Things to do in St. Maarten

Jerseyboy3

If you like food, go over to the french side of the island to sarafina's. The market area there is very interesting, and it is fun to see the two sides/two cultures French and Dutch, on one island. St Martin is one of my favorite stops in the Caribbean.:)

Hi, I see you are fairly new. The Moderator is going to move your thread to the ports section. If you look there, you will find much more info. I liked Bernards tour. It was around $40, went to several places on the island, including Mayo. Google it and check it out.

Edited by AngAndBoys

We hopped off the ship right away and got picked up at the taxi stand for Orient Beach.

$8 per person each way for 20 min ride. We were one of the first people on the beach. $20 for 2 loungers with good pads and Umbrellas. Bucket of six beers for $18 and they take credit cards.

Heaven!!

We did Bernard's tour in St Maarten. Got to see both sides of the island, spent a decent amount of time time at Orient beach & Maho. Ate yummy French pastries.

Then we got dropped of in Phillipsburg. There is a museum there full of Star Wars movie props (and some other movies as well) Google 'That Yoda Guy' for more info.

We did an excursion with "rhino riders" I think. It was kind of like a wave runner hybrid. SO cool! My kids loved it and so did we. We drove out to a snorkel spot after seeing both sides of the island. I would totally recommend this excursion and when we get back to St. Maarten some day we would like to do it again!

RoxyNC

Thanks! I will look into it!

If you want to join our private tour with Joyce Tours, lemme know. We have spot for 2 more. We tell her what we want and where.

Also note that Sarafina's is closed on Mondays, which is when our ship is in port (I'm pretty sure you're on the 3/22/15 Valor cruise).

--Kevin

If you want to join our private tour with Joyce Tours, lemme know. We have spot for 2 more. We tell her what we want and where.

Also note that Sarafina's is closed on Mondays, which is when our ship is in port (I'm pretty sure you're on the 3/22/15 Valor cruise).

--Kevin

Sarafina's came in 3rd in the recent Best of 2014 ratings by the local newspaper.

The winner was La Sucriere.

We visit La Sucriere and also the Taste Factory, both on the Dutch side in the Simpson Bay area. These are on the main road between Mullet/Maho and Philipsburg, so should be an easy stop on your tour with Joyce.

gary

Sarafina's came in 3rd in the recent Best of 2014 ratings by the local newspaper.

We visit La Sucriere and also the Taste Factory, both on the Dutch side in the Simpson Bay area. These are on the main road between Mullet/Maho and Philipsburg, so should be an easy stop on your tour with Joyce.

gary

thanks Gary! We were wondering where to go with Sarafina's closed.

You can go to Orient Beach (nude), but don't take any pictures you might get arrested. It happened to a friend of mine!

During 57 weeks staying on island over the last 35 years I have never even heard of anyone being arrested for taking pictures.

I HAVE witnessed a camera being tossed into the bay after the photographer refused to delete pictures when apprehended by Club Orient security.

Also, this:

th_DSCN3362.jpg

(click)

gary

During 57 weeks staying on island over the last 35 years I have never even heard of anyone being arrested for taking pictures.

I HAVE witnessed a camera being tossed into the bay after the photographer refused to delete pictures when apprehended by Club Orient security.

Also, this:

th_DSCN3362.jpg

(click)

gary

You are right. She was threatened to be arrested unless she turned over her camera. She claimed she didn't have one. She stuck it down the back of her swimsuit bottom. When they were talking to her it fell out and they took it away.

gary

Is the Daily Herald the Island newspaper or the St. Maarten newspaper? Is the Daily Herald even printed in French? We travel all over the island but I have met many, many folks living on the Dutch side of the island that rarely go to Marigot.

Personally I prefer La Sucriere and Serafina's to the Taste Factory.

karysa, good point.

I try to (purposely) use the term "local paper" to describe the Daily Herald, as it is by far the largest circulation paper on the island, and covers both sides of the island, adjacent islands, the entire Caribbean, and (surprisingly) has great coverage of the rest of the world. I regularly see news there before our local paper prints the story. :)

It is only published in English, but remember that the Official Language of St. Maarten is Dutch. All legal documents are in Dutch. English seems to be widely accepted. :)

I have no idea how many French-side readers there are or how many voted, or how many Dutch-side readers venture over to Marigot, but Sarafina's did garner enough votes to come in third place in the category.

gary

p.s. What do you think of Zee Best?

karysa, good point.

I try to (purposely) use the term "local paper" to describe the Daily Herald, as it is by far the largest circulation paper on the island, and covers both sides of the island, adjacent islands, the entire Caribbean, and (surprisingly) has great coverage of the rest of the world. I regularly see news there before our local paper prints the story. :)

It is only published in English, but remember that the Official Language of St. Maarten is Dutch. All legal documents are in Dutch. English seems to be widely accepted. :)

I have no idea how many French-side readers there are or how many voted, or how many Dutch-side readers venture over to Marigot, but Sarafina's did garner enough votes to come in third place in the category.

gary

p.s. What do you think of Zee Best?

I only went to Zee Best once. We went to the one at Port de Paissance ?sp We enjoyed the location on the water and we loved their slogan "French food without the attitude." I enjoyed the pastries but I didn't like them placing the basket of assorted pastries in a basket on the table and charging you for what you ate. I prefer to choose what I like myself.

:confused:

Also, this:

th_DSCN3362.jpg

(click)

gary

For scardicat: First post eh? Hmm:D

Let's say that you are serious. ;) If someone throws your underwater camera in the water then you can use your snorkel equipment and retrieve it.

Edited by Karysa