What to do in Katakolon besides Olympia

jvalastro

Hi everyone! We are looking at a cruise that has a stop in Katakolon next summer. I know Olympia is the main attraction for the port, but we are planning on going to Ephesus, which I have heard is far superior to Katakolon, and having 15, 13 and 10 year old kids, I think they would be a little disappointed in Olympia. So, what else is there to do? Are there any other good beaches nearby? Thanks in advance!

There is a small town with the usual collection of shops and restaurants. It is a VERY short walk from the ships. There is also a beach. Not sure how good it is. It is just past the train station which is at the far end of the town (go out from the port and turn right. I don't think it is more than a half mile).

Your kids may be bored with the town. It's a cute, one street town that looks like it was built for the cruise ship business. If not, it has evolved into it. It could be located almost anywhere. Lots of gift shops, places to eat, etc. If Olympia were not here, ships would never stop. Luckily the ship docks about a quarter mile or less from town.

We toured both Olympia and Ephesus, and you are correct. Olympia is a pile of rubble compared to Ephesus. Maybe you treat this as a "take it easy" day with the kids. Go to town, eat some lunch right on the water, buy some souvenirs. Then relax on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone! We are looking at a cruise that has a stop in Katakolon next summer. I know Olympia is the main attraction for the port, but we are planning on going to Ephesus, which I have heard is far superior to Katakolon, and having 15, 13 and 10 year old kids, I think they would be a little disappointed in Olympia. So, what else is there to do? Are there any other good beaches nearby? Thanks in advance!

Two summers ago we revisited Katakolon in August = hot! We had seen Olympia (interesting but dry and dusty), wanted to go to a beach and picked Kourouta Beach. Because it was just the two of us and a taxi to that beach was a bit pricey, we waited by the taxis about 15 minutes until another couple came along and split the fare. It was around 20-25 euros per couple and the driver waited for us for about 2.5 hours. We enjoyed the beach. It was crowded but we didn't mind. I found lots of sea glass so was a happy camper, oops… cruiser!:)

Check this out:

http://www.katakolon.org/beaches.html