Dunns River Falls - how difficult?

Justicedog

How difficult is it to do Dunns River Falls?

I'm not athletic and not in shape at all (read fat) and I can be very clutzy. The linking hands and climbing up frightens me as I would be concerned of falling and taking out everyone in my group and below. I can walk up stairs and along paths, but not for miles and miles or particularly fast. There seems to be stairs there. Is there a way to peel off and hit the stairs if it gets too difficult? or is there somewhere that there'd be a place for me to wait at the bottom or some observation area where they'd get to climb and have fun if I'm not able to keep up. I do not want to break a leg and take out innocent tourists.

I've got 2 teenagers and a husband I'd be with and hate holding them back on things.

This is our first cruise, so I'm planning on doing a Royal Caribbean excursion. I understand it's more expensive and crowded, but I don't have the nerve or time to research other options.

Dunn's river falls was moderately difficult for me. It's not something that would hold anyone back in your party though. Everyone holds hands and helps the next person up. I was behind my husband and in front of another cruiser who also helped me. I was in my late 20's when we did this excursion. It was great! I've seen kids do it. I wouldn't recommend little ones doing this.

SEARCH .......

many many times this has been discussed

SEARCH

if you can climb stairs .... 4 flights, slowly

you can handle the "cruise ship special" DRF climb . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

Climbing the Dunns River Falls was on my bucket list but unfortunately didn't get to go the first 2 times we were in Jamaica. Last year we were in Jamaica at AI for week at 53 I have bad ankles bad knees and differently not in great shape but we decided to take a catamaran trip to the falls my intention was to walk the steps one of the girls work on the catamaran told me to start if I felt it was to hard the guide would help get me out and over to the stairs. As we were getting to the first area that the stop for pictures thus a little rest I slipped and was going to quit as not to slow up the whole group the guide moved my hubby and I to the front and let me set the pace the whole group was very nice about it. By the time we got to the top I was exhausted but was a experience I will never forget say go for it .

• 2 months later...

I'm glad I found this thread. Boyfriend wants to climb the falls, I am nervous. I'm 56 years old and 60 pounds overweight -- but I recently lost 65 pounds, I've been doing a lot of walking for exercise, and knowing that I can get out of the water if I have to, convinced me to go for it.

I'm glad I found this thread. Boyfriend wants to climb the falls, I am nervous. I'm 56 years old and 60 pounds overweight -- but I recently lost 65 pounds, I've been doing a lot of walking for exercise, and knowing that I can get out of the water if I have to, convinced me to go for it.

If you can climb a flight of stairs and get out of a swimming pool using the ladder then you can do DRF without issue. (in my opinion)

Go for it. You'll enjoy the climb and will be happy you did it. They take lots of breaks so that people can enjoy the different "fun" areas of the falls. I was originally worried because I have a bad knee, and am overweight. I actually didn't find the climb as hard as I thought it would be.

If you are concerned, you can mention it to your guide and he'll likely get you to the front of the line so that he can assist you. He'll also expect a nice tip at the end too lol!

I'm going to be a little more conservative on this than some of the other people. One thing to keep in mind is that the water flow can vary from trip to trip, and when the flow is high, it's definitely a more difficult climb. Broken bones happen, I've seen people getting back on the ship in Ochos multiple times with fresh casts.

I would definitely agree with the comments that if you're unsure to make sure you let the guides know so they can get you right at the front of the line. They were great with my wife, and I honestly don't know if she would have been able to make it if she hadn't been at the front of the line.

And of course, unless things have changed since I did it, your reward for making it up is the hard sell of everything from photos/video of your trip up and running the gauntlet of vendors at the marketplace at the top.

I've done it myself. I did enjoy it when I did it, and I definitely wouldn't have been accused of being a fitness model when I did it (or now). I wouldn't personally do it again, and having done it once, I'd be lying if I said I felt there isn't some legit risk to doing it.

So I wouldn't necessarily say don't do it, but I also tend to feel that some people do downplay the difficulty and risk of injury. If it's your first stop on the cruise, you could find yourself doing a lot less on the cruise. Of course, all of life involves some risk (heck, my first cruise, where I did the climb, was also the Crown tilt cruise, which was definitely a far more frightening experience).

• 3 weeks later...

Jumping onto this thread because it's basically half of the question that I had. However, one more thing: Royal Caribbean's descriptions of their shore excursions that include Dunn's River Falls say that there is an observation area where you can watch if not climbing. Where is that area? What happens when the climbers get to the top? Do they come back down to the observation area? Beach area??

I guess my confusion is Royal's description seems to indicate you can go on the excursion and watch your family members do the climb, but not climb yourself. If so, where do we meet back up? I am not going to climb (and no, you can't convince me to do it, there are various reasons for not climbing) but DH and two sons would love to do it.

Jumping onto this thread because it's basically half of the question that I had. However, one more thing: Royal Caribbean's descriptions of their shore excursions that include Dunn's River Falls say that there is an observation area where you can watch if not climbing. Where is that area? What happens when the climbers get to the top? Do they come back down to the observation area? Beach area??

I guess my confusion is Royal's description seems to indicate you can go on the excursion and watch your family members do the climb, but not climb yourself. If so, where do we meet back up? I am not going to climb (and no, you can't convince me to do it, there are various reasons for not climbing) but DH and two sons would love to do it.

When you first get to the park it will be like an amusement park in the fact that you will go through some turnstiles and then make you way back to the main park area. From there you will take a series of steps all the way down to the beach. So basically you start at the top of the falls and walk down to start. Big difference is that it takes you about 2-3 minutes to walk down via a sidewalk and steps. LOL

I didn't spectate so I don't know the exact specifics but as you climb you can look up and see the wooden platforms/walkway where people are looking down at everyone climbing. Family can wave to each other, take pictures, etc. at certain spots along the way. Spectators appear to just walk along a path that overlook the falls.

When you (climbers) reach the top you walk up about 5 wooden stairs and you are back in the paved park area.

Hope this helps.