Ovation - better for sea days or the ports of call?

I have a cabin on the charter, but I have sent a email this morning to cancel it. It's a lot of money, and I have a cruise around South America planned for Feb 2017. Is it true that there is only 700plus crew on board? I always take reviews lightly (just spent 2 sensational weeks on Oceana in April, and if you read the reviews it was hell), but 10'000 bucks for the two of us, and a larger percentage of them at sea just concerns me. I hope it all goes well for RCI......

I read somewhere that it is just over 4,000 passengers and 1,100 crew

A link to the RCI site with some ship facts. http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=QN&shipCode=OV&br=R

Class and type: Quantum-class cruise ship

Tonnage: 167,800 GT[1]

Length: 348 m (1,142 ft)[1]

Beam: 41 m (135 ft) (waterline)[1]

Draught: 8.5 m (28 ft)[1]

Decks: 18 (16 passenger-accessible)[1]

Propulsion: Diesel-electric

Two 20.5 MW (27,500 hp) ABB Azipod XO thrusters[2]

Four 3,500 kW (4,694 hp) bow thrusters[1]

Capacity: 4,180 passengers (double occupancy)[1]

4,905 passengers (maximum occupancy)[1]

Service: 1500 crew.

Thanks Mic, so it must have been the double occupancy number I saw, but the crew numbers were way off:)

Goes to show how differing lines have different pax/crew ratios.

OotS has 1500 crew- 4900 pax while

QM2 has 1400 crew -2600 pax.

Solstice has 1100 crew -2800 pax

Shows how much more automation has gone into this vessel, as they've said, including on the front-end - the robotic bartenders.

It's much fewer crew proportionally than other RCL ships as well.

Yes, time will tell if the service is sufficient enough (for me anyway).

Disappointed they are all NZ cruises - prefer tropical cruises as better guarantee for warm weather. Will be our third time to Wellington in a few years! Ho hum.

But for us it's about the ship & we have a hold on a cabin for the 14 day NZ on Jan 9.

They do have a large covered adults solarium area so if it's cold or lots of kids onboard that will be our escape.

Was going to do the 10 day New Years but concluded it may not be enough days/nights to experience all the ship has to offer, considering the number of shows & restaurants, plus the sports options.

I also prefer South Pacific itineraries but could you imagine that many people on Isle Of Pines?!

Just something to keep in mind that in cool weather they do open up the solarium for certain times of the days for kids to use as well. For example they may allow kids in there between 10-11am, and 3-4pm.

You'll still have it yourself for most of the time but just a heads up!

Goes to show how differing lines have different pax/crew ratios.

OotS has 1500 crew- 4900 pax while

QM2 has 1400 crew -2600 pax.

Solstice has 1100 crew -2800 pax

Wow that's so interesting to see!

The crew to guest ratio really does seem to represent the difference of each line - a better ratio on Cunard and Cebrity that sell themselves a bit more on attentive service.

From a 'service to guest' perspective, it is the ratio of service staff that is likely to have greater impact on the punter then the absolute crew total number.

These modern ships are built to require less 'ship's crew' like engineering, maintenance etc. The number of cabin stewards, waiters etc that serve directly the passengers will give the measure of one ship vs another.

All that said, any cruise would be good :)

From a 'service to guest' perspective, it is the ratio of service staff that is likely to have greater impact on the punter then the absolute crew total number.

These modern ships are built to require less 'ship's crew' like engineering, maintenance etc. The number of cabin stewards, waiters etc that serve directly the passengers will give the measure of one ship vs another.

Totally agree, the numbers would be so much better and meaningful if they could split the crew into the two parts.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I wish they would give that sort of break up somewhere.

Crew number how many make the ship run, how many on rooms, how many waiters how many bar staff. They are the raw numbers that impact on my cruise.

I also prefer South Pacific itineraries but could you imagine that many people on Isle Of Pines?!

Just something to keep in mind that in cool weather they do open up the solarium for certain times of the days for kids to use as well. For example they may allow kids in there between 10-11am, and 3-4pm.

You'll still have it yourself for most of the time but just a heads up!

Yes, I have cruised in Alaska when they allowed the kids inside the adults solarium, but it won't be an issue on Ovation as she has both an outside & inside general pool PLUS the adults solarium, plus the kiddies pool area.:D

They have also separated the adults solarium so you don't have to pass through it to reach the lifts, which should see a drop in the kids that are just 'passing through'.

Everyone's happy!

Yes, I have cruised in Alaska when they allowed the kids inside the adults solarium, but it won't be an issue on Ovation as she has both an outside & inside general pool PLUS the adults solarium, plus the kiddies pool area.:D

They have also separated the adults solarium so you don't have to pass through it to reach the lifts, which should see a drop in the kids that are just 'passing through'.

Everyone's happy!

Let us hope that is the case for my cruise, it will make it so much better.:D