First visit to Miami

DPH

My wife and I will be visiting Miami for the first time in February 2015.

We will be flying from the UK and arriving in the afternoon of Feb 12. We are staying at the Hilton Miami Airport for two nights before our Celebrity Cruise from Miami Port on Saturday 14th Feb (using their Sailaway Pre-Cruise package).

This means that we will have the Friday to explore Miami and we would be very grateful for any advice and tips on how to make the most of our day – we are both in our ‘seventies’, so nothing too strenuous please! I think we would like to have a nice Lunch somewhere...

Thanking you in anticipation.

David

Shuttle back to MIA, and catch the Airport Flyer bus to South Beach for $2.65 each; lunch, shopping, sightseeing, people watching etc.

http://www.miami-airport.com/pdfdoc/airport_flyer_brochure.pdf

There is also a hop-on/hop-off bus tour of Miami/Miami Beach that might be a good fit for you.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Your ideas sound good to me - very cheap, so we'll be able to have a decent lunch. Any suggestions for a good place to eat?

My wife likes the idea of shopping!

I'll leave it to locals (Blue Herons is usually reliable for Miami area suggestions) to point you to someplace for lunch.

Enjoy your stay and cruise - if we cross paths you owe me a pint (bitter, please). :)

My wife and I will be visiting Miami for the first time in February 2015.

We will be flying from the UK and arriving in the afternoon of Feb 12. We are staying at the Hilton Miami Airport for two nights before our Celebrity Cruise from Miami Port on Saturday 14th Feb (using their Sailaway Pre-Cruise package).

This means that we will have the Friday to explore Miami and we would be very grateful for any advice and tips on how to make the most of our day – we are both in our ‘seventies’, so nothing too strenuous please! I think we would like to have a nice Lunch somewhere...

Thanking you in anticipation.

David

You may consider visiting the Holocaust Memorial. It is free and located just a couple blocks from the Lincoln Road shopping and dining area of South Beach. My College age daughter and I visited this a couple years ago. We are not Jewish but my daughter has read a number of biographies of survivors and has an interest in this subject. Here is a link to some information:

http://holocaustmemorialmiamibeach.org/visit/info/

Enjoy your vacation.

Not sure if there's an easy public transit way to get there, but my wife and I ate at the Islamadora Fish Company in Dania Beach last time we were there.

Had Dolphin (Mahi mahi) sandwiches that I'm still craving! :D

That is a long way to go (and there is no easy public transport) from Miami for a great fish sandwich.

That is a long way to go (and there is no easy public transport) from Miami for a great fish sandwich.

We're actually renting a car in January to go again we liked it that much! Also we figured by the time you pay for transit, cabs, etc. to get around Miami it's worth renting a car for the day.

We did the zoo last time and it was a lot of fun, decent lunch there too (I think we had some tacos).

• 2 weeks later...

The Everglades are pretty cool. I visited in March when everything was dry as a bone. Not sure what it'd be like in January, but I'd still probably go check it out. Seeing alligators up close is something you just don't get to see in my neck of the woods. Lots of other wildlife too.

If you're feeling adventurous, check out South Beach. That would be a fun place to have lunch and people watch for a while.

The Everglades are pretty cool. I visited in March when everything was dry as a bone. Not sure what it'd be like in January, but I'd still probably go check it out. Seeing alligators up close is something you just don't get to see in my neck of the woods. Lots of other wildlife too.

The Everglades in January are great! No mosquitoes and the animals (lots and lots of alligators), birds and fish congregate around the remaining waterholes.

We're actually renting a car in January to go again we liked it that much! Also we figured by the time you pay for transit, cabs, etc. to get around Miami it's worth renting a car for the day.

We did the zoo last time and it was a lot of fun, decent lunch there too (I think we had some tacos).

In Miami, a much better option for fresh Mahi Mahi would be at Garcia's on the Miami River, just outside of downtown Miami. The food at Garcia's is fresh caught daily (they use their own fishing boats), not "fresh frozen", like other restaurants.

http://www.garciasmiami.com/

Edited by brunello22