Charleston to Cape Liberty(ish)

sddsddean

I hope one or two of you can help us out with a bit of planning. Strictly speaking, its not all a cruise, but some of it is, so hopefully the Mods will let the post stay!

I must stress this is for August/Sept 2017, so over a year of planning to go(!) and can't book any flights or hotels yet, though the Anthem cruise is booked.

The plan is for us to fly in to Atlanta about Friday 18th August, stay at one of the hotels mid way along the SkyTrain to the rental centre, then pick up a car Saturday morning. Drive to Charleston (probably..any other ideas?), sightsee Sunday, watch the total solar eclipse Monday (highlight of the trip...we hope!),do 'Yorktown' and Ft Sumpter Tuesday. Now this is where it gets sticky. Anthem leaves Cape Liberty on Thurs 31st Aug, so want to be at a hotel in the area (EWR or CL?) to drop the car by 30th night. This means we have Wednesday morning leaving Charleston to next Wednesday afternoon arriving Cape Libertyish to fill. I'd like to have 2 nights at Gettysburg (as we can do a Segway tour round it) and possibly 2 nights in Philly, but can't decide how to do the 700 miles from Charleston to Gettysburg. Rather than just driving for 'the hell of it', is there a route where we can stop and see things on the way or even where we can stay somewhere for a couple of days to sightsee and try to forego the 'living out of a suitcase' syndrome? Had thought of heading inland (Columbia, Charlotte etc) and driving along the Blue Ridge mountains. I suppose the other option is following the coast past Norfolk. We just don't know, so are calling on the assembled knowledge of the East Coasters! Any suggestions willing received.

Following the cruise, we get back to CL on Sat 9th Sept. Plan is to have 3 or 4 days in NY. We won't have a car (use public transport), so I assume we are best to stay on Manhattan Island rather than commute from NJ where hotels are a bit cheaper. Whats best way to get from CL to NY? I seem to remember cabs can't cross the river or something. We've used Black Executive cars before...are they still a fair bet?

Any suggestions for hotels welcomed...don't know if we are flying home from JFK or EWR yet, so is there anywhere near 33rd St so we can use the LIRR or PATH respectively? (I think they both go from around there...I stand to be corrected!!)

Looking forward to any suggestions...please be creative!!

Simon

I hope one or two of you can help us out with a bit of planning. Strictly speaking, its not all a cruise, but some of it is, so hopefully the Mods will let the post stay!

I must stress this is for August/Sept 2017, so over a year of planning to go(!) and can't book any flights or hotels yet, though the Anthem cruise is booked.

The plan is for us to fly in to Atlanta about Friday 18th August, stay at one of the hotels mid way along the SkyTrain to the rental centre, then pick up a car Saturday morning. Drive to Charleston (probably..any other ideas?), sightsee Sunday, watch the total solar eclipse Monday (highlight of the trip...we hope!),do 'Yorktown' and Ft Sumpter Tuesday. Now this is where it gets sticky. Anthem leaves Cape Liberty on Thurs 31st Aug, so want to be at a hotel in the area (EWR or CL?) to drop the car by 30th night. This means we have Wednesday morning leaving Charleston to next Wednesday afternoon arriving Cape Libertyish to fill. I'd like to have 2 nights at Gettysburg (as we can do a Segway tour round it) and possibly 2 nights in Philly, but can't decide how to do the 700 miles from Charleston to Gettysburg. Rather than just driving for 'the hell of it', is there a route where we can stop and see things on the way or even where we can stay somewhere for a couple of days to sightsee and try to forego the 'living out of a suitcase' syndrome? Had thought of heading inland (Columbia, Charlotte etc) and driving along the Blue Ridge mountains. I suppose the other option is following the coast past Norfolk. We just don't know, so are calling on the assembled knowledge of the East Coasters! Any suggestions willing received.

Following the cruise, we get back to CL on Sat 9th Sept. Plan is to have 3 or 4 days in NY. We won't have a car (use public transport), so I assume we are best to stay on Manhattan Island rather than commute from NJ where hotels are a bit cheaper. Whats best way to get from CL to NY? I seem to remember cabs can't cross the river or something. We've used Black Executive cars before...are they still a fair bet?

Any suggestions for hotels welcomed...don't know if we are flying home from JFK or EWR yet, so is there anywhere near 33rd St so we can use the LIRR or PATH respectively? (I think they both go from around there...I stand to be corrected!!)

Simon

Personally, I'd travel the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's going to be slower than the interstate, but much more scenic. You sound like a history buff, so the Parkway has a lot going for it there. Plenty of places to stop for the night along the way. Maybe swing east after the Parkway and see the battlefields of northern Virginia. I would also visit the Antietam battlefield in Maryland, very similar to Gettysburg.

If you decide to drive, I second the Blue Ridge Parkway. Slow, but gorgeous! Passes through or near some neat towns, too!

I do not live in Charleston, but visit ridiculously frequently, so here's my 2 cents on a small part of your trip. I haven't hit NYC in years, so I'm useless on that part. Sorry!

If you don't want to drive, Atlanta and Charleston and New York are all Amtrak cities, so you can do trains, if you wish. But, to get around in Charleston, you'll want a car.

A suggestion for hotel in Charleston is The Town and Country Inn. It's right on an interstate, near several great places to eat, grocery stores, etc. It's not right in downtown, but easy to get there. Also, easy to hit highways to get to the other islands.

Fun stuff to do in Charleston that you might not know about:Firefly Vodka distillery and Charleston Tea Plantation, both about a 30 minute drive from Charleston out into less populated areas. Gorgeous drive and neat places.

Hope this helps a tiny bit!

Now this is where it gets sticky. Anthem leaves Cape Liberty on Thurs 31st Aug, so want to be at a hotel in the area (EWR or CL?) to drop the car by 30th night.

Simon

1). Car should probably be rented for a return at EWR. There are no hotels at Cape Liberty. The hotel you book should have a laundry since there are no nearby laundromats available.

2). You will be in NYC for Fashion Week, which makes hotels even more expensive and less available. What is your hotel budget? Advance reservations are absolutely necessary for your dates

3). If you feel you can use the LIRR to go to JFK or NJ Transit train (not PATH) to go to EWR, then you can probably take the NJ Transit Hudson-Bergen light rail and PATH from Cape Liberty to NYC after the cruise. These are very accessible (I have done it several times) and will cost about $20-25 instead of $100ish for two people.

Thanks for the suggestions. Had a look at the Parkway website and that definately looks the sort of thing we'd like. This is not supposed to be a stupid question, but would we have to book hotel/motel in advance or, bearing in mind its holiday season, can you just turn up 'like they do in the movies'!? My wife likes the idea of the vodka distillery and we both would be interested in the tea plantation. Any other thoughts, please feel free to let us know.

Carol - thanks for the info. Might have known we would try and see NYC whilst something is on (Went to Disneyworld once in November...didn't even dawn on us it would be Thanksgiving weekend. To quote Bob Newhart "Thats an American holiday, right?"). I thought we would end up at EWR to drop the car. Do many of the 'airport' hotels have shuttles to CL for the cruise? I'm assuming most have shuttles to the car rental centre. Not really sure on budget. I had a quick look at Holiday Inn's in NYC to get an idea (at this years prices) and it looks like weekends are around $260/night and up to $450/night mid week. I wouldn't want to spend much more than that, but any suggestions for a good hotel (preferably with breakfast) would be good...especially if you can get it a bit cheaper than above.

Thanks again for the help so far...keep it coming.

Simon

Thanks for the suggestions. Had a look at the Parkway website and that definately looks the sort of thing we'd like. This is not supposed to be a stupid question, but would we have to book hotel/motel in advance or, bearing in mind its holiday season, can you just turn up 'like they do in the movies'!? My wife likes the idea of the vodka distillery and we both would be interested in the tea plantation. Any other thoughts, please feel free to let us know.

Carol - thanks for the info. Might have known we would try and see NYC whilst something is on (Went to Disneyworld once in November...didn't even dawn on us it would be Thanksgiving weekend. To quote Bob Newhart "Thats an American holiday, right?"). I thought we would end up at EWR to drop the car. Do many of the 'airport' hotels have shuttles to CL for the cruise? I'm assuming most have shuttles to the car rental centre. Not really sure on budget. I had a quick look at Holiday Inn's in NYC to get an idea (at this years prices) and it looks like weekends are around $260/night and up to $450/night mid week. I wouldn't want to spend much more than that, but any suggestions for a good hotel (preferably with breakfast) would be good...especially if you can get it a bit cheaper than above.

Thanks again for the help so far...keep it coming.

Simon

Very few hotels have a shuttle to the port. You want to look at Country Inns because you can buy a one way transfer for $17.50/pp from them, which is the best price around. Regardless of whether you have booked directly or indirectly at CI, you can buy the transfer.

From the rental cars you take Airtrain to the P4 station to get the hotel shuttles. https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

In NYC look at La Quinta on W 32nd St between 5th & 6th Aves. Free breakfast. Close to Penn Dpstation, PATH, Macy's, and the Empire State. One of our regular posters likes this hotel and has stayed there often.

I live in Charleston and my first thought is, why drive ATL to CHS? It may well be no more expensive to fly to CHS than to ATL, though you'll connect in ATL anyway. It's about 37 min in the air, so won't add that much travel time to your trip

But, to get around in Charleston, you'll want a car.

Fun stuff to do in Charleston that you might not know about:Firefly Vodka distillery and Charleston Tea Plantation, both about a 30 minute drive from Charleston out into less populated areas. Gorgeous drive and neat places.

My second thought is that depending on where you stay in Charleston and what you want to do here, you don't necessarily need a car at all. If you stay downtown and focus your activities on the historic district, Ft. Sumter (not Sumpter ;)) etc. you can easily go without a car. Even if you stay nearby in Mt. Pleasant (right across the Cooper river from downtown) or West Ashley (right across the Ashley River from downtown, in the other direction) it's easy to Uber back and forth, and once you're downtown in the heart of the historic district you can get around on foot easily. If you are downtown you have beautiful walking tours, great restaurants, museums, Waterfront Park, the Aquarium, the ferry to Ft. Sumter, strolling along the Battery etc. If your plans include doing more things away from downtown (plantation tours, the beach, visiting the Hunley etc.) a car may be more convenient after all.

As for getting to the NY area, going inland and driving the Blue Ridge Parkway is certainly a nice option, although you'll go through a whole lot of nothing to get there from Charleston, LOL. The middle of South Carolina isn't very scenic, to say the least. An alternative would be to take I-95 (not scenic, obviously, but faster driving) and do the history tour throughout Virginia.... colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Monticello, and of course Washington DC. From there you can head to Gettysburg and then on to NY.

Thanks for the info Carol. Country Inns looks like a possible (just checked the room rate!) and La Quinta looks good too...definately the sort of hotel we would go for.

Meg - I know what you're saying about the flight to CHS, but we will fly into ATL on British Airways about 8pm your time (so after midnight for us!) and the thought of going through all the airport security again next morning is galling! We are both used to driving (both my wife and I are professional truck drivers), so the drive holds no worries. I realise we might not make full use of the car in Charleston, but I would like to see the Hunley (being a Clive Cussler fan) and interested in Industrial Archaelogy. We like Embassy Suites, so were toying with the idea of staying at the one next to Marion Sq. The Blue Ridge Parkway is calling to me more and more! I've looked on Google Earth for some places to watch the eclipse from that are right under the central path. Most of these are to the NW of Charleston, so I'm toying with the idea of heading for Greenville or Charlotte for the night then dropping on to the the Parkway next day. We've been to DC a couple of times, so not worried about going again. Just thought...stupid question from a Limey!...although we have driven a fair bit in the states, we've never crossed state borders. Do we have to do anything, or do you just drive past the 'Welcome to..' sign?

Thanks

Simon

Thanks for the info Carol. Country Inns looks like a possible (just checked the room rate!) and La Quinta looks good too...definately the sort of hotel we would go for.

Meg - I know what you're saying about the flight to CHS, but we will fly into ATL on British Airways about 8pm your time (so after midnight for us!) and the thought of going through all the airport security again next morning is galling! We are both used to driving (both my wife and I are professional truck drivers), so the drive holds no worries. I realise we might not make full use of the car in Charleston, but I would like to see the Hunley (being a Clive Cussler fan) and interested in Industrial Archaelogy. We like Embassy Suites, so were toying with the idea of staying at the one next to Marion Sq. The Blue Ridge Parkway is calling to me more and more! I've looked on Google Earth for some places to watch the eclipse from that are right under the central path. Most of these are to the NW of Charleston, so I'm toying with the idea of heading for Greenville or Charlotte for the night then dropping on to the the Parkway next day. We've been to DC a couple of times, so not worried about going again. Just thought...stupid question from a Limey!...although we have driven a fair bit in the states, we've never crossed state borders. Do we have to do anything, or do you just drive past the 'Welcome to..' sign?

Thanks

Simon

Nothing to do at borders but watch for the different color of state trooper cars. Just like England to Scotland (though I know the Scots would love to have a border checkpoint :D).

I was in shipyard for 3 months right next to the Hunley, and never got in to see it. Did see the replica they have outside, though.

What a great trip you have planned!!

So, we live in SC and have lived in NC and NJ also so we are familiar with the route north. We've also spent a lot of time in Charleston.

I would recommend the French Quarter Inn in Charleston. It's a very friendly hotel and has valet parking so you can park and enjoy the city. They can help you get to see any sights you are interesting. I've enjoyed Ft. Sumpter. Don't miss the horse and buggy ride through the historic district. We use the Old South Company. So many wonderful restaurants with fabulous food.

Going north I would stay on 26 to 77 through Charlotte. Many nice hotels in Charlotte if you want to overnight there and see Charlotte. Then continue north to 81 into Virginia and into the mountains. Beautiful drive up there. Then you can wind your way to Gettysburg also. Then head to Philly and up to Elizabeth.

We always stay at the Country Inn and Suites. They provide transportation to and from the port and are very reliable.

Thanks

Simon

Whatever you do, be sure to book a cancellable NYC hotel when they open for reservations. You can always rearrange later if a better deal comes up.

If you are interested in the public transit details, post back later when you have finalized your plans. The light rail and PATH are accessible with luggage.

Light rail -

How to buy a ticket and validate it - fare is now $2.25

PATH -

Nothing to do at borders but watch for the different color of state trooper cars. Just like England to Scotland (though I know the Scots would love to have a border checkpoint :D).

I was in shipyard for 3 months right next to the Hunley, and never got in to see it. Did see the replica they have outside, though.

Hopefully I'll be driving legally...for a change:D.

So if you didn't get to see it in 3 months, I don't suppose we have a lot of hope in 2 days!

What a great trip you have planned!!

So, we live in SC and have lived in NC and NJ also so we are familiar with the route north. We've also spent a lot of time in Charleston.

I would recommend the French Quarter Inn in Charleston. It's a very friendly hotel and has valet parking so you can park and enjoy the city. They can help you get to see any sights you are interesting. I've enjoyed Ft. Sumpter. Don't miss the horse and buggy ride through the historic district. We use the Old South Company. So many wonderful restaurants with fabulous food.

Going north I would stay on 26 to 77 through Charlotte. Many nice hotels in Charlotte if you want to overnight there and see Charlotte. Then continue north to 81 into Virginia and into the mountains. Beautiful drive up there. Then you can wind your way to Gettysburg also. Then head to Philly and up to Elizabeth.

We always stay at the Country Inn and Suites. They provide transportation to and from the port and are very reliable.

I'll follow those recommendations up...thanks. Looks like the CI at EWR gets another vote. Always nice to know.

Thanks both.

Simon

Hopefully I'll be driving legally...for a change:D.

So if you didn't get to see it in 3 months, I don't suppose we have a lot of hope in 2 days!

I'll follow those recommendations up...thanks. Looks like the CI at EWR gets another vote. Always nice to know.

Thanks both.

Simon

It wasn't that it wasn't open, though they were doing some restoration work for part of the time, just couldn't get my work schedule to line up with their hours.

It wasn't that it wasn't open, though they were doing some restoration work for part of the time, just couldn't get my work schedule to line up with their hours.

Ahh, I understand now. I won't give up all hope then!

Simon

Hi Simon,

You'll enjoy Charleston. It's only a five hour drive from Atlanta. You can take interstate 20 to Columbia, SC and I-26 east to Charleston. (TSA checkpoints at major airports are taking about 3 hours right now)

Staying downtown Charleston, you'll pay for parking at most hotels. The Town & Country Inn in West Ashley as mentioned, has free parking if that matters to you. It's not a chain but a recently remodeled good independent property.

You may want to check out the King Charles Inn located on Meeting Street in downtown. It's only a couple of blocks from the Market area and tons of restaurants. They have free parking.

I can give you lots of touristy info for Charleston since I had a company in that arena for 14 years. You may want to check out the Charleston Convention & Visitors Bureau web site. They have coupons and tons of good information. If you visit the Myrtle Beach Chamber website, you'll find a coupon for $5 off each adult at Patriots Point which you mentioned.

You can also take the Fort Sumter tours boat from Patriots Point.

You can take the Charleston Water Taxi from Downtown Charleston across the harbor to Patriots Point. Patriots Point charges $5 to park your vehicle. The water taxi cost is $10/pp all day. The CARTA DASH trolley system is free to ride around downtown.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to give you my opinions if you contact me using my handle at outlook dot com.

If you're interested in visiting Monticello in Charlottesville VA, the home of Thomas Jefferson, a good route via the Blue Ridge Parkway would be to take I-26 from Charleston to Asheville, NC (about five hours drive) where they have the Biltmore House.

I hope this gives you some ideas that will make your visit most enjoyable.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Thanks Steve. I'll just take time out to go through all that info before I come back to you with more questions and comments. First thing that struck me; I was going to take I-20 to Augusta and come down 78 to Charleston to 'cut the corner'. Is the interstate route quicker/better than doing this?

Thanks

Simon

Thanks Steve. I'll just take time out to go through all that info before I come back to you with more questions and comments. First thing that struck me; I was going to take I-20 to Augusta and come down 78 to Charleston to 'cut the corner'. Is the interstate route quicker/better than doing this?

Thanks

Simon

Interstate is very boring. You could do that but 78 is two lane road with small towns. So if you're not in a hurry and want to see rural SC, that would work. Or look at google maps for I-20 to I-520 around Augusta then Hwy 125 to Allendale where you pick up Hwy 641 & 64 to Walterboro. Then in Jacksonboro pick up US 17 to Charleston. That route is more direct than 78.

The speed limit on the interstate in SC is 70mph. You could go 80 and have vehicles pass you.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Thanks

Simon

Take the interstate! I've driven I-26 between Charleston and Columbia more times than I care to count and as Steve said, it's BORING. But it's also efficient. Get behind a slow truck on a back road in SC and you're done. Not to mention the speed traps in and near the little towns and crossroads you'd have to go through on the back roads.

Take the interstate! I've driven I-26 between Charleston and Columbia more times than I care to count and as Steve said, it's BORING. But it's also efficient. Get behind a slow truck on a back road in SC and you're done. Not to mention the speed traps in and near the little towns and crossroads you'd have to go through on the back roads.

I agree with what you said, but he's more likely to get behind a slow farmer than a semi on the back roads. It really depends upon whether sddsddean is more interested in speed or seeing the back roads of SC.

• 3 weeks later...

Been doing lots of thinking and have a few more questions.

This one is especially for the Charlestonites (or are you Charlestonians?:rolleyes:). We are thinking about renting an RV from Atlanta airport area and then using this for the whole road trip up to Newark. We'd still like to 'do' Charleston, but is there anywhere we can park a 30' RV without being on the outskirts with no public transport to get us in and out?

Still heading for the Blue Ridge Parkway...I assume RV's are allowed on it (as trucks aren't). Any recommendations for RV parks on the route?

It seems any way I Google 'RV's in USA', although I might get different operators, they all seem to use Cruise America for rentals. Whilst the promo videos are brilliant (as you'd expect), a few reviews have said the RV's can be a bit iffy (Dirty, doors not locking, not a lot of hot water etc). Anyone any experience or advice? Are there any other companies to look at?

Thanks for your help and forebearance!

Simon

Been doing lots of thinking and have a few more questions.

This one is especially for the Charlestonites (or are you Charlestonians?:rolleyes:). We are thinking about renting an RV from Atlanta airport area and then using this for the whole road trip up to Newark. We'd still like to 'do' Charleston, but is there anywhere we can park a 30' RV without being on the outskirts with no public transport to get us in and out?

Still heading for the Blue Ridge Parkway...I assume RV's are allowed on it (as trucks aren't). Any recommendations for RV parks on the route?

It seems any way I Google 'RV's in USA', although I might get different operators, they all seem to use Cruise America for rentals. Whilst the promo videos are brilliant (as you'd expect), a few reviews have said the RV's can be a bit iffy (Dirty, doors not locking, not a lot of hot water etc). Anyone any experience or advice? Are there any other companies to look at?

Thanks for your help and forebearance!

Simon

The city parking garage at the Charleston Visitors Center between Ann & Mary Streets has RV parking in the lower level. It's a one block walk to the CARTA Dash Free downtown trolley system. They have a maximum daily limit for long term parking. Check my May 18th post for the link to Carta.

The parking garage info is here. The Visitors Center is the second to last listing and it shows an RV icon.

In case you're interested there is a Hampton Inn on John Street (the other side of the Visitors Center. There's also another hotel up Meeting Street. It's a new Holiday Inn Historic District at Woolfe Street. Three blocks up from the parking garage.

If you're looking to stay at a Charleston area campground, check out the Charleston County Campground on James Island or Oak Plantation Campground on US 17 south of Charleston. You can stay there then drive to the garage for the day and back instead of a hotel. It's your call.

I can't help you regarding renting or traveling in an RV other than the parking and campgrounds I mentioned. Hopefully someone else can assist.

Oh and it's Charlestonian. :D

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Thanks for the info Steve. Had a quick look on Google Earth at the Visitor Centre. Do you know how you get into the RV park? The only bit that looks accessible is a long building which is apparently for buses.

Simon