Avoid Bermuda in June 2017?

Mickfarland4

Would you avoid cruising to Bermuda in June 2017 during the America's Cup? We've never been there and I and the kids have never been on a cruise. NCL has what looks like a good promotion for us, but, it is during the race and I'm confused as to how crowded they predict it'll be and how it would affect our trip. Thank you!

Bermuda is a very small island and it can be crowded any time, especially when there are two ships in the port. I am only guessing but I would say that during the month of June this year, it could become very crowded with the America Cup Races. There are no rental cars on Bermuda so that won't be a problem but that many people on that small of an island, ferries and buses are going to be overflowing. If you have never been there, June would not be my first choice to go to Bermuda. Bermuda is a beautiful island. My favorite to visit for sure but never during the America Cup Races.

Would you avoid cruising to Bermuda in June 2017 during the America's Cup? We've never been there and I and the kids have never been on a cruise. NCL has what looks like a good promotion for us, but, it is during the race and I'm confused as to how crowded they predict it'll be and how it would affect our trip. Thank you!

I usually go in June but won't in 2017 on a ship that docks at the Dockyard because I am not interested in the race. It could be great for people interested in the race. The finish line is at the Dockyard and I expect many of the spectator boats will launch from the Dockyard as there is a marina there. The Dockyard is already pretty crowded when the Breakaway is docked. Been there with the Breakaway being docked so I know that. I can't predict what it is going to be like for sure..... so personally I have decided not to risk it. It might turn out okay but there are other months and other years.

I love Bermuda from the beaches to the people any fear of a crowd won't keep us away.. Have never feared a crowd otherwise would never have gotten on a cruise ship with thousands of passengers, or a nascar race, concert or the Indy 500...

We've cruised to Bermuda 25 of so time over the past 35 or so years.We were on a cruise to Bermuda 4 yrs ago whilst "Bermuda Cup". There were "more" folks out and about, but not significantly enough to make a real difference. That was pre-NCL "Breakaway". Last year we were on the "Summit". The "Cup Crowd" was significantly less apparent than the 5000 people the "Breakaway" discharges.

Ok so no avoiding Bermuda in June for me cruise is booked.

Can you watch some of the America's cup? How bad is it going to be?

Any recommendations for a nice beach day?

Hard to predict how bad but since the race events will be at 2:00 to 3:30 or 4:00. The finish line is at the Dockyard so if you are there on days with races you should be able to see stuff late afternoon there.

You could go to Horseshoe Bay for a nice beach day. I would suggest heading out from the Dockyard between 9 and 10 to avoid congestion.

Ok so no avoiding Bermuda in June for me cruise is booked.

Can you watch some of the America's cup? How bad is it going to be?

Any recommendations for a nice beach day?[/quoteH How bad is what going to be? Of course you can watch the America's cup. There is several viewing area's and the official village will have large video screens to follow the action and also several official boats that will have spots for those who want to watch from a catamaran or boat..of course for a price.. Horseshoe is the most popular beach and only a 4.00$ bus ride away..Warwick and Elbow beach are also good beaches to visit...

How bad is what going to be? Of course you can watch the America's cup. There is several viewing area's and the official village will have large video screens to follow the action and also several official boats that will have spots for those who want to watch from a catamaran or boat..of course for a price.. Horseshoe is the most popular beach and only a 4.00$ bus ride away. Warwick and Elbow beach are also good beaches to visit...

If docking at the Dockyard, you can also view the action from an open upper deck of the cruise ship.

The cash fare for for the public bus is $5.00; a token is $4.50. The beach shuttle bus is $7.00 p/p. All are 2016 prices.

Warwick Beach and the public side of Elbow Beach do not have the facilities that Horseshoe Bay has. WB and EB are good beaches but without the facilities that many beach goers want.

SBtS

Edited by SailBadtheSinner
speling

We booked the Jun 9-16 NCL cruise to Bermuda lastnight....and then I found out about Americas Cup! Gah! That being said, the more I think about it, the more I'm excited. My husband and I have never seen anything like the Americas Cup so it'll give us the opportunity to check it out from "afar" (on the top deck of our ship!) and maybe hobnob with some serious spenders :D

The way I see it is it is a new experience and I'm looking forward to it. It can't be any busier than Castaway Cay with two Disney ships porting that day, LOL.

We booked the Jun 9-16 NCL cruise to Bermuda lastnight....and then I found out about Americas Cup! Gah! That being said, the more I think about it, the more I'm excited. My husband and I have never seen anything like the Americas Cup so it'll give us the opportunity to check it out from "afar" (on the top deck of our ship!) and maybe hobnob with some serious spenders :D

The way I see it is it is a new experience and I'm looking forward to it. It can't be any busier than Castaway Cay with two Disney ships porting that day, LOL.

Some will be excited and will like it. I saw some practice runs last June and found it pretty boring myself. There was about a minute that quickly passed when I first saw the boat and wasn't expecting it that was exciting. High tech multi million dollar boats that are not like any you would sail. I used to watch the races on TV years ago when they raced sailboats that were like boats I had sailed but I stopped when it became a bunch of Billionaires and hired sailors on high tech catamarans. The America's Cup Village will be completed, it is still under construction, so I could see that as a fun place to visit. The hoopla will likely be fun. I personally don't want to spend three days at the Dockyard. I get out of the Dockyard and go to the wonderful beaches and to St.George's. I foresee doing that might be a hassle from what I know about the roads and ferries from my previous trips to Bermuda. So I am not booking this year but those who are into "events" and large crowds should do so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

• 4 weeks later...