Fun Beach Bar Restaurant in Roatan

bluehawks47

Can anyone recommend a fun bar/restaurant on a beach in Roatan? We don't want to do a whole day pass at a resort. We would love to take a taxi to a nearby beach with a fun bar to hang out for a couple of hours and then head back to the ship. Any suggestions? Thank you

Can anyone recommend a fun bar/restaurant on a beach in Roatan? We don't want to do a whole day pass at a resort. We would love to take a taxi to a nearby beach with a fun bar to hang out for a couple of hours and then head back to the ship. Any suggestions? Thank you

If you dock at Mahogany Bay, you have both beach and bar right there.

If you dock in Coxen Hole your best bet is either West End or West Bay, the worry here is taxi fee, taxi are not regulated so the fee could be high, additionally it may be difficult to find a taxi to return you to the ship so.. one need to haggle round trip price. With that said, if you decide to go to West End there may be a few more taxi available for the turn trip... were I on a ship with a dead line I would not want that kind of a worry.

Right then, Sundowner's in West End is right on Half Moon Bay beach. They have a very loyal following, one upon a time they would arrange transport, I believe they have a Facebook page with contact.

Bananarama will arrange transport, they offer a day pass, I understand they cracked down on security so I am not sure what their thoughts are on people showing up to the bar, it may be worth your while to contact them.

Beacher's is also on West Bay, I understand they have some of the best food and drinks on the beach. Transport may be a worry unless you sort it before hand. It is possible they could call you a cab.

If you have risk factor in you..I suggest you start in West End at Sundowner's then hop a water taxi to West Bay, you could either wander about all the watering holes on the beach or choose two.. keeping in mind transport back needs to be sorted.

[quote name=Guest 2000;48300769Bananarama will arrange transport' date=' they offer a day pass, I understand they cracked down on security so I am not sure what their thoughts are on people showing up to the bar, it may be worth your while to contact them.

If you have risk factor in you..I suggest you start in West End at Sundowner's then hop a water taxi to West Bay, you could either wander about all the watering holes on the beach or choose two.. keeping in mind transport back needs to be sorted.[/quote]

The Thirsty Turtle is open to the beach public.

A nice day on Roatan is a little tour then getting dropped in West End to walk the bay and shop and see the area, then water taxi over to West bay where our driver meets us. Would not consider WE risky at all...just a funkier vibe than West Bay is with its nicer resorts...

Edited by blue_water

The Thirsty Turtle is open to the beach public.

A nice day on Roatan is a little tour then getting dropped in West End to walk the bay and shop and see the area, then water taxi over to West bay where our driver meets us. Would not consider WE risky at all...just a funkier vibe than West Bay is with its nicer resorts...

Pardon me, I didn't mean to suggest West End is risky but the starting in West End without a taxi sorted for the return would be taking a bit of risk. That whole ship dead line freaks me out some. :0)

I am not sure what Bananarama's policy is these days, I know their security is watchful.. perhaps it is only those who wish loungers that are questioned. If one is going to the bar to spend money I can't imagine why they would be concerned. There was a time the good hospitality of Bananarama was being taken advantage off so the owner's shifted their policy a bit.

I much prefer Beacher's...to each there own.

Pardon me, I didn't mean to suggest West End is risky but the starting in West End without a taxi sorted for the return would be taking a bit of risk. That whole ship dead line freaks me out some. :0)

I am not sure what Bananarama's policy is these days, I know their security is watchful.. perhaps it is only those who wish loungers that are questioned. If one is going to the bar to spend money I can't imagine why they would be concerned. There was a time the good hospitality of Bananarama was being taken advantage off so the owner's shifted their policy a bit.

I much prefer Beacher's...to each there own.

Thanks! Yes loungers are another story...And they may also be pushy after you've been sitting at a table for awhile after eating and not buying drinks as there is limited space. They were also charging for the restrooms last 2 visits...paying guests got to pee for free! :p

We prefer WE for the funkier atmosphere and small shops and bars, would probably stay in WB on a land vacation and go to WE for the evening...

But the WE/WB combo is a great time

Are you sailing on NCL or RCL? You'll dock in Coxen Hole.

You can walk from the cruise port center to Two Doves. Sits on the water. Not a "beach bar" per se. But good drinks and local cuisine. There are reviews and pictures on Trip Advisor if you want to research further.

Great! Thank you very much. We have some info to think about. I also worry about getting back to the ship on time.

We work with a private tour guide who has excellent drivers, they treat you like family and watch over you and will stay with you whatever you choose to do. For $25pp that's a very inexpensive way to see more of the island and also enjoy a beach. We last cruised there with friends visiting for their first time and they really enjoyed the flexibility of a private driver. We chose to be dropped in WE and spend a little time there then water taxi to WB where our driver met us and waited for us. We of course treat her to lunch and enjoy her company.

Edited by blue_water

We work with a private tour guide who has excellent drivers, they treat you like family and watch over you and will stay with you whatever you choose to do. For $25pp that's a very inexpensive way to see more of the island and also enjoy a beach. We last cruised there with friends visiting for their first time and they really enjoyed the flexibility of a private driver. We chose to be dropped in WE and spend a little time there then water taxi to WB where our driver met us and waited for us. We of course treat her to lunch and enjoy her company.

That sounds great! Is it $25 per person for a half day or the whole day? Do you remember the name of the private tour guide?

Thank you

That sounds great! Is it $25 per person for a half day or the whole day? Do you remember the name of the private tour guide?

Thank you

Theris Dixon is the operator, a smaller outfit that bends over backwards to make your day enjoyable. We had Carmen for our driver last visit and it was like we were family, she was amazing! The girls actually had tears in their eyes when saying goodbye to Carmel...much nicer than a group tour or using an operator with a larger outfit.

The price is $25pp for 2 ppl and $40pp for 4. If your ship is diverted from Mahogany Bay to Coxen Hole the driver will be waiting for you. They will give you easy directions to find them when coming off the ship away from the crowds. Also we paid cash at the end of the day, no cancellation fee if your ship misses the port, etc.

Can't recommend this group highly enough!

If your looking for a fun, funky and safe place that that locals hang out, go to Tita's Pink Sea Horse at the end of West End Road. Not much to look at, but great service, food and fun and a quaint beach area. They have beach volley ball and I believe kayaks as well. They won't do you wrong.