, it was a bottle of Febreeze!

This is a quote from this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=533443

Smuggling booze: We did not do this but we have brought on wine and beer in the past on RCCL - both in packed bags and carry-ons. The Galveston port is strict - one of my bags I packed Febreze and they did not deliver the bag to my room until I went down to security and unlocked my bag and let them look at it - it was Febreze! But they thought it was alcohol. You could see a table of all the confiscated wine and booze when we were getting off the ship

I have read other such reports too. They are saying that if you have an open bottle of water even, they check it. Guess everyone told all their tricks on the forums and now they know. I always knew people talk about certain things too much and this will happen.

Now all these reports have been during spring break so I wonder if that is why the crackdown?

RCCL Rhapsody 3/25/2007-I did NOT attempt to get my wine in due to posts of RCCL strict new no-smuggling rules, and I was kicking and screaming about it....they don't carry my wine on board.

I will confirm also what MellowMel saw, many bottles of tagged bottles of boose on a table at disembarking.

How was it packed??

We left it in the original bottles. We put the 2 bottles together and wrapped it in bubble wrap, then put it in one of those bigger size ziplocks.

No problems when it showed up in the room.

Remember liquor stores close at 9pm on Sat.

Michelle

To get liquor thru galveston recently?

they are not enforcing any of the rules, treat this as any other cruise...smuggle away.....watched several passengers bring a case of beer and drink in line while awaiting to board....and the security/Carnival staff allowed them to bring on there alochol in the open....

we had no problems..

• 1 year later...

We were on RCL Voyager this past March and had no problem. We packed a 'travelers' 1.5L bottle (plastic) of gin sold by one of the liquors stores in Galveston and a 3L box of wine. However, our travel mates had a regular bottle of Skyy Vodka and a regular bottle of Crown Royal in one of their suitcases - the vodka was taken but not the CR :confused: - go figure. Can only guess the baggage screener had a preference for vodka LOL.

A lot of people swear by the rumrunner flasks. I have some but never used them, so I can't attest to their effectiveness.

Good luck and happy cruising.

Any updates on the Galveston port and getting alcohol on board? Taking a Carnival next month if it matters...

We just cruised July 13th, we had three 32oz rumrunner flasks, one in each suitcase, plus a case of miller lite 16oz plastic bottles, about half in a duffel and the others scattered around the other suitcases. Everything got through fine. My father brought two 5 liter boxes of wine and those also made it through.

Archived