El Convento Hotel recommendations?

cmdchiefthom

I've been by this building several times over the years, and wondered about spending several nights there before boarding the NCL Gem for two weeks in October, 2016. I'm hoping someone here can give my some insight on how good, or not so good this place is. This is my 20th wedding anniversary adventure, and I'd really like to stay in a special kind of place for a couple of nights. Any insight would be appreciated.;)

We've stayed there a few times- it's pretty neat. Anymore, it's the only place we stay in San Juan. The ambiance is clearly old Spanish, between the tiles and the walls, and the high ceilings.

We've had good dinners and breakfasts there, but normally head out for both instead of staying at the hotel.

What kind of info were you looking for?

We've stayed there a few times- it's pretty neat. Anymore, it's the only place we stay in San Juan. The ambiance is clearly old Spanish, between the tiles and the walls, and the high ceilings.

We've had good dinners and breakfasts there, but normally head out for both instead of staying at the hotel.

What kind of info were you looking for?

We're booked at the El Convento for a night precruise in March after walking by it and through it many times in the past several years. What type of view have you had, alfaeric? Is it worth upgrading to a better view room?

We're booked at the El Convento for a night precruise in March after walking by it and through it many times in the past several years. What type of view have you had, alfaeric? Is it worth upgrading to a better view room?

To be honest, I don't think we ever really paid attention to the view.

The one time that it was odd- we got there late, and ended up in one of the "basement" rooms. So it was really dark.

There is one really nice room where there was a big outdoor space- and there's only one of those, which I can't remember the number. It overlooks Calle Cristo- and is pretty cool.

But other than that- we've been to Old San Juan enough that the view isn't a massive deal over the room.

I've been by this building several times over the years, and wondered about spending several nights there before boarding the NCL Gem for two weeks in October, 2016. I'm hoping someone here can give my some insight on how good, or not so good this place is. This is my 20th wedding anniversary adventure, and I'd really like to stay in a special kind of place for a couple of nights. Any insight would be appreciated.;)

Insider Tip.

Send a message to "Alfredo" (the Manager) stating the visit is a special occasion stay, being your 20 Anniversary, and ask him for a sea view room. :););).

Leave the rest to him. He will not disappoint.

Do not miss the evening get-to-gether (6/7) for the complimentary cheese and wine gathering

There is so much to say, but best left to yourselves to experience it first hand. Enjoy

Edited by PORT ROYAL

I have stayed here several times, usually 2 or 3 days post cruise. I think it is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. The architecture is old Spanish, built in 1650 I believe, warm woods and floor to ceiling windows. The restaurant is an open courtyard and although the breakfast is pricey, it is simply divine.

The service is world class, call ahead a couple of weeks and make sure they give you a full size bed, I did not do that and had 2 twin beds in my room. It was fine still amazing.

You wont be sorry you stayed. Then you can walk all over OSJ and enjoy the amazing city.

Have fun

Insider Tip.

Send a message to "Alfredo" (the Manager) stating the visit is a special occasion stay, being your 20 Anniversary, and ask him for a sea view room. :););).

Do not miss the evening get-to-gether (6/7) for the complimentary cheese and wine gathering

There is so much to say, but best left to yourselves to experience it first hand. Enjoy��

Thanks for the tip! In fact, it is our anniversary, so I will be sure to email and let them know!!

To be honest, I don't think we ever really paid attention to the view.

The one time that it was odd- we got there late, and ended up in one of the "basement" rooms. So it was really dark.

There is one really nice room where there was a big outdoor space- and there's only one of those, which I can't remember the number. It overlooks Calle Cristo- and is pretty cool.

But other than that- we've been to Old San Juan enough that the view isn't a massive deal over the room.

I agree with you that the view isn't a big deal. We do love Old San Juan and are so looking forward to staying at the El Convento finally!!

Thanks for the info!

Insider Tip.

There is so much to say, but best left to yourselves to experience it first hand. Enjoy

Again, thank you so much for the information, it will make this visit to Old San Juan very, very special.:)

Again, thank you so much for the information, it will make this visit to Old San Juan very, very special.:)

If thinking of evening dining out. May one suggest the excellent MARMALADE RESTAURANT, where you can take a special taster menu together with the correct wine pairing for a set fee. The taster menus consist of 4, 5 or 6 courses.

Take the 6;)

If do not fancy the taster, the is always the ALC to suffer;)

Again, when booking (do so early - popular with locals and cruisers) mention the special occasion, and again the restaurant will not dissapoint. :);)

We have not stayed overnight at this interesting historic hotel, but we have gone there several times on cruise ship stops for drinks & relax, enjoying the ambiance in their open courtyard garden/bar. It was a convent years ago..... probably will be there end of Oct when RC Indy stops in late afternoon!!

Wife and I stayed there just 2 weeks ago, one night pre-cruise....and we are going to book it again for next year.

You are right smack in the middle of historic Old San Jaun, right on the blue cobble stone streets....

Many people on this forum speak of the large ocean front hotels with all the amenities....large spacious king size beds, etc, etc...

This hotel is the complete opposite...but it has a charm that cannot be replicated.

We stayed on a higher floor, and had a view of the harbor.

One of the highlights, was getting out at 6am and walking the streets of old San Jaun as it was just waking up...stopping for coffee with the locals, etc.

Because of all the tourists, you have to use your room key to access the elevator, stairs, and floors where the rooms are.

Edited by B-52