Ephesus Turkey

Not really sure what section to post this, so forgive me if I've put in the wrong section.

Leaving out of Rome (Civitavecchia) this coming weekend and one of the stops is Ephesus Turkey. Seeing a lot in the news about Turkey lately (I realize that's mainly on the eastern side) but wondering if anyone has been there lately or has any information on how safe this stop may be given what you've seen in the recent past?

I did call RC to see if there are any concerns or changes planned and they nothing so far.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated since this is our first trip to the area and we have no idea what to expect under normal condition, let alone with this turmoil. Thanks for any comments!

This belongs in the "Other Med Ports" forum; likely the mods will move it there.

Kusadasi, your port for Ephesus, is strictly a tourist town. Hundreds, if not thousands of Europeans vacation there regularly. You have no cause for worry.

I will be flying to Istanbul next week to spend a couple of days there before additional stops in Turkey (and Greece) including an overnight in Kusadasi.

Edited by cruisemom42

Cruise ship companies are very conservative and if they had any fears at all about this port, they would cancel the stops there.

Thousands still are visiting off cruise ships there daily. Relax and enjoy this fantastic place.

Not really sure what section to post this, so forgive me if I've put in the wrong section.

Leaving out of Rome (Civitavecchia) this coming weekend and one of the stops is Ephesus Turkey. Seeing a lot in the news about Turkey lately (I realize that's mainly on the eastern side) but wondering if anyone has been there lately or has any information on how safe this stop may be given what you've seen in the recent past?

I did call RC to see if there are any concerns or changes planned and they nothing so far.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated since this is our first trip to the area and we have no idea what to expect under normal condition, let alone with this turmoil. Thanks for any comments!

I think this is a valid concern, and I am glad you asked. We'll be there next May and I watch for posts about this stop on CC all the time! I'll keep watching, have a good time, and give us an idea of it when you get back.

The situation in Turkey is deteriorating fast, but Kuşadası and Ephesus are far from the troubled areas. Violent clashes are happening right now in Istanbul for the second night, but the places where tourists normally go in the historic Old City should not be affected at all. But I would certainly keep an eye on the news if you are planning to travel there in the next few days. Also, for US citizens, consider registering your trip with the State Department through the STEP program so you can receive travel advisory updates (and crisis assistance if worst comes to worst).

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from my Adriatic cruise and we called in Kusadasi and I took a tour to Ephesus. I didn't feel the least bit unsafe and saw no signs of any issues. I was on a private tour and it was an amazing day--highlight of the cruise for me. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Ephesus or Kusadasi. As a matter of fact, I'd like to since we didn't have enough shopping time! :D

My sister and her OH go to Turkey for 3 or 4 weeks every year. They have just come back. I met her today and already they are planning next year's visit. Turkey is a huge country and the current problems are nowhere near the tourist spots.

No cruise company or tour operator is going to take their clients to unsafe areas.