Am I pushing my luck: FLL Flight

sakapfet

I agree with the PP. We had a 12:10 flight out of FLL and we self-debarked at 9:00am. We were the only passengers in the terminal. It was very fast. Once we were through customs we grabbed one of the cabs that were waiting in front of the terminal, and were at the airport by 9:30am. Just make sure you self-debark before they start calling numbers for assisted debarkation. There was quite a crowd waiting to be called off the ship!

My cruise ship gets to Port Everglades at 8am and my flight out of Fort Lauderdale is 11:40am, will I make it or not?

i hope you won't have a problem, b/c i have a very early flight like this too.

the good thing about this port...it's very close to the airport. i wldn't do this if i had a cruise out of port canaveral, and a 40 minute ride to mco.

fingers croseed, we'll both be fine barring any customs issues.

You will make this flight-- by doing self embarkation--which will get you to the airport VERY early.

or do early tags-- which will get you off with the first group of people AFTER self assist.

Self assist--you need to take care of all your luggage with no help- Porters will not be available for you. Elevators are very slow and you might have to take the stairs.

We always book the noon flight out of FLL and always made it to the airport before 10am taking the first off.

(because your ship is listed at the pier at 8am-- doesnt hold much. You probably will arrive a lot earlier then that-- but will need to wait til the ship can clears customs. Self embarkation ususually starts at 7:30 and ends at 8:30 - then they close and lock those doors.

Self embarkation is usually not done through the main atrium)

We made our 11:10am flight with plenty of time to spare, we didn't self disembark because we had a suite which are the first set of numbers called after self. we were sitting around the airport at 9am.

I can't say that there will not be any delays on your sailing with customs or a late arrival, just letting you know my experience.

We always showed our airline tickets to the pursers desk the day before debarkation and they give you the color tags that is first off the ship (after self-debark). Doesn't seem worth self-debark to me when you immediately follow them anyway. We've had 11:00am flights home out of FLL and had no problem at all. We never used self-debark and were at the airport by 9:30 both times. Don't sweat it :)

FrannyK

Costa Riviera 1985

NCL Seaward 1987

CCL Fantasy 1/2000

CCL Sensation 2/2001

CCL Imagination 1/2002

RCI Explorer 6/2002

RCI Monarch 4/2003

CCL Sensation 2/2004

CCL Imagination 2/2006

CCL Liberty Thanksgiving/2006

We always showed our airline tickets to the pursers desk the day before debarkation and they give you the color tags that is first off the ship :)

No more colored tags, everything has gone to numbers.

Just thought i'd let you know because your signature says you have not cruised for a year, the new process is much better:)

Flight prices are really high right now and wanted to make sure we get there on time.... the only ones around 500.00 were leaving at 9:45 last year we flew with American and we arrived on time for each flight but missed two of our connections due to American being late on the previous one. Anyway, they just put us on the next flight out. So I am guessing that is what we will have to do if we miss it. :(

Flight prices are really high right now and wanted to make sure we get there on time.... the only ones around 500.00 were leaving at 9:45 last year we flew with American and we arrived on time for each flight but missed two of our connections due to American being late on the previous one. Anyway, they just put us on the next flight out. So I am guessing that is what we will have to do if we miss it. :(

If you miss the earlier flight, most likely you will be waiting around a while even possibly overnight if it's a particularly busy travel day. Most flights these days are going out full or overbooked. If you miss your flight they will put you on the next flight they have a seat available which may or may not be that day. Coming home from my cruise last February every flight that weekend was overbooked. When I showed up for my 3pm flight, there were people there that had been trying to get out since the day before. The next day when I flew home, some of those people were still trying to get home.

I have a 9:45 am Flight:eek: what do you think my chances are?

I don't think you have any chances:eek:

even self disembarking will get you off the ship my lets say, 7:30am provided there is not a huge amount of people trying to get off the ship at the same time, then go thru customs, sometimes no line, sometimes backed up... catch a taxi, load luggage, drive to airport, unload luggage, stand in line to print out tickets, wait for name to be called, wheel luggage over for Xray, stand in line to get thru security and hope the lady infront of you is not brining a dog on the plane and is digging everywhere to find the dogs health certificate, find your terminal.......hope your plane is late so you can make it.

We are traveling in February as well. Hum... just got an email saying they moved the flight up to 9:30. This may be a problem.... Now I am going to worry.

How much did they change your flight by? If it's over an hour you can call and get moved to a later flight (if it has available seats) at no extra charge since it is their change.

Just got off the phone with NWA and a friend, Friend said she has made that flight before... It is only 17 minute change and NWA said to hold tight and wait because they may be changing it again by the time Feb rolls around. And if we do miss the flight they will just put us on the next one and yes we are taking a chance on waiting a long time. You are so right about the dog thing, something similar has happened. I have been in line before at the airport where a staff person goes through the line asking if there are any early flights anyone needs to get on and they move them to the front. Terrible I know, but it is not something that I have done before. Flights are just crazy right now to change hubbys would be another 300.00 on top of the 500.00 we already paid.

How much did they change your flight by? If it's over an hour you can call and get moved to a later flight (if it has available seats) at no extra charge since it is their change.

We've had to do this too. They kept changing the departure time. I called the airline, explained that we were coming back in off a cruise, and that it would just be cutting it too close. They changed it with no problem. I would suggest doing a little research on your own before you call though...that way you know what your options are ahead of time, and check how many seats are still available on each flight.

just got an email saying they moved the flight up to 9:30. This may be a problem.... Now I am going to worry.

Forget about it, you will start boarding at 9am, what cruise terminal are you departing from and to what airport? And NWA said if you missed the flight that they will put you on the next one? You better get this in writting, as far as I know if you miss a flight you pay for a new one.

Fred

We are traveling in February as well. Hum... just got an email saying they moved the flight up to 9:30. This may be a problem.... Now I am going to worry.

IF the airline made the change you can call them and tell them that flight is not acceptable-and move to a later one.

I would not chance that flight. Its not worth all the stress after paying all that money and enjoying a relaxing vacation with worry at the end getting on a plane.

Personally there is no way to make a 9:30 flight- even if you get off the ship by 8- with self embark and get to the airport and get through security. ARGHHH.

as for gtting a new flight IF the plane is missed- most flights after a cruise are all sold out so you will have to sit and wait anyways.

Just got off the phone with NWA and a friend, Friend said she has made that flight before... It is only 17 minute change and NWA said to hold tight and wait because they may be changing it again by the time Feb rolls around. And if we do miss the flight they will just put us on the next one and yes we are taking a chance on waiting a long time.

They will put you on the next one with an available seat, which won't necessarily be the next flight. What weekend in February are you flying home? I can tell you right now that if it is President's Weekend, there won't be any available seats that weekend, unless somebody on a later flight misses their flight. Other weekends you might get lucky and there be an available seat, but I wouldn't put up hope. If you aren't able to get home that night, you will be responsible for paying for the hotel if you can find a room.

I have missed a flight coming home from a cruise. There was one seat total available that day to get from south Florida to my hometown. If I had been traveling with someone else, we would've been out of luck to get home that day. This was 2 years ago. Load factors are now at an all time high.

Also, if your flight is at 9:30, then you have to be at the airport by 8am, and at the gate no later than 9am. My last cruise the first people didn't even step foot off the ship until close to 9am.

:cool: I booked airfare 10 days ago and they are already changing times on flights leaving FLL. I had a late 5:30pm flight, right know they have me leaving at 7:30 am:eek: Gawd now I am trying to get them to find a flight leaving at least 12 noon. No its not Delta--- But Frontier

If they don't have any available seats left, you can always ask for a full refund since it is due to their change. You'd then be responsible for finding (and paying for) flights on another airline at a going rate.

All airlines make schedule changes. I had a particularly bad one happen with AA a few weeks ago. Unfortunately most of the flights to our destination are already full so we had to be creative to get where we want when we want to, but AA worked with us on it. We had to do all our own research though to find the flights and then tell AA what would work for us.

Self embarkation ususually starts at 7:30 and ends at 8:30 - then they close and lock those doors.

Self embarkation is usually not done through the main atrium)

As a side note to my earlier reply, our debarkation from the Miracle was through the main atrium and they told us we could leave any time starting from 7:30am. Apparently, it is not common to self-debark anytime you want (we were lucky!). They don't advise you of this until you are on the ship, and that doesn't help when you are trying to figure out if you will make a flight before you leave on your cruise! :eek:

Archived