South America cruise and Machu Picchu land tour

Suzez

Does anyone care to share the name of the tour group used for Machu Pichu? Thanks

We took this tour in January. The land tour company is Lima Tours. They did an excellent job. As someone mentioned, we were split up into four buses (full-size buses don't work in some towns), with four tour guides and two coordinators. All spoke excellent English. The days are not jam-packed, which was good. One reason is to help people acclimate. Altitude sickness strike people randomly--being a star athlete is no protection, and being out of shape doesn't seem to increase the chances. A few people felt ill the first day we were in Cusco, but we're better until we got back to Cusco. (We were on the six-day tour). One woman got so I'll that she was hospitalized and missed the day we were in Machu Picchu. In fact, she had to get Dr. Clearance to fly back to Lima, and then another doctor's clearance to fly home. Hotels in every town (except the first night in Lima at the hotel) were fabulous--resorts for the most part. Food was excellent. I really recommend this tour if you have the time and money.ImageUploadedByForums1427704346.857680.jpg.3602f4d79214f761301c0e3c0a909731.jpg

We have been able to go to MP three times. The first was with Princess, and the last two have been on our own. With Princess the first time, the hotels were good. We used Condor travel, and they were excellent.

We did pick our hotel including a nite at the hotel at the site, which goes

by a new name now. We also took the H B. train the last two times and it

was worth it. Our cost the last two times was about 40 per cent cheaper than Princess and we had a car, driver, and guide for the two of us.

As for the attitude sickness, check with your doctor, there are meds that can help. Also, we have used the native cure, the cocca tea, does help.

We took the la to rio in 2013. We loved it. We took the princess Machu Picchu tour. It did cost more but I can can tell you it was 5 star all the way. The Tambo del Inca is one of the nicest Hotels I have ever been in. The whole tour was a delight. We never take Princess tours because you can do it independently so much cheaper but have no regrets. It has a limit of 65 people and there are 4 buses and 4 tour guides and 2 coordinators with you at all times. The food was great and different every night. it is a very tiring tour filled with so much. At one point I skipped the afternoon of looking at the ruins (not MP) and they got me a cab and I spent the afternoon at the Tambo Del Inca in the 3td floor indoor -outdoor infinity pool. Best money you will ever spend.

We did the cruise a little differently. We sailed from La to Lima. We left the ship in Lima and the tour coordinator came to the port and drove us to the city. We met up with the others who flew from all over to take the tour. after the Macho Picchu tour ended, we reboarded the ship with the others and finished the cruise in Rio. It was cheaper to have a ocean view cabin to lima than to fly. We moved to a balcony for the second half of Santiago to Rio leg.

Going around the horn is really interesting crossing the equator is fun.

They say it can be rough but our cruise was smooth as glass. There is nothing as fun as being out on the promenade deck in your formal wear with a glacier behind you and snow gently falling.

Hope this helps

We also had the wonderful experience of sailing out of Buenos Aries on our balcony drinking champagne as our neighbors played "Don't cry for me Argentina"

I just got off the Golden and did the MP tour with Princess....my advice is go to MP, stay at the Marriott if you are in Cusco, but do not do this tour with Princess, especially in the middle of the voyage.....they did not keep to the posted on line schedule which would have been so much more relaxing.....they also did not keep this tour to the 65 person minimum....we had over 150 passengers participating....they sent one representative....the last time we saw him was when we left the ship for MP when we picked up our passports....never saw him again...the Sanctuary Buffet is NOT THE Sanctuary ...it is a cheaper restaurant with mediocre food....we spent 1-1/2 hours at this restaurant almost as much as the 2 hours at MP....the online site said 3 hours and 120 min. of free time.....there was no free time at all....the third day was a travel day back to Lima.....some passengers were very sick and I had sprained my leg and wanted to get back to my cabin to put ice on it.....when we arrived back in Lima and wanted to return to the ship....we were not allowed to do so....at the airport we were in close proximity of the port, but were taken by large buses to a restaurant 45 minutes across town that was not air-conditioned(this stop never appeared on any itinerary and we were only told of a lunch stop before we boarded the plane in Cusco)....the sick passengers were told they would have a long wait, while others ate they sat next to the bathroom.....again, I would tell you MP is amazing, but do this on your own, or with a small group tour at another time.....this was an expense excursion and definitely did not have the value or was what we had expected from Princess....yes, we did complain along with many of the other passenger to the Shorex Dept....we all received a very condescending, arrogant form letter.....this weekend we will be writing Corp. but don't expect that we will get anywhere.....after all they sell the excursion out every trip.

we used Peru Tourism. They contracted out with Condor Travel. Excellent guides, drivers, vehicles. Wonderful hotels, best trains, We chose to stay in Sacred Valley so as to be lower than Cusco. Left the Golden in Lima and were taken back to the ship 3 days later. We had only two of us on the tour - always had someone waiting to pick us up and take us to he next train, bus or taxi. All inclusive. Price was just right but they treated us royally. Found their name on the Roll Call for the Golden in November. highly recommended!

We decided against the Machu Pichu land tour when last winter when we were on the Pacific Princess. Too pricey for just Four days. We are doing a 5 day Peruvian Amazon tour followed by a 7 day highlights of Peru that includes Machu Pichu and Cusco for about the same price as the Princess tour.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Carnival 24 cruise days

Princess 79 cruise days, plus 142 cruise days scheduled

Norwegian 7 cruise days scheduled

Celebrity 15 cruise days scheduled

This is an update to the land tour that we did with Trafalgar inbetween the Century Infinity cruise and the Golden cruise from Santiago to LA.

The Peruvian Amazon tour was excellent. We had one english speaking tour guide for just the two of us plus 3 med students for the 5 days. Guide was very knowledgable and the rustic lodge we stayed in was nice.

The Highlights of Peru tour was 7 days. We spent 1 night in Lima, 1 night in the sacred valley, 2 nights in Machu Fichu, 2 nights in Cusco, and then the last night in Lima. We had one guide for 32 people who was with us all the tour. There was a second guide with us in Cusco. Both guides were incredibly knowledgeable and and available to us 24/7. We had plenty of free time for cruising the markets and shops.

We were both very pleased with the Trafalgar tour. The cost was very close to what Princess charged for their very short tour.

We just got off the Golden Princess on Tuesday. We did the 6 night MP land tour and then the cruise from Valparaiso to LA. I can only estimate the cost of the land tour because I never did the calculations separating the tour from the cruise. It was somewhere in the $2,500 to $3,000 pp range. This was an all inclusive tour which was absolutely amazing.

We were on the land tour the second week in March. It was supposed to be the rainy season but we were very lucky as we had beautiful weather the whole time. I had planned for colder temps but we were dressed too warmly a good part of the time. The weather was unusual from what I understand. I had heard that it poured in MP in the days after we left.

As far as the amount of traveling between locations - we were never in a bus for more than an hour and a half. Activities were paced very well through out the day. We saw so much more than MP.

I am very happy that I did the 6 day pre-cruise tour instead of the 3 day tour. I spoke to some people who did the shorter tour and it seemed to me and others who did the 6 day that the three day was just too compact. There was a huge amount of travelling just to do 3 hours at MP. MP is strenuous enough even without doing all that travelling, I can't imagine doing it with all that travelling.

We did not go around the horn on this sailing. We did do it one other time and the seas were fine around the horn. Once we got into the Chilean Fjords though - all bets were off. I was walking around the ship with my walking stick so I would not topple over.

The seas were very smooth on the sailing we just completed. We were also very lucky because we got to see marine life just about every day. Actually, I can't remember being on another cruise where we saw that much marine life.

Whatever you decide to do - ENJOY!! MP is truly one of those exceptional places on earth.

• 4 weeks later...
We just got off the Golden Princess on Tuesday. We did the 6 night MP land tour and then the cruise from Valparaiso to LA. I can only estimate the cost of the land tour because I never did the calculations separating the tour from the cruise. It was somewhere in the $2,500 to $3,000 pp range. This was an all inclusive tour which was absolutely amazing.

We were on the land tour the second week in March. It was supposed to be the rainy season but we were very lucky as we had beautiful weather the whole time. I had planned for colder temps but we were dressed too warmly a good part of the time. The weather was unusual from what I understand. I had heard that it poured in MP in the days after we left.

As far as the amount of traveling between locations - we were never in a bus for more than an hour and a half. Activities were paced very well through out the day. We saw so much more than MP.

I am very happy that I did the 6 day pre-cruise tour instead of the 3 day tour. I spoke to some people who did the shorter tour and it seemed to me and others who did the 6 day that the three day was just too compact. There was a huge amount of travelling just to do 3 hours at MP. MP is strenuous enough even without doing all that travelling, I can't imagine doing it with all that travelling.

We did not go around the horn on this sailing. We did do it one other time and the seas were fine around the horn. Once we got into the Chilean Fjords though - all bets were off. I was walking around the ship with my walking stick so I would not topple over.

The seas were very smooth on the sailing we just completed. We were also very lucky because we got to see marine life just about every day. Actually, I can't remember being on another cruise where we saw that much marine life.

Whatever you decide to do - ENJOY!! MP is truly one of those exceptional places on earth.

Thanks for this, most helpful. We are most likely to do the longer 6 day tour. The traveling doesn't sound too bad. I would rather it be spread out and see more on land than be rushed. How did you find the accommodation on the tour you did? One would assume the hotel quality to be good.

Edited by Suzez

Thanks for this, most helpful. We are most likely to do the longer 6 day tour. The traveling doesn't sound too bad. I would rather it be spread out and see more on land than be rushed. How did you find the accommodation on the tour you did? One would assume the hotel quality to be good.
For the most part we had very nice hotels, quite nice actually. I can't really speak about the hotel in Lima be cause we got there after midnight and left very early in the morning. It did seem nice though and from what our friends said, it was in a nice location. The hotel in the Sacred Valley was the best. We stayed there 2 nights. The room was one of the best rooms we have ever stayed in. Everyone loved that hotel. The hotel at Machu Picchu was not that good. It was probably one of the best hotels in town but compared to the other hotels we were in it was not very good. If you were on one side you had the train about 30 feet from your window. If you were on the other side you had the river which was very loud. The rooms were small and didn't even have a desk. The hotel in Cusco was very nice but dark. Part of it was built on old ruins. It didn't matter though because by tie we got there I was so exhausted I could barely move. We had another very nice hotel in Santiago.

The travelling on this trip was not bad at all. We were never in a bus for more than an hour and a half and I think that was just once going back to Cusco after Machu Picchu. All other times it was an hour or less. We didn't mind any of it because the scenery was just stunning.

We took an independent tour to Machu Picchu so can't comment of the ship's tour, but I can say that it is not to be missed! It is one of the most fantastic places we have ever visited. Our tour included a special tea to fight off altitude sickness - which kind of added to the fun!:)

If you can afford it, it is a special place that can't (in our opinion) be missed.

• 1 month later...
For the most part we had very nice hotels, quite nice actually. I can't really speak about the hotel in Lima be cause we got there after midnight and left very early in the morning. It did seem nice though and from what our friends said, it was in a nice location. The hotel in the Sacred Valley was the best. We stayed there 2 nights. The room was one of the best rooms we have ever stayed in. Everyone loved that hotel. The hotel at Machu Picchu was not that good. It was probably one of the best hotels in town but compared to the other hotels we were in it was not very good. If you were on one side you had the train about 30 feet from your window. If you were on the other side you had the river which was very loud. The rooms were small and didn't even have a desk. The hotel in Cusco was very nice but dark. Part of it was built on old ruins. It didn't matter though because by tie we got there I was so exhausted I could barely move. We had another very nice hotel in Santiago.

The travelling on this trip was not bad at all. We were never in a bus for more than an hour and a half and I think that was just once going back to Cusco after Machu Picchu. All other times it was an hour or less. We didn't mind any of it because the scenery was just stunning.

I will need to do more research on Hotels but this is very helpful thank you. Possibly looking to do this in a couple of years now as we have another cruise we are considering for 2017.

• 2 months later...

We've been to Machu Picchu twice. 2 years ago in May and again this past April. Both times we used Kuoda Travel for our tours. Kuoda is based in Cusco and we rave about their service.

I haven't been on an excursion from the ship but I spoke to several that did the 3 night one that Oceania offered after our cruise. In a word, they described it as RUSHED. I coordinated the tours for groups of 13, 4 and 8, spending 3, 4 and 5 nights in the Sacred Valley/MP/Cusco area. Two years ago, we spent 12 nights in Peru. It's worth seeing and especially being able to spend more time enjoying it for less money than what is offered by the various cruises. Also, altitude sickness can be a factor and feeling sick but needing to force yourself to travel is not the way to appreciate the sites.

FYI - I know of a couple that just canceled their cruises and intend on going to MP etc. this coming April/May. If that is of interest to anyone, I can put you in touch with them.

In 2017 the Crown will stop in BA for 3 days and 2 nights. Does anyone know if you can leave the ship overnight. Hope to visit Iguazu Falls.

Happy cruising.

Should be able to. Be sure to let the Purser's desk know you will be off of the ship and let them know how to contact you. Verify with Princess HQ you can do this before booking your trip to the Falls.

Also let your cabin steward know so he/she will not worry that the cabin does not appear to be used.

I have been looking at this cruise for some time now. I would be interested to hear of anyone experience of this. We have cruise with Princess several times now. What I am most interested in is when is the best time to go? Also, the amount of traveling between locations on the land tour(6 days) and the cruise around Cape Horn as in was is a nice cruise or was it bad seas? Thank you :)

In 2012 we sailed on the Star Princess 30 days from Rio around Cape Horn to San Francisco. It was a great trip, and by the way a nice percentage of British on board. The ports were very interesting, not like the normal tropical ports. On our trip we circled Cape Horn, which is an island, and the sea was glass like. Our scenic voyage in the Straights of Magellen past the four southern glaciers was really nice. Heading north up the Chile coast the seas were calm so the Captain was able to sail into the Chilean Fiords where there were spectacular views. The only time we hit rocky water was at the southern end of Chile when we entered the Pacific Ocean. Of course you can never tell in advance how the seas will be and if the ship can get into every scheduled port of call.

We enjoyed it so much that we booked the Feb 15, 2017 voyage on the Crown Princess sailing from Valparaiso (Santiago) to Fort Lauderdale, it is 33 days with a two night overnight in Buenos Aires and a one night overnight in Rio. We plan to spend a few nights in Santiago and then a few nights at the seaside resort town of Vina del Mar pre-cruise. Take a look, a small roll call has begun.

I can not comment on Machu Picchu as I have never been there.