Regent Sales and Those Who Book Early

We generally book a new Regent cruise while we are onboard to get the booking bonus in addition to the 5% society benefit. Recently Regent has announced a sale for the cruise we had booked, but they would not honor the reduced fare since it was for new bookings only. Also had they honored that fare, they said we would get neither the onboard booking bonus nor the 5% society benefit.

We realize that Regent is a luxury cruiseline, and perhaps we should not be concerned about a few hundred dollars, but we think this is poor treatment for loyal customers and those who book early. We would have thought that Regent would be more considerate of those who like and support their cruiseline. Any thoughts about this.

I thought I had read somewhere that the SSS discount wasn't a straight 5% anymore, and Regent announced sometime in the fairly recent past that not all cruises would have the SSS savings now. Some would have more, some less, and some none at all.

I had wondered if an onboard booking discount could be used on those sale prices, but the site said "not combinable with any other discounts" so I assumed not.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you.

Actually the cruise we booked early did offer the 5% socienty savings.

Our point was not the specifics of our situation, but our dissatisfaction that Regent is not treating loyal customers and those who book early with consideration. We expect this of Royal Caribbean, but not Regent who always in the past honored decreases in fares. Of course it is their right, but our right is to go elsewhere.

I know it sounds unfair, particularly when you find out the passengers next door pay much less for the cruise. But there are pros and cons with early booking. I always book 6-12 months in advance, because:

-I am the type of person who plan ahead;

-there is guarantee that I will get on the cruise I want;

-I can choose which cabin I want to be in.

Last minute deals is part of life these days, and I understand that the company has to make some money out of the unsold cabins. But maybe the cabins available for these deals are the unwanted ones, in case of the Voyager, perhaps the aft rooms which vibrate!

Anyhow the only time I was left a bit frustrated was when my aunt and uncle decided to join me at the last minute: they got a discount, and even got the suite next to mine.

Marienbad,

Could you have cancelled and rebooked? Or where you already in the penalty period?

I agree, it would really annoy me. I think they used to do extend the savings retroactively, but apparently not anymore!

I am not in a penalty phase, but the sale is for new bookings only. We may switch to Crystal or Seabourn. Interestingly on the Seabourn board one person noted that when Seabourn reduced the fare, they received the lower price. That's what Regent used to do. Is this the upscale rebranding Regent is touting now? I think its poor business practice to alienate loyal customers

Marienbad,

I can understand maybe you don't want to push it. But if your TA cancelled you and then rebooked you, it is (at least technically) a new booking. How could they say no????

Yes, Regent used to extend the lower price retroactively. It never happened to me, but I remember reading about it happening to plenty of people.

Obviously, you ahve to do what you feel comfortable with.

I would be willing to bet that the fine prints states that canceling and rebooking is not permitted. I hope I'm wrong but it's only logical that if they are not willing to match the lower fare for those who have booked they will certainly not be willing to cancel and rebook you.

There is no question if you are not in the penalty phase, you can cancel and rebook at the new rate. I have done it before, and when I have started to do it, Regent has applied the new rate. You cannot apply your discounts to the new rate, but you can move your onboard booking discount to another cruise.

Archived