Before and After Cruise with Three Younger Boys

avgsuperheroine

We will be in San Juan before and after our cruise. When we fly in and when we debark, our hotel check in isn't for 8+ hours following, at 4pm.

Our boys will be 8, 10, 11. We're flying from the midwest so it will be a really long trip.

I'm tempted to schedule things, like the food tour which sounds great, but I'm worried that it may not be wise to plan expensive things to do when I don't know how the long trip will affect the boys.

San Juan is a bucket list destination for me, so I do want to see some of the city. What would be your recommended activities? Both times we're in town from early morning until late morning the following day.

We will be in San Juan before and after our cruise. When we fly in and when we debark, our hotel check in isn't for 8+ hours following, at 4pm.

Our boys will be 8, 10, 11. We're flying from the midwest so it will be a really long trip.

I'm tempted to schedule things, like the food tour which sounds great, but I'm worried that it may not be wise to plan expensive things to do when I don't know how the long trip will affect the boys.

San Juan is a bucket list destination for me, so I do want to see some of the city. What would be your recommended activities? Both times we're in town from early morning until late morning the following day.

I've heard great things about all or half day tours with Ellis Fleicher (just google "tour with Ellis" to see his FB page). He needs to be pre-booked before your cruise, as his tours sell out quickly!;) Ask him and I expect that he would have some great recommendations for tours for your young boys!:cool: Have fun!:D

I wholeheartedly agree with using Ellis. I have used him twice and have him booked for next year as well. Tell him what you want to do/see and he will take care of you. He lists some of his tours on Craigslist as well to give you an idea.

http://puertorico.en.craigslist.org/trv/5127056875.html

You can email him at fleisherellis@aol.com

Just a friendly tip: At least on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, you can check in WAY before your documents tell you. It is not advertised, but you will not be turned away. You can arrive at the pier and check your luggage at around noon or a little earlier, board the ship, eat, then head back out to sightsee. I did this on our last cruise.

Both times we're in town from early morning until late morning the following day.

With an early morning arrival at the beginning of your vacation, I wouldn't plan on doing much in the way of sightseeing. After an hour or so the kids are probably going to have a meltdown. If I read your question correctly, you're staying overnight in San Juan upon arrival. Why not contact the hotel and find out the cost for an early check-in? It'll be worth the monies spent. Everyone can rest and then have a fun late afternoon/evening...

• 3 weeks later...

The boys might enjoy exploring the forts in old San Juan. They are not expensive and I believe 1ticket gives admission to both. As well, in front of El Morro is a huge lawn area. A popular activity is kite flying on this lawn. It would give the kids a chance to run around after travelling.

I would second a visit to either or both of the forts. http://www.nps.gov/saju/index.htm

Morro guards the entrance to San Juan. The fort itself has some very steep steps and probably isn't the safest choice for young and exuberant children.

San Cristobol has some great exhibits and incredible views. Just watch the kids around the cannon embrasures. They are very tempting. Most people get a kick out of standing in one of the guard posts.

The walk outside the southern wall towards Morro and through the old gate is interesting. Not sure how much appeal that would have for pre-teen boys. But it's daunting to imagine anyone attacking the city through the fortifications.

Edited by broberts

• 2 weeks later...

There's a new restaurant that has a cute swimming pool that diners can use and the pool even has some water toys. The restaurant opens at 8 for breakfast, and has very reasonable prices.

Check Blue Lagoon at Calle Cruz #255, 787.944.7070 not too far from Plaza Armas. Definitely a great place for kids!