17 Mike drive from Monterey to Carmel

We'll be in Monterey from 8:00 to 5:00 and I've read about the drive to Carmel but haven't had any luck finding any private tour operators. Has anyone done this drive? Any suggestions on doing this excursion?

We'll be there in early October.

Edited by midwestchick

We'll be in Monterey from 8:00 to 5:00 and I've read about the drive to Carmel but haven't had any luck finding any private tour operators. Has anyone done this drive? Any suggestions on doing this excursion?

We'll be there in early October.

The 17 mile drive isn't a free drive . There is a charge because it is for the private estates along the coast.

I realize that but I'm looking for a tour guide or driver.

Your best bet woul be to rent a car in Monterey which would then allow you to drive all over the peninsula including the 17 mile drive. It would be an easy driving day as you are not looking at any great distances. You could spend time in Monterey, Carmel , the Carmel valley and pacific grove without doing more than 100 miles the whole day. Biggest problem in some spots might be the parking but that depends on day of the week. Even along the 17 mile drive you will have time and spots to pull off and enjoy the scenery.

If you prefer a tour bus than driving a rental car, do a quick internet search - pick your favorite search site (Ask, google, bing, etc.) and look up "Monterey 17 Mile drive tours" and see what surfaces. I did this just before posting this and found numerous postings. Since we cannot recommend what we have not used, that is the best I can do.

Monterey is not a huge cruise port, so it is not financially feasible to have lots of mass excursions. I'm sure some of the San Francisco-based companies do these for the few ships arriving.

P.S. I used to do this drive when a friend's now-wife lived inside the drive. I never considered it much of anything. Trees and ocean...

Edited by slidergirl

We drive down to the Monterey/Carmel area a few times a year. If you don't mind renting a car, it is an easy area to drive around on your own, with beautiful scenery and great places to eat everywhere you turn.

The 17-mile drive is beautiful, and there are many places to stop, take pictures, and stroll along the beach. There are also some great places to eat along the 17 mile drive. A couple of years ago we had a very nice lunch at the Inn at Spanish Bay, or you could pick up some sandwiches in town and eat at one of your stops. I think the admission fee per car is $10 (cash only?). I think it is best seen when you can take your time and stop along the way.

A place that is overlooked, but is absolutely incredible is Point Lobos natural reserve, which is the "crown jewel" of the California Park system, located near Carmel-By-The-Sea. http://www.pointlobos.org I call it the walkers/hikers version of the 17 mile drive. The beauty of it is that you can drive the entire loop, and park at one of the many vista lots along the way, hike the entire loop, or stroll along just parts of the trail. My favorite is the Cypress Grove. Lots of opportunities to view California sea lions, harbor seals, and sea otters. Depending on the time of year, whales and dolphins can sometimes also be seen. It can get very crowded during the summer or on weekends, so it's recommended to go early during those times, as they limit the number of cars. There is a $10 admission fee per car and trail maps can be purchased for $2.

There is a lot to do in Monterey, whether it is visiting the beautiful Monterey Bay Aquarium or strolling along Cannery Row. Metered spaces tend to go fast, but there are parking lots. Fisherman's Wharf (restaurants and a lot of touristy shops) has large parking lots. We often stop there for lunch for clam chowder on our way to our hotel. Whale watching trips can be booked here.

Carmel is about a 15-20 minute drive south (perhaps longer in traffic). Beautiful beaches, a nice shopping area, and very pet-friendly. Both Monterey and Carmel have great places to eat at a range of prices, although more on the pricey end, especially in Carmel. I would definitely check out Yelp! and Trip Advisor for more ideas.

I can't see what the advantages would be of taking a tour, unless you are going at a very crowded time (in which case the bus would get stuck in the same traffic as a car), and don't want to have to worry about parking.

I just re-read your post. October is a beautiful time of year to go to the Monterey Peninsula, and not nearly as crowded as summer.

Edited by ams cruiser