chosing a cabin on Viking Emerald

recyclelady

I'm in the process of booking my November 2012 cruise in China aboard the Viking Emerald. I know all the things to look for when booking on a large cruise ship. I am assuming that none of those things matter on a small river boat.

I'm going the lowest route--Category F--and my TA said that I have been booked into cabin 208. I noticed that this is next to a stairwell. Will this be any problem?

Thanks!

We just got back to Chicago. You can get in touch with me jbl.1787@yahoo.com. If your room is near a stairwell, you should check an see if it is the one in lobby. If so, you will have traffic outside you door all the time. If it is the stairwell in the middle of the rooms, I never saw anyone using them. The only problem we had with the ship was that the AC really did not handle the humidity, but you should not have that issue.

We had a marvelous trip. Our program director, Jack, was fabulous. We stayed at the Westin Bund, Kempinski Xian, Regent Beijing and all were lovely.

We just got back to Chicago. You can get in touch with me jbl.1787@yahoo.com. If your room is near a stairwell, you should check an see if it is the one in lobby. If so, you will have traffic outside you door all the time. If it is the stairwell in the middle of the rooms, I never saw anyone using them. The only problem we had with the ship was that the AC really did not handle the humidity, but you should not have that issue.

We had a marvelous trip. Our program director, Jack, was fabulous. We stayed at the Westin Bund, Kempinski Xian, Regent Beijing and all were lovely.

Paperdoll--

Thank you for your reply. Our cabin is located next to a stairwell that is surrounded by cabins--not the one out near the atrium. I think that we should not have any traffic. I sort of wondered if there would be a door banging from the stairwell.

We were on the Emerald in May, and thus, when we booked in 2010, there was no info to be had yet from anyone who had traveled on her.

For that reason, we picked our cabin as we would on a cruise ship -- making sure we had cabins above and below us. (We were on the middle deck.)

In terms of the main deck, which the OP is on, when we booked we had no idea whether what was below that deck would generate noise. Now that folks have been on the Emerald all season, I don't recall reading any noise complaints about main deck cabins, but you may want to do a search on the main Viking China thread.

In terms of that forward stairwell, I can safely say that we never used it (we were forward of the atrium, and always took the main stairs in the atrium). I can't imagine that this staircase gets a great deal of traffic (perhaps the crew use it?) but unfortunately can't help you regarding whether there's a noisy door.

However, the folks at Viking are great. If you are at all concerned about the location, you should contact a reservations supervisor and ask the questions that you have. (Also, if it's within your budget and you want to put your mind totally at ease about that stairway, I don't think the difference between Cat F and E is huge. A question I'd have about the main deck is what's below you.)

One big difference in picking a cabin on the Emerald from picking one on a cruise ship, at least in my opinion, is that there's no reason to pay more $$ to be on a higher deck. All the cabins are the same size (except for several suites), and the boat is not very high anyway!

Have a great trip!

We were on the Emerald in May, and thus, when we booked in 2010, there was no info to be had yet from anyone who had traveled on her.

For that reason, we picked our cabin as we would on a cruise ship -- making sure we had cabins above and below us. (We were on the middle deck.)

In terms of the main deck, which the OP is on, when we booked we had no idea whether what was below that deck would generate noise. Now that folks have been on the Emerald all season, I don't recall reading any noise complaints about main deck cabins, but you may want to do a search on the main Viking China thread.

In terms of that forward stairwell, I can safely say that we never used it (we were forward of the atrium, and always took the main stairs in the atrium). I can't imagine that this staircase gets a great deal of traffic (perhaps the crew use it?) but unfortunately can't help you regarding whether there's a noisy door.

However, the folks at Viking are great. If you are at all concerned about the location, you should contact a reservations supervisor and ask the questions that you have. (Also, if it's within your budget and you want to put your mind totally at ease about that stairway, I don't think the difference between Cat F and E is huge. A question I'd have about the main deck is what's below you.)

One big difference in picking a cabin on the Emerald from picking one on a cruise ship, at least in my opinion, is that there's no reason to pay more $$ to be on a higher deck. All the cabins are the same size (except for several suites), and the boat is not very high anyway!

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the input.

I tend to overthink all things related to a cruise. I think we will most likely be fine in this position. I'm hoping that I do not have the galley directly below me!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the input.

I tend to overthink all things related to a cruise. I think we will most likely be fine in this position. I'm hoping that I do not have the galley directly below me!

Overthinking is part of the fun of planning! I appreciate the question as we are looking to book next year too!:)

• 1 month later...

Hi. We did Imperial Jewels of China with Viking this past May 2011, Beijing to Shanghai, it was a wonderful trip. Just an FYI, we also booked Cat. F on the Emerald, I think we had cabin 206 or 204, anyhow no problems at all. Some have mentioned on other posts problems with the AC, we found that the sensor on the sliding doors is very sensitive and if the doors are not perfectly aligned the AC did not work properly. We had to have someone change out a sensor on our door but all was well from that time on. The cabins all have the private verandas in Cat. A-F and the staterooms are laid out the same so no sense in paying extra to be on a higher floor but that's just my opinion and doesn't mean a thing :rolleyes:

We enjoyed the entire trip, saw so many things of interest and thought Viking did a fantastic job. In fact, we will be doing another Viking river cruise in 3 weeks (12.3) on the Helvetia from Basel to Amsterdam.

Enjoy your trip to China, it will be memorable.

Susan

We were in 206 on the Emerald, which I think was category F. It was surrounded by cabins, so not next to a stair well, but I think there was one for crew members back a little ways. In any case, 206 was absolutely fine. It was kind of nice being so close to the restaurant, too!

• 1 year later...
I'm in the process of booking my November 2012 cruise in China aboard the Viking Emerald. I know all the things to look for when booking on a large cruise ship. I am assuming that none of those things matter on a small river boat.

I'm going the lowest route--Category F--and my TA said that I have been booked into cabin 208. I noticed that this is next to a stairwell. Will this be any problem?

Thanks!

I'm booked in that cabin for November 2013, I was worried it was beside an elevator, but stairs could be noisy too.

Thanks,

Greg

Archived