Mykonos- best transportation choice for a day at the beach?

Photojunkie_I_am

We would like to spend a day at one of the great beaches on Mykonos.

I would like to avoid paying for the ship's transfer which are just over $100 for the 4 of us.

How are the buses? Or should I stick to a taxi?

Thanks,

Sharon

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were in Mykonos last August. We took the bus to Paradise beach. Buses are reliable and cheap. The only down part is that the buses are not very big and get full immediately but other than that everything is fine. Walk up to the windmills and keep walking on your left hand side and you'll get next to the bus depot. When we were there it was very windy but the water in Paradise Beach were calm

We would like to spend a day at one of the great beaches on Mykonos.

I would like to avoid paying for the ship's transfer which are just over $100 for the 4 of us.

How are the buses? Or should I stick to a taxi?

Thanks,

Sharon

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Sharon

This shows the beach Three Hills mentioned - it sounds like he/she/they did exactly what we did. It's very much a youngsters beach but we had fun there.

[YOUTUBE]8pjBK5wGSH4[/YOUTUBE]

From memory the bus cost about €2 each way and took about 15 minutes. I can't remember how far it was from the tender area but it was very close (< half a mile ?) All the best, Tony

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Mykonos last Friday June 13.

We went to Ornos beach, which is about 3 miles south of Chora (Mykonos) town.

During our cruise, other couples were also planning a beach day so:

-going to beach, we shared a cab with another couple, we went to Ornos, they continued on to paradise, total cost 12 Euro.

-on return, we had pre-arranged to share return with another couple, who had arrived at Ornos a little later in the day then we did. Cost of taxi 10 Euro.

Can recommend Ornos beach as we were there. Beautiful calm clear water.

We rented sun beds + umbellla for 10 Euro. Also had lunch in one of the beachfront restaurants, cost about 30 Euro with drinks.

Ornos is a family beach, if you're looking for action, perhaps Paradise Beach should be your choice, the couple who went there said it was a real party atmosphere.

We've been to Mykonos before and a beach day sounds great. It will be Sept 17 so we'll see how the temp feels.

We're in port from 7am to 2pm. I don't remember when the busses start running or the schedule frequency. Has anyone done the beach by bus for an early half-day? If so, which beach would be best on a tighter schedule?

• 3 months later...
We've been to Mykonos before and a beach day sounds great. It will be Sept 17 so we'll see how the temp feels.

We're in port from 7am to 2pm. I don't remember when the busses start running or the schedule frequency. Has anyone done the beach by bus for an early half-day? If so, which beach would be best on a tighter schedule?

We just returned from the 12-day Regal Princess cruise and docked at the 'new' pier. Regarding the closest beach, when exiting the ship you walk left (not right towards town) to Stephanos Beach in 15 minutes. 10 euros for two loungers and an umbrella and the beach was perfect for us. Two restaurants there and free wifi worked great! Sand was nice, water was warm and calm and no big drop off. Result... happiness!

• 1 month later...

We did the beach in Mykonos in 2010 and we took the bus. When you get off the ship we had to take a shuttle to the main area. Then we wandered through the streets until we found the bus station. It was about 2 euro. Fun, easy, efficient way to travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were there a few years ago and rented a jeep from Kosmos Rent A Car. There were 4 of us and was fabulous. We drove all over the island and were able to follow the map they gave us easily. We visited several beaches and had a fabulous lunch at a restaurant with one of the best seating and views I've ever had. It was Ftelia Beach.

Here are a few photos from our day.

P6300443.JPG

P6300396.JPG

P6300417.JPG

I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what you choose.

Connie

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=Thanksgiving Cruise&date=11-23-2014&text=&ship=Carnival Pride

PAST CRUISES:

Discovery Sun 2003 Freeport Bahamas Day Cruise

Celebrity Solstice 6/26/09 Eastern Mediterranean

Carnival Conquest 08/10/10 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Victory 06/10/12 Southern Caribbean http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1659913

Carnival Miracle 07/30/13 Alaska http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39476968#post39476968

Diamond Princess 12/23/13 New Zealand/Australia http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2112413

20983-profile.png

Hi. The problem with taxis is there are only something like 28 taxis in the whole island. Ive been there several times. On one occasion we waited over an hour for a taxi and eventually gave up. Last time we took the (Celebrity) ship's coach transfer to Elia beach which was lovely, with comfortable loungers, umbrellas and even a button to press if you wanted to order food or drink!

• 1 month later...

We visited Mykonos once again this Summer. This time there were public buses waiting by the ship to take you either to Paradise Beach or to Mykonos town. We took the bus to the beach. On the way back the bus stops in town, but there was also a public bus service to the pier (ship). The schedule was posted in the bus terminus and by the ticket booth. It was not that frequent if I'm not mistaken every 2 hours. There was also a ferry transferring passengers from port to Mykonos town for Euro 2.

Edited by Three hills

iF we do Celebrity's excursion to Ornos Beach-how long will we stay there and will we have time after to stroll through Chora? Thanks

Not sure about other beaches but as I recall we had about three hours at our beach. You dont necessarily need a huge amount of time to wander around Chora. Its very easy to get lost but never for long!

• 3 weeks later...

tyskie,

It will be hot, Mykonos Town takes only a few hours to explore and that includes a refreshment break. There are lots of photo opportunities.

If time is tight I would recommend going to the beach first, when we were there last the bus Station was after the three windmills which are at the far end of the town. It was the end of August and so hot we returned to the ship after exploring the town.

Two years ago they were just building a pier by the town but had finished the bus/carpark.

Any one know the numbers of the buses to each beach? Or are they simply labelled with the name of the beach. We are there in August until midnight and would like to spend sometime on a beach with good beds and umbrellas.

Thank you

tyskie,

It will be hot, Mykonos Town takes only a few hours to explore and that includes a refreshment break. There are lots of photo opportunities.

If time is tight I would recommend going to the beach first, when we were there last the bus Station was after the three windmills which are at the far end of the town. It was the end of August and so hot we returned to the ship after exploring the town.

Two years ago they were just building a pier by the town but had finished the bus/carpark.

Any one know the numbers of the buses to each beach? Or are they simply labelled with the name of the beach. We are there in August until midnight and would like to spend sometime on a beach with good beds and umbrellas.

Thank you

Thank you, yes we're doing the beach first then town. Hoping they'll have a place to rinse off. Will wear a nice beach dress to go from beach to town :D

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app