Carnival's BEST cruise??

chill6x6

Grenada is just too far South again when home-porting out of P.Rico.

You have to consider transit time and Carnival's fuel expense

while trying to keep costs low for you and me.

Dominica could happen again (maybe) since they used to stop there anyway

but Grenada is very doubtful. Too far.

And... not enough days in a week!

Now if Carnival home-ported a ship out of Barbados

they could do St.Vincent, Grenada, Tobago, Isla Margarita, the Dutch ABC islands

and call it a Spanish Main cruise

but Barbados is not a U.S. territory like P.Rico is

and I reckon that has a lot to do with home-porting.

I know it isn't Carnival, but Celebrity manages to go to Grenada and Dominica every other week on the Summit out of San Juan. It doesn't go to Barbados on that itinerary, so you personally can't get on as easily, since you live in Barbados. But it is still possible to get to Grenada from San Juan. I wish Carnival would do the same thing and alternate 2 different itineraries so you could do a b2b and see a lot of islands.

I've done Grenada out of San Juan. In fact, I did it on Carnival aboard the Tropicale when she used to be home ported in San Juan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just did Grenada from San Juan aboard the Jewel of the Seas last week so no…NOT too far from San Juan.

I am not sure what Carnival's best cruise is; it would be different for each individual, depending on their likes and expectations in a cruise.

For me; my best Carnival cruise was not because of where I sailed to, but because of who I sailed with, and that was my Mom, and it was on the Liberty five years ago. We both loved it, we both loved the ship, and the one time that a ship's décor actually affected me. I loved the Liberty wrought iron work around the atrium and promenade. We did start off our traditional early dining a little awkward because of two other ladies who made no bones about it that they found us "Boring"!!!!, but after they deserted us (second evening), our dining room waiters doted on us and treated us like royalty. I also remember watching a first movie under the stars, a comedy and we both laughed till our sides hurt. We also spent a wonderful day in Cozumel, and even in Ocho Rios, as well as Grand Cayman. It was not so much about the ports but the time we spent together.

Sadly it was the last time we could travel together, because since then, my father cannot be left alone, so the memories of that wonderful cruise are still with both of us. I have cruised since then twice solo, and while both excellent cruises, my best will always be that one 7 day cruise with my Mom on the Liberty.

Best cruise itinerary though was four years ago on the Freedom, an 8 day to Cozumel, Limon Costa Rica, and Colon Panama. Lots of sea days but super interesting ports of Costa Rica and Panama. Next best was my recent cruise on the Freedom, 8 day, to St Martin, Antigua, San Juan and Nassau. I fell in love with San Juan, and after my 2015 cruise, will be doing one from San Juan for 2016, God willing.

Edited by SMSACE6

We did the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan on the Victory back in 2012. Loved the ship and crew and the ports. We only had one sea day though, but loved every minute.

We plan to do this one again without the kids next time.

(review in signature)

Connie

PAST CRUISES:

Discovery Sun 2003 Freeport Bahamas Day Cruise

Celebrity Solstice 6/26/09 Eastern Mediterranean

Carnival Conquest 08/10/10 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Victory 06/10/12 Southern Caribbean http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1659913

Carnival Miracle 07/30/13 Alaska http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39476968#post39476968

Diamond Princess 12/23/13 New Zealand/Australia http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2112413

Carnival Pride 11/23/14 Exotic Western Caribbean (review in process) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2135404

20983-profile.png

I also agree with southern Caribbean -Carnival Valor. Beautiful and diverse islands! If only they would add Dominica and Grenada it would be perfect!!

Agree with you....doing the Valor out of SJ again this Jan....the itineraries do vary from week to week....we are doing the Southern route that has Grenada, Martinique, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, St Thomas. Can't be much better!

The OP asked about 8 day and less "best CCL cruises"....however, CCL just came out with longer cruises which will include: Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, Grenada, Martinique, Trinidad and Tobagos among other wonderful ports....lots of which are new for CCL. They are very exciting to us!!

Edited by buddylover

So…. If someone were to ask you to recommend CCL's BEST cruise(8 days or less) what would your response be? When I say "best" I mean as in best combination of ship, itinerary, crew, amenities, port of embarkation, and ports of call.

What do you think Carnival's BEST cruise is?

Impossible to answer this definitively.

I'd say Alaska if I were on the west coast (hate flying), not too many sea days and spectacular scenery. I'm not a beach person, but I do love to snorkel and swim, so clear water locales like St. Thomas and Grand Cayman are also nice. Those are two different trips, though.

Hawaii was spectacular, but not sure a cruise allows sufficient time for either Alaska or Hawaii. They are great teasers to make us want to do a long land tour.

If I had to narrow it down for us based on living in the SE U.S., I would probably pick the Lauderdale port on the Freedom trip to CR and Panama- not a transit, though. Also a teaser cruise! Loved zip lining in CR and seeing the canal at Gatun Lock. I heard they don't go there right now, though- have no idea. That was a special trip, also.

ITA with another poster about family being part of your favorite trip- mine was to DR, GT, Aruba and Curacao with my parents on the Freedom in a balcony suite midship or the Fascination trip for their 55th to Nassau and LSC.

See, I told you I couldn't answer this!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So…. If someone were to ask you to recommend CCL's BEST cruise(8 days or less) what would your response be? When I say "best" I mean as in best combination of ship, itinerary, crew, amenities, port of embarkation, and ports of call.

What do you think Carnival's BEST cruise is?

Someone earlier stated "The one I'm on". I would agree with that but what if you could arrange your cruise. As much as I like the smaller older ships, I would probably pick a Conquest class ship but then we have not cruised the Dream or Splendor class. It would have to have a Guy's burger joint and fish and chips. It would be hard to pick a crew because we have had some very good crew members. We would be between two maître d, the one now on Fascination and Joseph "your super charged maître d". Head waiter would be Ioan Koesis and waiter Marian Mihalcea, now on Ecstasy. It's hard to remember them all by name but we often mention different crew members that we would like to sail with. We keep in touch with some of them and try to sail with them again. We also have some of the entertainers we enjoyed that we would enjoy sailing with and it would be hard to pick a cruise director because we have had some good ones. We would probably go for the southern itinerary of the ones we have been on. The best embarkation would be Jacksonville. It is easiest in and out of any we have used. That about does it for my cruise.