Lunch quality: Nativeway/Capt Marvin's/Rum Point?

TheWulf

Could someone comment on the quality of the included lunch for either the Nativeway or Capt Marvin's Stingray tours?

Are we looking at "cruise ship buffet" type quality or "local seafood shack" type food?

We're trying to decide if it's worth booking a lunch package or do lunch on our own. Also, what are the lunch options like at Rum Point?

We did the Nativeway Rays, Reef, and Rum tour in January. They gave us the Rum Point menu and they called it in, so it was ready when we got there. It included iced tea, other drinks were extra.

Great, thanks for the info. Nice to know it's freshly prepared.

I think the only other place in Rum Point proper now is Wreck Bar and Grill which has wooden picnic tables. But since the Rum Point Club is (or used to be ) only open for dinner, the food on the tour might well come from Wreck Bar as Rum Point tends to be a single managed beach area.

Add: everything else, more local and finer dining oriented will be a 10-20 minute drive away.

Edited by crewsweeper

Thanks all!

Looks like I won't make it to Rum Point after all though.

Nativeway was fully booked and Marvin's does not go there.

Instead I'll be spending the day on a catamaran and then finding a good lunch option downtown :)

Thanks all!

Looks like I won't make it to Rum Point after all though.

Nativeway was fully booked and Marvin's does not go there.

Instead I'll be spending the day on a catamaran and then finding a good lunch option downtown :)

Look at the Lobster Pot on North Church( great deck great seafood, not unreasonable in prices) or Bread and Chocolate up on Dr Roys Drive and Edwards by the law school and library (veggie, but the best veggie you'll ever eat, sig French toast is amazingly good). For a food truck experience, try to find out where "The Rolling Stove" is at (great curry and rice). They're on FB and also a website. Mostly along Mary Street which interests North Church a couple of blocks past the tender pier.

I was at Rum point with NativeWay 4 days ago.

Many choices of food from fish sandwich special to blt to bacon burger. You get ice tea. Food was hot and good.

What was not good was NativeWay. Our catamaran broke down and we lost an hour returning to get another. Only one employee on catamaran who had to steer from the window sometimes.

One woman fell trying to get onto the boat since there was no one to help. The worker was untying the ropes. She was severly injured with her body hanging between the pier and the catamaran

Look at the Lobster Pot on North Church( great deck great seafood, not unreasonable in prices) or Bread and Chocolate up on Dr Roys Drive and Edwards by the law school and library (veggie, but the best veggie you'll ever eat, sig French toast is amazingly good). For a food truck experience, try to find out where "The Rolling Stove" is at (great curry and rice). They're on FB and also a website. Mostly along Mary Street which interests North Church a couple of blocks past the tender pier.

Thanks for the tips! I will look those up for sure.

What was not good was NativeWay. Our catamaran broke down and we lost an hour returning to get another. Only one employee on catamaran who had to steer from the window sometimes.

One woman fell trying to get onto the boat since there was no one to help. The worker was untying the ropes. She was severly injured with her body hanging between the pier and the catamaran

:eek: Oh my. You say she was severely injured, did they take her to the hospital? If she was severely injured, she didn't go on the tour did she?

• 1 month later...

Mitsugirly, I just read your 2 stingray experiences....

Having first met Sharon & Eldon more than 10 years ago and having taken many sails with them I'm confident Sharon was trying to get you to guys to the rays that first time and convinced someone to let you join them.

I think I know all her boats and guides and I don't recognize that guide or know of a boat she has like you describe.

Your second experience with Chris is what we know from them, and I'm so happy to hear it went well.

Because we've done the rays & rum point so many times, I was considering 7mile this trip....

but remembering how great Chris is with the kids, and how much personal service you get, I may have to just sign up once again!!

Mitsugirly, I just read your 2 stingray experiences....

Having first met Sharon & Eldon more than 10 years ago and having taken many sails with them I'm confident Sharon was trying to get you to guys to the rays that first time and convinced someone to let you join them.

I think I know all her boats and guides and I don't recognize that guide or know of a boat she has like you describe.

Your second experience with Chris is what we know from them, and I'm so happy to hear it went well.

Because we've done the rays & rum point so many times, I was considering 7mile this trip....

but remembering how great Chris is with the kids, and how much personal service you get, I may have to just sign up once again!!

Yes, that was not one of their boats or tour guides they put us on. The problem I had was that we were told that we were late (due to the ships time), but we confirmed and double confirmed prior to leaving for the cruise and she said "ships time" and we also confirmed with the ship the time. We got there ahead of time and couldn't find them and had to sit around and wait. We were told by another operator that she had "just" taken a group over to put in the vans for the tour. The other problem was that once we were told that we missed the trip and there is a time difference, we noticed at several different places that the time THEY had was the EXACT same time WE had. I confirmed with one of the drivers the time and it was the same time we had...so, we were not actually late and they left a few minutes early without us. That was the problem. The way we were being blammed is what left the bitter taste in my mouth about the entire situation.

However, Sharon and Eldon made it up to us and provided us another tour and it was absolutely amazing! That's why I highly recommend them now. Our day couldn't have been better and the tour guides were excellent!

Either way, we have done the tour twice now and probably won't do it again for many years. I plan on heading to Smiths Cove next time I'm in GC and I'm excited to return some day. :)

Not familiar with Smith's Cove, I'll do some research.

I'm sorry it went so poorly the first time. It's actually how i fell in love with them. I first booked them with a group of peeps, from cruise critic back in like 03 or 04. knew nothing about them.

My girlfriend at the time and I overslept and totally missed the tour. We said oh well.

just said money gone.

We went to windjammer had lunch, leisurely got off ship and ran into sharon holding her little sign. i introduced myself, (we were now like 2 hours late) said we were on their morning tour, sorry we missed it, we overslept and we would catch them next time.

Nonsense she said. Got on the phone called Eldon back to come get us, and took us and 1 other couple that inquired while we were standing there out on another ship. Eldon took us himself

She totally could have kept our cash, as I had prepaid. But she insisted we go. That's when I liked them at lot. But that was more than 10 years ago, I can see her being much busier now and her boats full.

I'm so glad she got a chance to make it up to you.

Now, I'm off to research this Smith's Cove... as you and I seem to think a lot alike after reading your posts.

Except of course of choice of primary cruise line. ;-)

Smiths Cove is an area close by the cruise port (by cab) and it's a cute little snorkeling area that sorta reminds me of Bermuda. It has the rocks sticking up out of the water and the locals go there and people jump off the rocks into the water. Not much there, but I like the way it looks and for the snorkeling of course.

531706_10151972576300203_1105971035_n.jpg?1344021031

dest_bnnr_gcm.jpg

filename-tn-dscf3947.jpg

grand-cayman-beaches-1.jpg

plid_6621_Beach_8545770722_30ce19d550_k%20%281%29_article_full_2.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly